• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Hiring Holtz hasn't helped USF ticket sales

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

Ajus, most Florida season ticket holders live outside Gainesville. Weak excuse.

It's the economy vs. Demand. No biggie, we'll survive.

very valid point, I am just saying to take it into account

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

economy vs demand is what it all comes down to.

everyone who has EVER been to a USF game knows that you can get tickets from scalpers at the gate.  even the sold out games can still be bought for $25 a ticket at the gate (problem with playing in an NFL city in and NFL stadium...scalpers everywhere)

win and the demand goes up....when the demand goes up it makes more people want a seat that they know will be there.

i will always be a season ticket holder and i hope many of you feel the same way.

everything great has the start somewhere.  why not now?

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Matt, I can tell you, around Ohio Stadium on gameday there are more scalpers than I've seen at RJS for a sold out bucs game. It's the market. Plenty of seats = lower prices

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Back to the title of the article....Scott Carter I totally disagree.

I can say personally, Holtz got me to renew season tickets that WERE NOT going to be renewed if Leavitt were still coaching USF.

Economics played into it yes, I could not renew all of them but I did renew half of them after Leavitt was fired and Holtz came on board. Prior to that I had decided to let all of them go.

I don't know if anyone else was of that mindset but I can say for sure Holtz saved 5 season tickets.

• Content Count:  4

I can say personally, Holtz got me to renew season tickets that WERE NOT going to be renewed if Leavitt were still coaching USF.

Economics played into it yes, I could not renew all of them but I did renew half of them after Leavitt was fired and Holtz came on board. Prior to that I had decided to let all of them go.

I don't know if anyone else was of that mindset but I can say for sure Holtz saved 5 season tickets.

Hey Brown Bull, a colleague of mine who is a big USF fan said I should come on and respond, so here I am...hope everyone is well...just got done watching Rays lose to Yanks, tough loss...

As for the headline to the article, I didn't really think that was the best summation of the story either...I don't write headlines, but if I did, maybe "Holtz's hiring hasn't boosted USF ticket sales significantly" or "USF season-ticket sales remain flat despite Holtz's hiring.'' etc...you get the idea...

W/out question, there are some fans like you who bought season tickets because of Holtz's hiring and the renewed optimist that he brings to the program...some didn't because Leavitt is no longer around and they view him as the face of USF football and think he got the shaft...in the big picture, appears the two factions may have evened each other out since sales are on similar pace as last season...I do believe the economy remains a factor, and quite frankly, that home schedule doesn't get me too excited either.

Of course, this is why I love sports and how nothing is as black and white as it often seems...if USF wins more than expected this season -- who knows, pulls a shocker at UF -- I'm guessing the next home game after UF will be packed with fans (some as new season-ticket holders)...

bottom line to me is how many season-ticket holders per season is reasonable for a program like USF...IF FSU is only around 35,000 this season, to me 20,000 at USF doesn't seem to bad...UCF is only at around 15,000...the nearly 28,000 in 2008 for USF was actually more than I expected when researching the topic...

anyway, just wanted to chime in and if nothing else, clarify that I don't write the headlines except on my blog on tbo.com...if you don't like a headline there, feel free to rip me :) ... hope everyone has a good weekend.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Scott,

Thanks for coming aboard and clarifying.  Hope to see you often.

While it may disagree with many a Bulls fan, I think it's quite possible that USF lost as many ticket holders as they had hoped to gain - related to the firing.  But what do I know?  I continue to renew my 8 tickets as I have done since 1997.

Brad

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I continue to renew my 8 tickets as I have done since 1997.

I honestly don't understand why one wouldn't do that, especially if you've been doing it for that long, unless financial reasons come into play. Season tickets/donations are the lifeblood of major college football programs and witholding that, at this stage of our development, just contributes to stunting our growth.

• Content Count:  185

Just curious since I am not down there anymore, but could the gulf crisis maybe have a little part to play in why some have not renewed?

Are people down there trying to stock up like a Hurricane is about to hit b/c of that problem?

If so that would make a lot more sense to me especially considering even at 11% the unemployment rate is not acceptable regardless of who you are getting your stats from and it obviously is only worse since not all are counted.

It can also go the other way as some receive it and are not expecting to go back to work right away. Although I would think that is not a majority idea and more of what situation you are in.

Anyways like most have said if you win they will come b/c in TB most would put a second mortgage on their house to follow a winning football program! Football is king in Florida and if you win you are in as for the Florida comparisons you are talking about people who have been season ticket holders for 10-30-who knows how long of years and are not going to give that up. Also most that graduate from there have a school pride that is a little better and are either a doctor, lawyer or accountant and have a very high paying job which they could afford to go to G-ville for the weekend.

Also we have to understand the mentality that the U had back in the early 80's when no one would go to the games but they got creative and started to win and it built a buzz that lasted as long as they were winning. Which is the same thing we can do but in my opinion a lot stronger since most Miami fans(I am one) are fair weather fans and only around when it matters and if you are winning.

• Content Count:  4,879

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

if nothing else, this you can count on! 

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

+1 saved my seats and paid more this year.

Archived