• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Report: SEC Already Eyeing Six Teams For Possible Expansion

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

i highly doubt the acc will go past 12 teams if they have to add teams.  if they do it will only be to 14.  the acc has made that clear several times

If the SEC and Big Ten go to 16 teams, the ACC will go to 16 teams - they can't afford not to do so as television deals will drive the decision.

Adding three from Memphis, Tulane, UCF, Houston, and Southern Mississippi will add to their potential cable and/or syndication market deals.

I would be shocked if they even looked at Memphi or southern Miss - both schools are not even close to the acedemic level that the ACC likes.  I know money is the leading factor but the University Prezs will have a major say in the matter and it ain't just money when they look at it.

True... and the Dukes and Virginias of the ACC won't even like USF, WVU, or Cincy... let alone UCF or Memphis or UAB... 

But the choices will be limited.  Forgo expansion to protect academics and lose money? Or forsake academics to expand and make money?  Almost a lose-lose decision.

Then the Big East could just pick off a few of the ACC schools.  If the four mentioned above leave, I'd put out invites to BC and VaTech to come back and to Maryland and Virginia.  Add UCF and ECU to the mix.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  2

After the new TV contract signed by the ACC, there is no way any of those schools would leave to come back to the Big East.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Both Cincy and USF are rated top-30 public research universities and would therefore fit nicely into the ACC.

Top 30? Perhaps the schools have programs in the top 30... but I can't see how USF would be in the Top 30, let alone Cincy.

What source are you using?

Actually, Cincy is in the Top-25. USF is tied for 28th with FSU.

The Top American Research Universities

The Center for Measuring University Performance

2009 Annual Report

http://mup.asu.edu/research2009.pdf

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

i highly doubt the acc will go past 12 teams if they have to add teams.  if they do it will only be to 14.  the acc has made that clear several times

If the SEC and Big Ten go to 16 teams, the ACC will go to 16 teams - they can't afford not to do so as television deals will drive the decision.

Adding three from Memphis, Tulane, UCF, Houston, and Southern Mississippi will add to their potential cable and/or syndication market deals.

I would be shocked if they even looked at Memphi or southern Miss - both schools are not even close to the acedemic level that the ACC likes.  I know money is the leading factor but the University Prezs will have a major say in the matter and it ain't just money when they look at it.

True... and the Dukes and Virginias of the ACC won't even like USF, WVU, or Cincy... let alone UCF or Memphis or UAB... 

But the choices will be limited.  Forgo expansion to protect academics and lose money? Or forsake academics to expand and make money?  Almost a lose-lose decision.

Then the Big East could just pick off a few of the ACC schools.  If the four mentioned above leave, I'd put out invites to BC and VaTech to come back and to Maryland and Virginia.  Add UCF and ECU to the mix.

As it stands right now per the ESPN rumor mill the Big10 could take Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt, (14) and maybe UConn and Syracuse (16).

If the BEast gets raided again then the **** will hit the fan and the BEast football and basketball teams will be at each others throats again.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

After the new TV contract signed by the ACC, there is no way any of those schools would leave to come back to the Big East.

If the ACC loses FSU, Miami, GaTech, and Clemson to the SEC, those TV contracts would probably be void.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

if Bigg 11 goes beyond 12, SEC & Pac10 will react and the entire landscape will be changed.  ACC and/or Big 12 could find themselves as needing of a 'rescue plan' as BE, and BE will hold the most 'best alternatives'.

Both Cincy and USF are rated top-30 public research universities and would therefore fit nicely into the ACC.

Top 30? Perhaps the schools have programs in the top 30... but I can't see how USF would be in the Top 30, let alone Cincy.

2009 Annual Report

Only if you limit the list to public institutions.... and the current ACC is not limited in that way.

Moreover, that is not the most widely accepted gauge of how strong a school is academically.  That comes from the Carnegie Foundation, where USF is among the 96 institutions in their Top tier.

http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/lookup_listings/srp.php?clq={%22basic2005_ids%22%3A%2215%22}&limit=50,50&orderby=sortname&start_page=standard.php

But I don't think we would be in the Top 30.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

As it stands right now per the ESPN rumor mill the Big10 could take Mizzou, Rutgers, Pitt, (14) and maybe UConn and Syracuse (16).

Did you even listen to one word of Jim Delaney's press conference the other day?

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

2009 Annual Report

Only if you limit the list to public institutions.... and the current ACC is not limited in that way.

Moreover, that is not the most widely accepted gauge of how strong a school is academically.  That comes from the Carnegie Foundation, where USF is among the 96 institutions in their Top tier.

http://classifications.carnegiefoundation.org/lookup_listings/srp.php?clq={%22basic2005_ids%22%3A%2215%22}&limit=50,50&orderby=sortname&start_page=standard.php

Whether you use Carnegie or The Center ratings, which are both widely respected and recognized for what they do, USF and Cincy are clearly major research universities and as such would fit nicely in the ACC.

USF and Cincy bring in more research dollars than both FSU and Miami. Genshaft has been on a mission to raise the bar on all relevant academic measures to improve our overall academic profile and has already been quite successful in doing that.  

Memorandum

To: Judy Genshaft, President

Renu Khator, Interim Provost

Carl Carlucci, Executive Vice President

Date: December 12, 2003

Subject: USF’s rankings among The Top American Research Universities

http://www.ie.usf.edu/StrategicPlan/docs/27314-USFRankings.pdf

Guest nybullsfan

2009 Annual Report

Whether you use Carnegie or The Center ratings, which are both widely respected and recognized for what they do, USF and Cincy are clearly major research universities and as such would fit nicely in the ACC.

USF and Cincy bring in more research dollars than both FSU and Miami. Genshaft has been on a mission to raise the bar on all relevant academic measures to improve our overall academic profile and has already been quite successful in doing that.  

Memorandum

To: Judy Genshaft, President

Renu Khator, Interim Provost

Carl Carlucci, Executive Vice President

Date: December 12, 2003

Subject: USF’s rankings among The Top American Research Universities

http://www.ie.usf.edu/StrategicPlan/docs/27314-USFRankings.pdf

I'm not a mathematician, but how did the MUP Center squeeze 43 schools into the Top 25?

We're not tied for #28, we're more like #49 in the MUP, probably about the same, more or less, in the Carnegie list.

Archived