• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our chances against UF just got better.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting rumor I heard over the weekend about UF.  Remember when Urban said he was going to take some time off of UF.  Apparently he had figured at that point that he was going to be able to become more of a GM (General Manager) of football operations when he returned. His goal was for Charlie Strong to stay on as the Coach on staff, a kind of  "coach in waiting" position like Jimbo Fisher had at FSU.  But the issue is that once he stepped back, Bob Stoops came into the picture and expressed interest.  Urban heard that Bob Stoops had his hat in the ring, and certain key gator boosters were in favor of considerng stoops, so he had to rescind his plans to step back and take an LOA. 

Not sure how much rumor this is or how realistic, but I heard it from a very reliable source.  This source is a big contributor, and is close friends with many (read multiple) of the biggest contributors. 

Thought it was interesting, anyways.

why would urban have to step back in? does he not like stoops? or were the plans of urban going to a kind of "GM" position going to be completely scratched if stoops came in?.......

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Interesting rumor I heard over the weekend about UF.  Remember when Urban said he was going to take some time off of UF.  Apparently he had figured at that point that he was going to be able to become more of a GM (General Manager) of football operations when he returned. His goal was for Charlie Strong to stay on as the Coach on staff, a kind of  "coach in waiting" position like Jimbo Fisher had at FSU.  But the issue is that once he stepped back, Bob Stoops came into the picture and expressed interest.  Urban heard that Bob Stoops had his hat in the ring, and certain key gator boosters were in favor of considerng stoops, so he had to rescind his plans to step back and take an LOA. 

Not sure how much rumor this is or how realistic, but I heard it from a very reliable source.  This source is a big contributor, and is close friends with many (read multiple) of the biggest contributors. 

Thought it was interesting, anyways.

why would urban have to step back in? does he not like stoops? or were the plans of urban going to a kind of "GM" position going to be completely scratched if stoops came in?.......

Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear.  Urban wanted to be a GM and put Charlie in eventually as the HC and share the position.  With Stoops, he would not be the kind who would share that type of position with Urban, and he knew that, so he had to jump back into the HC position right away.  If UF had gone after Stoops, they would have needed the cash to pay for him, and could not have given Urban and Strong a sweet contract each ( or may not have been willing to do so).  WIth this plan, Urban would have had a multi million contract and Strong would have done the same.  With Stoops coming in, he would have needed $3 - 4M plus they would have had to buy out his contract.    Would have been very expensive. 

• Content Count:  743

Unexperienced QB (with no support from his head coach)

"running backs"....these guys are crappy wide outs turned running back

New Defense....not gonna be ANYWHERE CLOSE to the  Charlie Strong lines

not sure i really agree with this. Chris Rainey had over 2,000 yards rushing his senior year at Lakeland. Demps had over 3,000 in 2 years at South Lake and is one of the fastest players in college football. Yes, they are both undersized and probably can't pick up the tough 3rd and 3 yards that Urban is talking about but both of these guys are legit running backs. They are faster and stronger versions of Lamar...

• Content Count:  247

not sure i really agree with this. Chris Rainey had over 2,000 yards rushing his senior year at Lakeland. Demps had over 3,000 in 2 years at South Lake and is one of the fastest players in college football. Yes, they are both undersized and probably can't pick up the tough 3rd and 3 yards that Urban is talking about but both of these guys are legit running backs. They are faster and stronger versions of Lamar...

they also have mike gilislee, emanuel moody, and Mack brown all whom are better than any running back that we have. As for the dual quarterbacks meyer has said that he would like to use Jordan reed ,the third string qb last year who is now probably going to b the starting TE as the qb in wildcat formations in 3rd and short situations. Don't hate on brantley even though he doesn't have any experience people still said he was probably the third best qb in the sec last year.

• Content Count:  720

they also have mike gilislee, emanuel moody, and Mack brown all whom are better than any running back that we have. As for the dual quarterbacks meyer has said that he would like to use Jordan reed ,the third string qb last year who is now probably going to b the starting TE as the qb in wildcat formations in 3rd and short situations. Don't hate on brantley even though he doesn't have any experience people still said he was probably the third best qb in the sec last year.

How do we know they're RBs are better than any we have? We haven't even used any of our RBs. BJD had better running numbers than Rainey last season. As I recall (being from Lakeland) Taylor wasn't any slouch and alot of Rainey's success depended on him making holes. Also, Castle dosen't throw the ball very much so the RBs will get a bulk of all the action. Why do you think you never see Lakeland at any 7 on 7 tournaments? They don't throw the ball much.

It's easy to be the 3rd best QB in a conference when you only have an 1/8th of the attempts as everyone eles and those attempts were while you where leading by 4 touchdowns already. Brantley didn't play against one decent team last year and he NEVER took a meaningful snap. All mop up duty no pressure.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I smell gator fans on this board. 

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I smell gator fans on this board. 

As much as it sickens me, are you surprised? Most of FL residents grew up FSU/UF/Miami fans.

• Content Count:  809

Who cares what they did in HIGH SCHOOL??

Also, they're probably NOT the fastest in college. An article came out after the combine talking about how UF fluffs the crap out of their team 40 times. There's kids just as fast at every single school in the south.

UF's running backs, aren't running backs. They're glorified high school athletes.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

UF has a coupel true backs and a few slot/RB hybrid types its the way their offense works.  Basically Demps and Rainy are playing the same position that Harvin played while he was there.  If your looking for traditional 20-carry backs you won't find them there because it's not their type of offense.  Saying they have no RB's is somewhat true, but if you mean they have no one to run the ball that's pretty **** ignorant. 

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

A quick google shows that Rainey averaged 6.5ypc, playing in the SEC that's pretty **** impressive if you ask me. 

Edit: Demps averaged 7.5ypc

Archived