• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumor Mill: SEC invites A&M, Texas, and VT

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,201

I don't see VT in the SEC I can see Clemson, FSU and A&M and GTech.

That would open up a door for ACC for USF.

Yeah this is a awesome offseason :)

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

A&M must be going to the SEC...crazy.  will VT be the next to bolt, and who will the acc invite????  exciting indeed.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

So what does that mean? Who would be the Pac-10 16th school? Who would be the SEC 14th school? Or would they stay odd? I seriously doubt the Pac-10 wants to replace TAMU with Baylor.

Would the SEC expand to 16? So many questions now.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

So what does that mean? Who would be the Pac-10 16th school? Who would be the SEC 14th school? Or would they stay odd? I seriously doubt the Pac-10 wants to replace TAMU with Baylor.

Would the SEC expand to 16? So many questions now.

Utah will prolly get a hard look from the pac as well as kansas. 

If the SEC adds A&M i think they look at the following schools- Clemson, FSU, Va Tech, North Carolina, Georgia Tech to add balance to the East. 

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

FSU has rejected the SEC before.  I think it has a lot more to do with pride than money.  They don't want to be in a conference with the Gators, or at least didn't.

A&M would fit.  I could even see the SEC think about trying to pick off Oklahoma and Oklahoma State from going PAC-10.  Texas will avoid the SEC mainly because they wouldn't be the big dog on the block with the Alabama's, Floridas, etc. 

Miami could get asked into the SEC, though UF has not been a fan of that idea.  UF would take FSU, but I'm not sure FSU would be too keen.  UNC is so tied into the ACC, a conference rooted in North Carolina.  Clemson might bite.  Same for Georgia Tech, who was a founding member of the SEC before leaving in the 60s.  VT would be appealing, but I'd guess that VT and Virginia might be a package deal at this point.  There's also the possibility of them looking at Louisville.  Charlie Strong is well respected not just in Gainesville.  UK might not like it.

I'd guess that A&M would be a target because they don't want to be tied to the Longhorns' and thought of as just following Texas.  They also bring in the Texas market.  Georgia Tech solidifies the Georgia market IF UGA doesn't object strongly.  Clemson is appealing for its tradition, but VT and UVA are more appealing due to Virginia being larger than SC and them also having an "in" into DC and bits of Maryland.

FSU is appealing IF they want in. 

I think it might end up with A&M, GT, VT, and UVA going to the SEC with Louisville subbing for GT if UGA objects, though UK might not like it. 

So, anywhere from two or three teams left out of the ACC.  I see most of the Big East splitting up as the Big Ten snags Pitt, Syracuse, and Rutgers at least.  UConn, USF, WVU, Cincy, etc may then all wind up in the ACC with the UCFs and East Carolinas filling in any gaps to get to 16. 

Then whoever is left in the Big 12 (Kansas, KU, Iowa State, etc) join Boise St and move to the MWC and apply to basically take the Big 12's qualifier with them.

So the Big East dissolves as a football conference, with the Catholic schools remaining in all other sports and keeping the name.

The PAC-10 becomes the PAC-16.

The MWC goes to 16 and becomes a BCS conference.

The SEC goes to 16.

The ACC goes to 16.

The Big Ten goes to 16.

And then all the mid-majors also consolidate with CUSA and likely the MAC. 

Those 16 team conferences will push for two BCS bids each, completely locking out everyone else, Notre Dame included.  That won't happen, but five mega conferences should each be able to get to 2 bids each with 10 slots, though they could add an extra BCS bowl.

Of course, none of these bozos see the REAL potential here for making beau coup bucks.  With 16 team conferences, I saw SCREW the championship game.  Create 4 four team divisions and a six team playoff system to determine conference champion.  Imagine the money you can make if you introduce ANY kind of playoff!  Three weeks with the top two teams getting a bye. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Ten decides to stay one short of 16 to try to force ND's hand. 

As for the Big East, I would guess that they might add schools like Xavier and Dayton for their sports and go for basically putting many of the big name Catholic schools all in one place for everything except football.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

texas cant leave texas tech

legislature wouldnt allow it

mwc cant be bcs conference until current contract expires

• Content Count:  2,019

I have a feeling we get screwed in the shake up.  While other ADs are jumping at negotiations, Woolard is too busy in court with leavitt.

• Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I don't see Carolina leaving the ACC, or Virginia for that matter.  VT may, but I see them staying also rather than being an also ran in the SEC.  FSU is a question mark on whether or not they would go.  Believe it or not, Louisville would be a likely choice for an invite.  Miami said they are happy and don't want to go.  The dark horse is USF.  Anybody who has vision can see that we would be an asset in the long term.  Getting to the BCS would be easier in the ACC, but being in the SEC would be sweet for football.  I'm still hoping for an SEC invite for the Bulls.

Go Bulls!

Archived