• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Juco standout Poland chooses Bulls, after all

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

He was a three sport athlete in HS. Basketball, track and...FOOTBALL. I read that he was a pretty good WR. Maybe Holtz can borrow him.  ;)

High School Sports The Magazine: Central Kansas

Jawanza Poland, Wichita East senior

Second in 6A long jump

-Jawanza Poland appeared in the feature on three-sport athletes in the May issue. He appears in the lead for his outstanding prowess in three sports. A long, lanky receiver, a versatile forward and long jumper, Poland will play basketball for Cowley and coach Steve Eck next year.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Mama, I know you were being tongue in cheek, but if he plays football for us, he'd have to get a football scholarship.  He can't be under a basketball scholarship and walk-on in football.  The other way around is okay.

• Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

He was a three sport athlete in HS. Basketball, track and...FOOTBALL. I read that he was a pretty good WR. Maybe Holtz can borrow him.  ;)

The guy is just a GREAT ATHLETE PERIOD

That is why I think he is going to excel as a 2G on offense and he has the potential to be an outstanding defender. Crater, Haynes, Robertson, and Jawanza are all capable defenders which is just one more point I can make for us having a chance to be a better team once the chemistry kicks in.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

How many Juco's have been effective for us (i.e. starting quality) since joining the Big East?

Am I missing someone or is Rivas probably the best?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

“When you lose guys like Mike Mercer,

Did Mike definitely lose his bid for another year?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

How many Juco's have been effective for us (i.e. starting quality) since joining the Big East?

Rivas is probably the best, so far, acquired since joining the conference but SoJo did play one year in the BE ...

Rivas is probably the best, so far, acquired since joining the conference but SoJo did play one year in the BE ...

When healthy Ajayi was better. The best post defender I seen in a long time. Also I don't care for him that much but Famous is a starter for now.

The thing about Juco guys is a team have to sign the ones near the top of the ranking because it thins out pretty fast. Prep school has watered down the Jucos the last few years.

University of South Florida head basketball coach Stan Heath signed guard Jawanza Poland, the Bulls' fifth recruit of the 2010-11 class, to a National Letter of Intent on Tuesday.

"Jawanza is a good addition to our wing position," said Heath. "He is an outstanding athlete with tremendous quickness and defensive skills. He will bring three years of eligibility to the Bulls, and we expect him to help us immediately."

Poland, the No. 3 junior college shooting guard/small forward in the country, was the Kansas Jayhawk East All-Conference Freshman of the Year two seasons ago at Cowley College. He also earned honorable mention NJCAA All-Region VI accolades at Cowley. The 6-4, 195-pound guard averaged 13.5 points and 3.6 rebounds per game at Cowley while hitting 76 percent from the free throw line and 38 percent from long range.

After his prep ball at Wichita East High School in Kansas, Poland played one season for Cowley College, then took a redshirt season at Hutchinson (Kan.) CC, giving him three years of eligibility with the Bulls. Poland was also a high jumper and long jumper for Wichita East HS.

http://www.gousfbulls.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=204937850

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Mama, I know you were being tongue in cheek, but if he plays football for us, he'd have to get a football scholarship.  He can't be under a basketball scholarship and walk-on in football.  The other way around is okay.

I understand.

Maybe Heath left out the part of him player WR, so Holtz wouldn't get any ideas.  ;)

I remember when Jimy Baxter wanted to play WR for USF football, but CJL couldn't guaranty him a scholarship.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

At least let the football team borrow him for goal line and hailmary plays.

Archived