• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

PITT TO BIGTEN???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  275
  • Days Won:  2

If Pitt leaves, we should take to opportunity to go to 9 football-only members in the Big East. I vote for TCU and Houston.

Sorry, I meant 9 football-playing members. It's still early.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

I wonder if his "source" is the Ohio State blog?!?

Here is another link saying the same thing.

http://benmaller.com/archives/2010/02/01/source-pitt-headed-to-big-10/

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Another article about the rumor. It does seem strange that if it were true, that they would run it by student athletes.

http://www.blackshoediaries.com/2010/2/1/1286632/pitt-and-why-calling-something

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

no major site has picked this up yet, which makes me think this is just a rumor with no traction.

• Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Even if it is true, we could end up in better shape afterwards if the BE makes the right moves. 

Asking in TCU stretches the "East" name a bit, but it also strengthens the reputation.  So if Pitt leaves I would ask TCU to come in as a full member and then I'd probably go and ask Temple to come back in as a football only club to give us nine football members. 

TCU has a good sized stadium and has gone over 50,000 with standing room for big games.

I'd prefer Rutgers to go to the Big Ten over Pitt because losing Rutgers and adding in TCU would be a net gain for the conference.

But no major site has picked this up.  I think an Ohio State fan started this.

For Pitt, I'd think they'd go if the Big Ten came knocking.  Annual games with Penn State and Ohio State would drum up interest and they'd likely keep WVU on the schedule as an out of conference game unless the Mountaineers say they won't continue it if Pitt leaves.  That could be the one thing that would keep Pitt in - the rivalry with West Virginia.  That goes back 100 years, so breaking tradition might not be viewed well.

I'd rather it be Rutgers if anyone leaves but I guarantee you that an Ohio State fan wouldn't want to start that rumor because Rutgers isn't nearly as attractive. 

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

Temple was expelled by the Big East, so inviting them back would be a clear sign of desperation.

As for BC, I too have heard their regrets about moving to the ACC.  It would be a massive coup to get them back (with some sort of slap on the wrist).  But then who does the ACC replace them with?  USF?  ECU?  I hope we wouldn't take the bait.

The B-Ball schools own the Big East charter and would want to preserve the equal voting bloc.  Anything other than "one team to replace one team" would lead to a painful split and jeopardize the BCS status of whatever "new" conference emerges.

• Content Count:  1,251

i think University of Houston would be a great choice actually.....

• Content Count:  239

Honestly, I feel like if Pitt left, the whole conference would need a MAJOR overhaul, including name and location. Basketball schools should form their own conference and football needs to aggresively expand beyond the Eastern seaboard. The geography and bball schools are what are hindering expansion. USF... yes, USF currently has a better record in the league than 5 of the teams that are supposed to be killing it in the sport.

7 teams would need to be 12 teams. Solid adds would be the closest BCS buster, TCU. Houston would be great for the market. Memphis for basketball purposes but could be competitive in football (mostly to replace losing Nova

North:

Cincy

LVille

Cuse

RU

WVU

Uconn

South

USF

TCU

Houston

Southern Miss

Memphis

UCF/Tulane/ECU/Troy (or Marshall or a MAC team like Temple and send LVille to the South)

Each of those teams should become more than competitive in football with a sure BCS opportunity. Would open up the conference championship option and not take too big of a chunk out of BBall with the addition of Memphis. Those that seem lackluster (Tulane) would be great markets. Most of those teams have shown either sustained success on the mid-major circuit or have great potential ala USF when the league last expanded.

Need to stop restricting to the East, but feel East Texas could be the furthest logistically...

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

I think we should add UCF. An easy win, short travel distance and they would pack either stadium, it would be a huge money maker for both teams.

Here's a source on the rumor who says the players are being notified.

• Content Count:  509

I think we should add UCF. An easy win, short travel distance and they would pack either stadium, it would be a huge money maker for both teams.

Here's a source on the rumor who says the players are being notified.

In my unbiased opinion (haha), UCF doesn't even merritt consideration at this point. No but seriously I can think of at least ten non BCS programs that should be considered before UCF.  Houston, TCU, ECU, Navy,Temple,Southern Miss, Memphis,Troy, Central Michigan, and Tulane all are more deserving. Also Boston College is unhappy in the ACC so the Big East should aggressively go after them. 

Archived