• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF have a rival?

Guest AstroBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,412
  • Days Won:  0

absolutely not!  Requirements for a Rivalry...

1)  Someone not associated with either school must recognize the rivalry.  (I know Duke-NC is a rivalry, OSU-UM...)

2)  It must be recognized by both schools for several years!  (USF doesn't recognize UCF as a rivalry, we played UCF every year in the 90's in baseball and it was just another school, when we played UF we considered it a rivalry, they didn't give a rat's ass)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,738

Hate to say this:  UCF is presently USF's only true rival.  We despise them so much, we won't even play them in football!

I agree... UCiF is our only true rival right now... WV is a one sided rivalry, most WV fans I have spoke with don't consider it a rivalry game.

I agree with both post. Not just in sports but in everything we just plain hate each other! The closet thing that felt like a rival games were the ones we played against them. But other than that I can't stand them it takes a lot of will power to not yell at one of those idiots when I see a ucif license tag or sticker or anything!!

i think many wvu fans would consider us a decent conference rival.

would say rutgers but we have to win some

same goes for ucf, they would have to win some.

WVU and really any of the big 3, when we play them is the only ones that would get my vote

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,645
  • Days Won:  424

Hate to say this:  UCF is presently USF's only true rival.  We despise them so much, we won't even play them in football!

I agree... UCiF is our only true rival right now... WV is a one sided rivalry, most WV fans I have spoke with don't consider it a rivalry game.

I agree with both post. Not just in sports but in everything we just plain hate each other! The closet thing that felt like a rival games were the ones we played against them. But other than that I can't stand them it takes a lot of will power to not yell at one of those idiots when I see a ucif license tag or sticker or anything!!

i think many wvu fans would consider us a decent conference rival.

would say rutgers but we have to win some

Per the strictest definition of the word "rival", we are rivals with all our conference mates:

Main Entry: ri·val

Pronunciation: \ˈrī-vəl\

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle French or Latin; Middle French, from Latin rivalis one using the same stream as another, rival in love, from rivalis of a stream, from rivus stream — more at run

Date: 1577

1 a : one of two or more striving to reach or obtain something that only one can possess b : one striving for competitive advantage

Guest Sunburned

absolutely not!  Requirements for a Rivalry...

1)  Someone not associated with either school must recognize the rivalry.  (I know Duke-NC is a rivalry, OSU-UM...)

2)  It must be recognized by both schools for several years!  (USF doesn't recognize UCF as a rivalry, we played UCF every year in the 90's in baseball and it was just another school, when we played UF we considered it a rivalry, they didn't give a rat's ***)

Where did you get those requirements???

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Wrong on despising them. They aren't a true rival. Geography does not make a rivalry.

• Content Count:  639

I agree. I think the best way to judge a rivalry is attendance at all sporting events when UCF and USF play, including Olympic Sports. Also when each beat writer mentions the other school, it usually results in the most comments/hits. Don't have numbers but I'm sure the USF-UCF matchup is usually either the highest attended or close to it for a womens volleyball match, baseball game, football game, etc. Most opposing fans I come across 'offline' want the game(especially under 35ish crowd). It really riles up people for different reasons. ;D

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

When I think if Rivalries in college football, I have to think of the ones I know fairly well.  Mich / Ohio STate.  FL / FSU.  FSU/UM.  Georgia / GT.  Alabama/Auburn.  Oregon/OSt.  Army/Navy.  

In most of those cases, those teams have been (a) playing each other for a long time (B) are geographically located near each other © have a natural bond by the state they are in or type of school (ie ARmy/Navy game and 3 hours apart), and (d) in general have trades W's and L's over a long period of time.  

In most of these, you bring the name of the game up, and people immediately recognize it as a rivalry (and usually in more than just one sport).   I think that UCF has the best chance of being a rival in the future, as it would take a long time for UM/FSU/UF to grow to a caliber of a rivalry.  The BE rivals are merely conference brethren and we hate some more than others.  But the BE will get shaken up in the conference expansion, so who knows how all of that will shake out.  Likely that WVU and others may be in a diff conference than us in 5 years or less.  

So I think that UCF has the greatest chance of "becoming" a rival for USF.  They absolutely hate us on all fronts.  And "most" USF fans do not like UCF.  Granted, we only have 4 football games to go on, and USF won all 4, but we have a lot in common.  Both are growing schools (UCF 50K students makes them top 3 in the US in enrollment, USF at about 13 with 47k students).  Both are newer schools (ie 50 years old roughly).  Both are newer to football, or at least football ascention (USF 13 years old, UCF 13 years as a D1 player).  We are about 90 minutes away from each other  in the same state.  We recruit some of the same kids in the same areas.  We have both had growing pains in our schools, fighting for budgets, and in our athletic programs.  It is likely that many kids choose between USF and UCF these days in which school they would like to attend.  

So while I would not define it as a classic rivalry yet, given the growth of both schools, and the similarities between our schools, and our proximity to each other, I would suspect that someday the UCF/USF game will be to us like the UF/FSU game is to those fans.  And I think that will happen within a decade.  

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

The Bulls biggest rivalry is the 2nd half of seasons. Which they've been losing the last three seasons.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

WV is a one sided rivalry

How is a series of 5 games that currently sits at 3-2 in USF's favor a one sided rivalry?

Their fans have a long standing rivalry with Pitt, but don't think they USF is just a cast away. We've already had a hand in keeping them out of a BCS game in 2006 and hurting their National Championship game chances in 2007.

Sorry, but we have more on the line when we play WVU. That, is a rivalry.

Guest Sunburned

When I think if Rivalries in college football, I have to think of the ones I know fairly well.  Mich / Ohio STate.  FL / FSU.  FSU/UM.  Georgia / GT.  Alabama/Auburn.  Oregon/OSt.  Army/Navy.  

Top 10 College Football Rivalries

1. Oklahoma vs Texas

Series Record: Texas leads 58-40-5.

Trophy: The Golden Hat

Known as: "The Red River Shootout". The winning team's state is  supposed to get ownership of the Red River for one year until the next game. It's one the few rivalries that are played on a neutral field. These two teams play in Dallas, Texas which is is exactly halfway between the two schools, Austin, Texas, and Norman, Oklahoma.

2. Alabama vs Auburn

Series Record: Alabama leads 38-33-1 

Trophy: Omicron Delta Kappa-James E. Foy V Sportsmanship Trophy

This college football rivalry is number one as the fire, passion and hate between the two schools is unlike any other. This game literally stops a state. The teams didn't play from 1907 to 1948 because after the 1907 game, they couldn’t decide which referees to use. The trophy for this game isn't as important as the ownership of the state that comes with a win.

3. Ohio State vs Michigan

Series Record: Michigan leads 57-41-6.

Award: Ohio State players get a gold charm in the shape of a pair of pants if they win. No rivalry has a better combination of history and championship implications than Michigan vs Ohio State.  Since 1913, the two teams have combined for all or part of 70 Big Ten titles and the have finished 1-2 in the standings 15 times since 1968.

4. Army vs Navy

Series Record: Navy Leads 52-49-7

Award: Gold cloth stars to put on their letter sweaters for victories

Notes: This game probably has more history and tradition than any other rivalry in the country. This game is also part of the Commander-In-Chief trophy(Army, Navy, & Air Force)

5. USC vs Notre Dame

Series Record: Notre Dame leads 42-32-5

Trophy: The Jeweled Shillelagh

The winner of this game has gone on to win the national title 19 times, plus these two schools have produced 11 Heisman winners.

6. Florida vs Georgia

Series Record: Georgia leads the series, 46-37-2.

Known as:  "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party"

Georgia may hold the series lead, but Florida has had Georgia's number since 1992. This rivalry is one of only a few that is played on a neutral site, Jacksonville, FL.

7. Florida State vs Miami

Series Record: Miami leads 30-23

Since the 1987, Florida State has lost out on playing for the national championship five times because of losses to Miami. The two teams have met 13 times in the last 18 years when both were ranked in the top ten. Since 1983, these two teams have combined for more national titles  than any other two rivals in the country.

8. Texas vs Texas A&M

Series Record: Texas leads the series, 70-34-5.

This was voted the top college football rivalry in a USA Today online poll.

9.  Nebraska vs Oklahoma

Oklahoma leads the series, 42-37-3.

The 1971 game was considered by many, the greatest college football game of all-time. 19 times during this series, one of these two teams have been rated #1.

10. Lafayette vs Lehigh

Series Record: Lafayette leads 76-62-5

Known as: "The Game"

This is the most-played rivalry in college football history.

http://www.americasbestonline.com/crival.htm

Archived