• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report: SEC Already Eyeing Six Teams For Possible Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Jim - it might be UCF but I sure wouldn't rule out ECU.  They have a much better record in football then UCF and their fans travel very well.  I know the TV market isn't a winner but that is not always the deciding factor.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If the Big Ten takes 3 Big East  teams (Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers) and the SEC takes the 4 ACC teams mentioned, there would  be 13 teams left that could form the Big Atlantic Conference:

Boston College

Connecticut

Cincinnati

Duke

Louisville

Maryland

Memphis

North Carolina

North Carolina State

South Florida

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

West Virginia

Who else gets added?  The ACC can't be 13...  The key would be delivering new cable markets, even if the teams are 'second' in those markets to other schools.  Best to look at states not represented by the 13 teams listed above, with schools not in a BCS conference:

Tennessee (Memphis, to a lesser extent MTSU)

Louisiana (Tulane)

Mississippi (Southern Miss)

Alabama (UAB)

Texas (Houston, to a lesser extent Rice & North Texas)

Ohio (Pick from among the MAC teams)

New York (Buffalo)

(okay, so Ohio and NY are just a joke...)

Here is how I think they will reorder the ACC... now I know UCiF is not a popular pick by many but the ACC would want to keep / compete with FSU and Miami in the Florida recruiting grounds which would make UCiF unfortunately the most logical choice to add since it would allow the ACC to maintain a 2 Florida school lock.

Boston College

Central Florida (Allows the ACC to compete in the Florida recruiting market)

Connecticut

Cincinnati

Duke

Louisville

Maryland

Memphis (Brings the Liberty Bowl)

North Carolina

North Carolina State

South Florida

Tulane (Brings the "Big Easy" into the ACC road trip picture... plus possibly the Sugar Bowl for a conf. championship game)

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

West Virginia

• Content Count:  771

If the Big Ten takes 3 Big East  teams (Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers) and the SEC takes the 4 ACC teams mentioned, there would  be 13 teams left that could form the Big Atlantic Conference:

Boston College

Connecticut

Cincinnati

Duke

Louisville

Maryland

Memphis

North Carolina

North Carolina State

South Florida

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

West Virginia

Who else gets added?  The ACC can't be 13...  The key would be delivering new cable markets, even if the teams are 'second' in those markets to other schools.  Best to look at states not represented by the 13 teams listed above, with schools not in a BCS conference:

Tennessee (Memphis, to a lesser extent MTSU)

Louisiana (Tulane)

Mississippi (Southern Miss)

Alabama (UAB)

Texas (Houston, to a lesser extent Rice & North Texas)

Ohio (Pick from among the MAC teams)

New York (Buffalo)

(okay, so Ohio and NY are just a joke...)

Here is how I think they will reorder the ACC... now I know UCiF is not a popular pick by many but the ACC would want to keep / compete with FSU and Miami in the Florida recruiting grounds which would make UCiF unfortunately the most logical choice to add since it would allow the ACC to maintain a 2 Florida school lock.

Boston College

Central Florida (Allows the ACC to compete in the Florida recruiting market)

Connecticut

Cincinnati

Duke

Louisville

Maryland

Memphis (Brings the Liberty Bowl)

North Carolina

North Carolina State

South Florida

Tulane (Brings the "Big Easy" into the ACC road trip picture... plus possibly the Sugar Bowl for a conf. championship game)

Virginia

Virginia Tech

Wake Forest

West Virginia

i highly doubt the acc will go past 12 teams if they have to add teams.  if they do it will only be to 14.  the acc has made that clear several times

i highly doubt the acc will go past 12 teams if they have to add teams.  if they do it will only be to 14.  the acc has made that clear several times

If the SEC and Big Ten go to 16 teams, the ACC will go to 16 teams - they can't afford not to do so as television deals will drive the decision.

Adding three from Memphis, Tulane, UCF, Houston, and Southern Mississippi will add to their potential cable and/or syndication market deals.

• Content Count:  4,501

If the SEC and Big Ten go to 16 teams, the ACC will go to 16 teams - they can't afford not to do so as television deals will drive the decision.

Adding three from Memphis, Tulane, UCF, Houston, and Southern Mississippi will add to their potential cable and/or syndication market deals.

I would be shocked if they even looked at Memphi or southern Miss - both schools are not even close to the acedemic level that the ACC likes.  I know money is the leading factor but the University Prezs will have a major say in the matter and it ain't just money when they look at it.

i highly doubt the acc will go past 12 teams if they have to add teams. if they do it will only be to 14. the acc has made that clear several times

I would be shocked if they even looked at Memphi or southern Miss - both schools are not even close to the acedemic level that the ACC likes. I know money is the leading factor but the University Prezs will have a major say in the matter and it ain't just money when they look at it.

True... and the Dukes and Virginias of the ACC won't even like USF, WVU, or Cincy... let alone UCF or Memphis or UAB... 

But the choices will be limited.  Forgo expansion to protect academics and lose money? Or forsake academics to expand and make money?  Almost a lose-lose decision.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I would be shocked if they even looked at Memphi or southern Miss - both schools are not even close to the acedemic level that the ACC likes.  I know money is the leading factor but the University Prezs will have a major say in the matter and it ain't just money when they look at it.

True... and the Dukes and Virginias of the ACC won't even like USF, WVU, or Cincy... let alone UCF or Memphis or UAB... 

But the choices will be limited.  Forgo expansion to protect academics and lose money? Or forsake academics to expand and make money?  Almost a lose-lose decision.

Both Cincy and USF are rated top-30 public research universities and would therefore fit nicely into the ACC.

• Content Count:  12,466
  • Days Won:  25

Which of those schools seem to be actively attempting to improve on the scholastic side? If I'm voting, from an ACC standpoint, I think that I would invite teams on a probationary term. They would have to have a plan on how they would measure up. Limit the money they recieve and base it on reaching an average the ACC is comfortable with.

I guess partial memberships, so to speak.

Both Cincy and USF are rated top-30 public research universities and would therefore fit nicely into the ACC.

Top 30? Perhaps the schools have programs in the top 30... but I can't see how USF would be in the Top 30, let alone Cincy.

What source are you using?

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Top 30? Perhaps the schools have programs in the top 30... but I can't see how USF would be in the Top 30, let alone Cincy.

http://mup.asu.edu/research.html

31st public school

What source are you using?

Archived