• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip and an OCS

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Re: Pittsburgh.

Different story. Pitt was brought in to secure taxpayers funds and I believe they gave moneyto help construct. USF wasn't anything but a dream when RJS funding was approved.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

My biggest problem with RJS is that all the parking and concession money we provide each game is handed to  the Glazers. I know it would be a long time before that money would add up to anything that would pay for an OCS but I think it is the difference between renting a house and buying a house. I wish when I spend money at USF events, the school gets the benefit of it. It is a community stadium paid for by the taxpayers. At this point, I think many fans would tell the Glazers to just go ahead and take their team and get out of town.

If I am not tailgating, recently I have started to park at the neighbors houses east of Himes Avenue. If USF can't get my parking money at least some locals can benefit from it.

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Someone on this board (USFJim?) has done a good job previously of comparing the relatively low cost of our rental versus the potential game from concessions/parking.  Until USF is regularly selling out RayJay, its a wash at worst for the Bulls financially.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,660
  • Days Won:  29

Joe,

USF's donor pool is very low, but growing each season. Who nows what things will be like tens years PLUS down the road.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,653
  • Days Won:  424

If I am not tailgating, recently I have started to park at the neighbors houses east of Himes Avenue. If USF can't get my parking money at least some locals can benefit from it.

If you have season tickets, USF does get the money from a set amount of season parking passes ...

Re: Pittsburgh.

Different story. Pitt was brought in to secure taxpayers funds and I believe they gave moneyto help construct. USF wasn't anything but a dream when RJS funding was approved.

Actually, you're wrong on all fronts. 

The University of Pittsburgh did not contribute any money nor was it used to secure taxpayer funds.  In fact, the university was not a part of the plan to build the stadium (http://www.post-gazette.com/planb/).

Raymond James was built with the Community Investment Tax dollars, which were passed by the voters in 1996.  USF already had a program AND had a lease to play at Tampa Stadium in 1997.

The Heinz Field and Raymond James Stadium situations are very identical.

My biggest problem with RJS is that all the parking and concession money we provide each game is handed to  the Glazers. I know it would be a long time before that money would add up to anything that would pay for an OCS but I think it is the difference between renting a house and buying a house. I wish when I spend money at USF events, the school gets the benefit of it. It is a community stadium paid for by the taxpayers. At this point, I think many fans would tell the Glazers to just go ahead and take their team and get out of town.

Just the debt payments on an OCS (not counting operating expenses) are more in ONE MONTH than USF pays for an entire season at Ray Jay.

Yes, an OCS would provide revenue opportunities not available at Ray Jay (parking, concessions, fixed advertising, luxury suites, and more)... but it also means significantly more expenses (the "mortgage", operating staff, and maintenance).

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

While inwas wring about Pitt giving money they were paraded around in the whole stadium push. I know because my grandfather was a Pitt alum and I was up there when the Plan B fiasco was slapping the city.

USF hadn't even played a game at the time RJS was approved. No one knew if they were ever going to be a viable tenant and thus they were treated like the Unuversity of Tampa was.

Identical situations? Pitt gets concessions http://www.google.com/m/url?cd=4&client=safari&ct=res&ei=gyCTS_ioD8mktwfltMSBAw&hl=en&oe=UTF-8&oi=blended&q=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fnid%3D1129%26dat%3D20010824%26id%3DQYkNAAAAIBAJ%26sjid%3DdXADAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D6363%2C1571983&resnum=4&sa=X&usg=AFQjCNGPrBi_dmx0bdW1ueg-KQSXKsmQSA

we get the shaft at RJS

Both Pitt and USF had the same level of participation in the construction of the stadium: None.

Both schools derive significant benefit from "renting" an NFL stadium.

The Bucs and Steelers both get every penny from luxury boxes, for example. The Bucs and the Steelers both get every penny from fixed advertising, including the $$ from Heinz and Raymond James for naming rights; USF and Pitt can put up banners or use the "digitial" options. The Bucs and Steelers get revenue from other events at the stadiums, like concerts.

The Panthers get the shaft at Heinz, too.  But they do get their own locker room!

Maybe we can change the name of our alma mater to Tampa Bay University and change our colors to red and gold -- then a red "Tampa Bay" in the endzone would be good for both teams.  (That is what Pitt has -- both the pro team and college team have the same name and similar colors... making it look more co-branded when it really isn't).

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks Jim.  This has to get a bit old for you.

Archived