• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Capogna's Pre Season Tailgate??

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

Mutt, I say set a date for a meeting with vendors/volunteers.  If you get a good showing, then set a date with Coach Holtz.  If your attendance for the meeting is poor, then make your decision. I would make the meeting at Capogna's so everyone know where it is and what the layout will be.  Make it far enough in advance at a time so most people can make it.  That way, if you don't get a good showing, you can gauge the commitment.  My two cents.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

A little story for you all…

Years ago when I met “Coach†Art Jones, I knew the man was crazy. The man ate, slept and breathed USF 24/7. I have to say, it looked like fun, so I rode his coat-tails and eventually started to try and out-do his insanity. Constantly we would be scheming on how to promote the university and reach new fans. We joined the Alumni Association & the Bull Backers, single-handedly tackled homecoming, spend gobs of our own money and eventually decided to have a yearly Preseason Tailgate party by friends, for friends all for the love of USF and nothing else.

Although we had our connections, it took years to build a relationship with Leavitt and prove to him & the staff that we weren't going anywhere. Finally, 3 years ago he showed up to the gig and saw how strong we all could be. He loved the fan based, grass-roots aspect of the event and told us it was his favorite of the season.  Now that CJL is no longer, I really thought the Tailgate was no more.

Last year, Coach dropped out of the AA, everybody on the board was fighting like children and the tailgate ceased being fun and turned into work. Not just work, but ***** work, where people that I thought had the same vision as I did ended up screaming at my wife over a 5 dollar t-shirt.  We started charging people to sell wares when before we invited everybody, we charged nobody and every person who showed had fun. 

I just don’t know anymore. If the Tailgate is to be, it might go on without me.  Every year it has changed a little bit and last year I feel it was for the worse. I have met with Coach Holtz briefly and he seems like a great guy. I will soon have a longer sit-down with him to discuss the situation and perhaps I might pass the torch so someone else could run the show, again, I don’t know. I would like to get all of your thoughts to see what direction the event might go. even if you’ve never attended, what would you do?

-Mutt

Thank you Mutt, I hope it continues because it was a great event.  Than you for all your hard work.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

I think a meeting with Volunteers and Vendors is a great idea. As said, that way you/we can gauge actual interest (willing to help interest). Let me know.

• Content Count:  869
  • Days Won:  0

I have never been but,  I have always read the posts and seen the photos and would say a big "Thank You" to Mutt and all the organizers for their hard work.   I worked hard to do the USFAA Orlando Chapter for over six years, it was always really hard work.  I finally had to give it up before the arrival of our son a few months ago. 

Thank You to all the folks that run these events ! ! !  For those of us that can not make the trip, it is good to know Bulls fans are putting on these events.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

Mutt,

We've been there the last 2 years.  Long drive from Pasco County, but it was worth the trip to us.  A nice event and would love to see you continue, but understand the effort and stress that goes into something like that.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Mutt:

Last year was our my wife and I's first trip out to this shin dig and we really enjoyed ourselves... we felt that y'all did a great job putting the preseason tailgate together and if the Hernando County Alumni Group can do anything to help out let us know  ;)

• Content Count:  4,077
  • Days Won:  14

Mutt:

Just wanted to chime in and say thank you for all your hard work in the past.  We have been to the event for the last 3 years.  Last year, we even delayed our vacation by a day so we could attend.  My whole family has always enjoyed it.  Sorry to hear that it became such a hassle instead of fun.  I hope this tradition can continue.  Let me know if I can help.

Thanks again.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Mutt, you know how I feel about it.  I think you've done a great job with it, as I've been for the last 3 years all the way from North Tampa.  I know you put alot of time, money, and energy into this thing.  Hopefully it will be back this year for the new coach.  It was always the highlite of the USF football calender for me.  Anyways, big thanks to you and your crew! 

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Thank all of you for your kind words and you're right on the money (JoeB) about all of the volunteers that help make the event come to fruition. They are why the Tailgate WILL go on!!!  I will meet with Coach Holtz soon and we already have a tentative date selected which might work out even better for many of you. I will keep all of you informed on the BP and until then, GO BULLS !!!

Hope to see you all there. –Mutt

P.S. JoeB, Where were you Sat night? Thought out of anyone, I’d see you @ the USF v. Illinoise game…

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Thank all of you for your kind words and you're right on the money (JoeB) about all of the volunteers that help make the event come to fruition. They are why the Tailgate WILL go on!!!  I will meet with Coach Holtz soon and we already have a tentative date selected which might work out even better for many of you. I will keep all of you informed on the BP and until then, GO BULLS !!!

Hope to see you all there. –Mutt

P.S. JoeB, Where were you Sat night? Thought out of anyone, I’d see you @ the USF v. Illinoise game…

That's great news. Thank you.

Archived