• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Football tradition, ESPN is asking

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

WAR FLAMINGO!

+1

+2

I don't know why there are people that seem to be offended by that. Can someone please let me in as to what is so bad about it?

1. It's derivative (stolen from Auburn).

2. It's stereotypical Florida. You might as well wear Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with socks to the game.

3. It's pink.

4. Flamingoes are pansy birds.

5. They look dumb when you see them in the student section on TV.

Really what USF already has set up isn't that much different than other schools. You don't want wacky traditions that look dumb to the outside world. Then you're like the nut cases at Texas A&M.

1. War EAGLE, not Flamingo.

2. I don't know what part of Florida you lived in, or who you huing out with. But, none of my friends nor I ever wore flip-flops with socks.

3. your point?

4. OK again your point?

5. NO, we can't have an original tradition, someone might thinks dumb, kind of like everyone in Ben Hill Griffin putting their arms on each others shoulders and singing we are the boys of old Florida (or something like that) aTm is WELL known as the home of the 12th man, at least to those of us over 35.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest nybullsfan

WAR FLAMINGO!

+1

+2

I don't know why there are people that seem to be offended by that. Can someone please let me in as to what is so bad about it?

1. It's derivative (stolen from Auburn).

Adapted from Auburn, and if that bothers you, you must NEVER, EVER raise your hand in the Go Bulls salute again, since it was stolen (not adapted) from Texas.

Nor shout GREEN > GOLD again since our colors were stolen from U San Fran

Instead of thinking small time idea robbers, it's better to believe we're standing on the shoulders of giants.

WAR FLAMINGO, Y'ALL!!

GO BULLS!! BEAT DEPAUL!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

so you're saying we should have a "do over" on all our traditions?  ;D

Only on the flamingo. :D

B-b-M, do you even know what "derivative" means? And if you've never seen old people around Tampa Bay in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with socks, I'd love to know where you spend your time. I think there's still a shuffleboard and bocce park in downtown St. Petersburg, you ought to take a look.

so you're saying we should have a "do over" on all our traditions?  ;D

Only on the flamingo. :D

B-b-M, do you even know what "derivative" means? And if you've never seen old people around Tampa Bay in Bermuda shorts and flip-flops with socks, I'd love to know where you spend your time. I think there's still a shuffleboard and bocce park in downtown St. Petersburg, you ought to take a look.

Jamie, do you even know what Florida looks like anymore? I see that you live in Texas maybe the desert sun has friedn your brain. Apparently you are the one who doesn't know what derivative means. Perhaps you were looking for derogatory. No, I don't play shuffleboard that much, it's actually quite a fun game. As a matter of fact, I'm actually quite active and vociferous at USF games, just ask anyone who sits in our near 115. So, perhaps you should look up the meaning of words prior to espousing your say it with me  DEROGATORY statements in my direction.

Main Entry: de·rog·a·to·ry

Pronunciation: \di-ˈrä-gə-ˌtȯr-ē\

Function: adjective

Date: circa 1503

1 : detracting from the character or standing of something —often used with to, towards, or of

2 : expressive of a low opinion : disparaging <derogatory remarks>

— de·rog·a·to·ri·ly  \-ˌrä-gə-ˈtȯr-ə-lē\ adverb

Main Entry: 1de·riv·a·tive

Pronunciation: \di-ˈri-və-tiv\

Function: noun

Date: 15th century

1 : a word formed by derivation

2 : something derived

3 : the limit of the ratio of the change in a function to the corresponding change in its independent variable as the latter change approaches zero

4 a : a chemical substance related structurally to another substance and theoretically derivable from it b : a substance that can be made from another substance

5 : a contract or security that derives its value from that of an underlying asset (as another security) or from the value of a rate (as of interest or currency exchange) or index of asset value (as a stock index)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

"stealing" complaint statements are so silly.

Michigan took Princeton's helmet ... who cares.

• Content Count:  640
  • Days Won:  0

Nobody.

BbM and Jamie, you got off the topic of War Flamingo real fast.

Here's why it doesn't make sense to me; we used it at the Auburn game to mock War Eagle. We replaced Eagle (strong, cunning, carnivorous, and ruthless) with Flamingo (pink, weak, goofy, and feeds on zooplankton) to taunt Auburn fans and make a mockery of their beloved mascot by replacing it with something lame. We used the flamingo because it was lame. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Why then do we feel the need to turn it around and make it a mascot of our own? In essence, doing that would be taking the very thing we mocked Auburn with and using it to represent ourselves.

I'm all for new and creative traditions, I just can't see myself defending the war flamingo against opposing fans when they tell me it is lame... because that's what we used it for first. lameness.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

flamingo is gay. period.

come up with better traditions than that. please.

good thing is, the only time i've ever heard much about the fagbird is on this board. it's not catching on at games and that's a good thing. i'd rather (shivers) see the chubby beef heifers than a bunch of pink blow up pool toys....

....unless they turned the student section into a giant pool...which would be awesome....and probably pretty disgusting. lol

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

Some peoples got no sense of humor whatsoever on this board ..... 8-)

Nobody.

BbM and Jamie, you got off the topic of War Flamingo real fast.

Here's why it doesn't make sense to me; we used it at the Auburn game to mock War Eagle. We replaced Eagle (strong, cunning, carnivorous, and ruthless) with Flamingo (pink, weak, goofy, and feeds on zooplankton) to taunt Auburn fans and make a mockery of their beloved mascot by replacing it with something lame. We used the flamingo because it was lame. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Why then do we feel the need to turn it around and make it a mascot of our own? In essence, doing that would be taking the very thing we mocked Auburn with and using it to represent ourselves.

I'm all for new and creative traditions, I just can't see myself defending the war flamingo against opposing fans when they tell me it is lame... because that's what we used it for first. lameness.

Willie, you are correct on the off track comment. Thank you for the explanation, I did not attend the Auburn game, and from my recolection they didn't show the flamingo too often during the broadcast. Now I understand people's resistance to using it.

Archived