• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Basketball recruiting: USF is really struggling

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

USF doesn't have to go to Australia.  Saw John Henson home on break at Clearwater Beach yesterday.  He's right from Tampa's Sickles High and now playing at North Carolina.  We should be able to snag guys like him that are in our own neighborhood.

I'm pretty sure that Henson only moved to Tampa for his last year of high school and was already a UNC commit before re-locating here ...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

USF doesn't have to go to Australia.  Saw John Henson home on break at Clearwater Beach yesterday.  He's right from Tampa's Sickles High and now playing at North Carolina.  We should be able to snag guys like him that are in our own neighborhood.

I'm pretty sure that Henson only moved to Tampa for his last year of high school and was already a UNC commit before re-locating here ...

That's what I thought.

However we should be doing a better job in our on state. We should have snagged Cady Lalanne who wanted to come here but ended up at Georgia. The same caliber of player as Melvin who the USF staff seems to have a hard on for.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

My question when I see threads like this is what exactly would you be selling recruits?  We are improving each year under Heath.  he has not even had a full senior class rotate through from Freshman through their senior seasons.  it will take several more years of recruiting to get consistent better recruits in here. 

If you think one year of, what is basically average basketball, is going to turn the heads of recruits you are nuts. 

it will still take some time to undo the disaster of the last regime.  This year was a good start that will resu;t in more respect and tv time.  next year will be a very important year in the programs development.

There is no switch you can turn on to make USF a better place to recruit kids to come play basketball.  We are in the right direction.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

yeah, I think you're right.  And Henson is looking to play for a powerhouse, he's not a guy we are goign to attract.  Guys like Okaro White, a 4star from clearwater is someone who should be interested in us.

• Content Count:  366
  • Days Won:  1

yeah, I think you're right.  And Henson is looking to play for a powerhouse, he's not a guy we are goign to attract.  Guys like Okaro White, a 4star from clearwater is someone who should be interested in us.

Henson is from Texas, he just moved here cause his day got a new job. We need to attract home grown talent that want to make their home team better, I don't even know if we are trying to go after them anyways. There is a guy on Butler's team and they said he was from Tampa, so there u have it USF probably didn't even consider this guy.

• Content Count:  247
  • Days Won:  0

Henson is from Texas, he just moved here cause his day got a new job. We need to attract home grown talent that want to make their home team better, I don't even know if we are trying to go after them anyways. There is a guy on Butler's team and they said he was from Tampa, so there u have it USF probably didn't even consider this guy.

Ya his name is shawn vanzant, I played against him in high school.  He was on a very good wharton team when tonnelli was there but he is not good enough to play in the big east.  I know butler is in the championship game and no team from the big east is but he isn't as talented as the players we need to recruit.

You don't have to have 5 star payers to win but make no mistake you still have to have talented players that buy into the coaches system.

Speaking of which what kind of system does Heath have? You know I bring this up all the time but for good reason. He promises these recruits that he wants to play fast, uptempo, pressure basketball but when the games are actually played we see the opposite. I promise you that the opposing coaches use Heath's lies against him on the recruiting trail. The proof is in the stats and it shows everybody that we are a team that ranks near the bottom of the league in scoring offense. Talent athletes like what Heath tries and fails to get don't want to play in a slowdown system. Those kind of players don't want to be forced to run multiple set plays while thinking for 30 seconds working for a shot. That is the reason why Rutgers struggle under Fred Hill. When Rutgers opens it up they played much better just like USF did briefly.

Heath needs to decide how he wants to play and roll with it. With all these athletes he is recruiting we must be an uptempo team no ifs, ands, or buts about it. I promise you if we play halfcourt ball next season it will be a tremendous struggle on offense even with Jones.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

You don't have to have 5 star payers to win but make no mistake you still have to have talented players that buy into the coaches system.

Speaking of which what kind of system does Heath have? You know I bring this up all the time but for good reason. He promises these recruits that he wants to play fast, uptempo, pressure basketball but when the games are actually played we see the opposite. I promise you that the opposing coaches use Heath's lies against him on the recruiting trail. The proof is in the stats and it shows everybody that we are a team that ranks near the bottom of the league in scoring offense.

And you wonder why some would get the impression you're not overly fond of Stan ....  ;)

Speaking of which what kind of system does Heath have? You know I bring this up all the time but for good reason. He promises these recruits that he wants to play fast, uptempo, pressure basketball but when the games are actually played we see the opposite. I promise you that the opposing coaches use Heath's lies against him on the recruiting trail. The proof is in the stats and it shows everybody that we are a team that ranks near the bottom of the league in scoring offense.

And you wonder why some would get the impression you're not overly fond of Stan ....  ;)

I'm sorry Triple B but I don't sugar coat things and say everything is alright when it's not. I'm really concerned about the recruiting and the other things I've said and have harped on for weeks now. The facts are that Heath promises a system to get the athletes he likes even if he didn't want, but then he forces guys to play a way in which they are not comfortable or was never prepared to do. The recruiting business is cut throat and I'm telling you that opposing coaches pull out that stat sheet showing recruits what USF is really about, not what Heath talks out loud about.

The thing is I don't know why he's afraid to open things up more. Coach K and Tom Izzo are 5 times the coaches Heath is and both of them have changed their approach to offense. Jim Boeheim di it also but yet Heath seems to stubborn to change.

Archived