• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz in studio with Duemig Wednesday at 5pm

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

Just listened to the interview.  I'm not a fan of the on-air personality of Duemig (he's a pretty nice guy in person).  I have an ongoing football season boycott of listening to him due to his stance on USF football, as well as not really being interested in the breakdown of football games from the perspective of a gambler.  However this can only be seen as a positive for USF football.  It sounded like Duemig genuinely likes CSH and, if he starts regularly talking to him on air, it will introduce a lot of people, who may not have otherwise cared, to our team.  We will see how long that lasts, and we will see if Duemig's issue w/ USF truly revolved around his dislike for Leavitt.  That being said, the school, and the fans, should always remember that 1010 has been on USF's side through thick and thin, unlike 620.

• Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

The problem was Duemig hated Leavitt and didn't care about USF.  Leavitt's gone but he still does not care about USF.  Oh, He'll downgrade us when we're doing well, and he'll say told ya so when we're doing poorly, but don't expect to hear an abundance of USF talk on his show. 

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

What I like about Holtz is the detail. When he was about to leave he thanked each caller by name. I think there were 5 of them? Must have been writing it down. Pretty cool.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Two thoughts on this topic.

1- as we are all finding out, it doesn't appear that Leavitt was good with the media relations part of the job.  He wouldn't talk to most, was often sharp to criticize or call them out, adn created some enemies.  That usually results in a lack of coverage of what is good about USF, and a quickness to jump on the bandwagon when things go bad.  As much as I appreciate what Leavitt did for us, I think that hurt the program from a PR standpoint.

2 - Holtz appears to embrace the media.  I think he will mend the broken fences, and will be rah-rah in a good way, maybe like Seth was, but also can back it up on the field (we'll know soon enough).  I think that a guy who is well liked by the media, cordial, engaging, and willing to be on any show at any time (even with detracters from USF) will help to "win" over those people as fans, or at least make them neutral.  The Media is baised, always will be.  But if you can bias them in your direction, it will help the program grow and reach new fans and national recognition. 

So to me, whether or not you like Duemig, or his program, or you think he hates us, it can only do good if Skip goes on there and embraces the guys with the megaphones.  Our program has not really achieved anything yet, and we need help getting to the next level.  The media is part of that - and our coaches should embrace that.  BTW< I think Holtz does a much better job on tv/radio than Leavitt ever did. 

• Content Count:  742

1- as we are all finding out, it doesn't appear that Leavitt was good with the media relations part of the job.  He wouldn't talk to most, was often sharp to criticize or call them out, adn created some enemies.  That usually results in a lack of coverage of what is good about USF, and a quickness to jump on the bandwagon when things go bad.  As much as I appreciate what Leavitt did for us, I think that hurt the program from a PR standpoint.

2 - Holtz appears to embrace the media.  I think he will mend the broken fences, and will be rah-rah in a good way, maybe like Seth was, but also can back it up on the field (we'll know soon enough).  I think that a guy who is well liked by the media, cordial, engaging, and willing to be on any show at any time (even with detracters from USF) will help to "win" over those people as fans, or at least make them neutral.  The Media is baised, always will be.  But if you can bias them in your direction, it will help the program grow and reach new fans and national recognition. 

So to me, whether or not you like Duemig, or his program, or you think he hates us, it can only do good if Skip goes on there and embraces the guys with the megaphones.  Our program has not really achieved anything yet, and we need help getting to the next level.  The media is part of that - and our coaches should embrace that.   BTW< I think Holtz does a much better job on tv/radio than Leavitt ever did. 

Great post. Lucid and well thought out.

• Content Count:  1,204

So to me, whether or not you like Duemig, or his program, or you think he hates us, it can only do good if Skip goes on there and embraces the guys with the megaphones.  Our program has not really achieved anything yet, and we need help getting to the next level.  The media is part of that - and our coaches should embrace that.   BTW< I think Holtz does a much better job on tv/radio than Leavitt ever did. 

I'm not a Duemig fan but I do listen every now and again because he's on and does talk about things that interest me.  I like JP on 1010 as well.  Can't stand Benarzyk on 1040.

Today Duemig spent a whole segment seemingly just praising Holtz with Chris Landry on air.  I don't think Duemig was lying when he said that he has followed Holtz.  And for all the garbage that Duemig has spewed in the past over USF football, getting him to talk positive is a plus for the program.  We already know JP loves the guy.

But you nailed it on Holtz doing a great job on the TV and radio stuff.  I tuned in several times to listen to the Jim Leavitt Show on 970 and often found Leavitt hard to listen to.  There wasn't a lot of meat when he was talking.  With Holtz you get so much more.  He's polished without sounding like it's all fabricated.  He knows his stuff and he's upfront and honest. 

Today Duemig and Landry were talking about how hard he's had to work BECAUSE of his dad, because people always thought that he was only riding on his dad's coattails.  Both raved about him and about USF's potential to be a big time program.

And I heard Coach Holtz on with The Babe today during lunch and he again was fantastic.  I loved when she asked him about his offensive preference and his response was: "I like to win".  He said he'll be a primarily running team if that's what the roster dictates or passing if that's the personnel he has.  He feels coaches need to adapt to work best with what they have.  I LOVE that attitude and ability to do so.

Both Duemig and the Babe talked about being up at ESPN and following what he did up there at Connecticut, both saying that he set the stage for Randy Edsall and the success that he has found with the Huskies.  UConn would not have gotten to I-A without Skip Holtz and they likely never would have gotten a guy like Edsall to shepherd them to the big time.

From Holtz's knowledge of the game, to his interaction with the media, to his pimping of a lot of other USF programs - I love it all.  This guy is an ambassador for USF Athletics and the school in general.  I can't wait to see him on the sidelines.  As much as I was for giving Leavitt his chance, I think we have ended up in a much better situation and ultimately the scandal with Leavitt paved the way for it.  No way we could have just fired Leavitt and owed him so much money and still gotten Holtz.  USF might still have to pay out, but the door was opened and the football program got better because of it.

Looking forward to Coach Holtz's radio program during the season and the press conferences.  I don't want to set the bar too high for him immediately.  I think we can win the Big East but I don't expect us too.  I think we can beat UF, but I don't expect us too.  But I think the head coach will be less of a hindrance and Holtz teams tend to overachieve.  Overachieving with our talent would be a grand thing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

I'm not a Duemig fan but I do listen every now and again because he's on and does talk about things that interest me.  I like JP on 1010 as well.  Can't stand Benarzyk on 1040.

Today Duemig spent a whole segment seemingly just praising Holtz with Chris Landry on air.  I don't think Duemig was lying when he said that he has followed Holtz.  And for all the garbage that Duemig has spewed in the past over USF football, getting him to talk positive is a plus for the program.  We already know JP loves the guy.

But you nailed it on Holtz doing a great job on the TV and radio stuff.  I tuned in several times to listen to the Jim Leavitt Show on 970 and often found Leavitt hard to listen to.  There wasn't a lot of meat when he was talking.  With Holtz you get so much more.  He's polished without sounding like it's all fabricated.  He knows his stuff and he's upfront and honest. 

Today Duemig and Landry were talking about how hard he's had to work BECAUSE of his dad, because people always thought that he was only riding on his dad's coattails.  Both raved about him and about USF's potential to be a big time program.

And I heard Coach Holtz on with The Babe today during lunch and he again was fantastic.  I loved when she asked him about his offensive preference and his response was: "I like to win".  He said he'll be a primarily running team if that's what the roster dictates or passing if that's the personnel he has.  He feels coaches need to adapt to work best with what they have.  I LOVE that attitude and ability to do so.

Both Duemig and the Babe talked about being up at ESPN and following what he did up there at Connecticut, both saying that he set the stage for Randy Edsall and the success that he has found with the Huskies.  UConn would not have gotten to I-A without Skip Holtz and they likely never would have gotten a guy like Edsall to shepherd them to the big time.

From Holtz's knowledge of the game, to his interaction with the media, to his pimping of a lot of other USF programs - I love it all.  This guy is an ambassador for USF Athletics and the school in general.  I can't wait to see him on the sidelines.  As much as I was for giving Leavitt his chance, I think we have ended up in a much better situation and ultimately the scandal with Leavitt paved the way for it.  No way we could have just fired Leavitt and owed him so much money and still gotten Holtz.  USF might still have to pay out, but the door was opened and the football program got better because of it.

Looking forward to Coach Holtz's radio program during the season and the press conferences.  I don't want to set the bar too high for him immediately.  I think we can win the Big East but I don't expect us too.  I think we can beat UF, but I don't expect us too.  But I think the head coach will be less of a hindrance and Holtz teams tend to overachieve.  Overachieving with our talent would be a grand thing.

****, along with IB's, these are two great posts ....

Archived