• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Land O'Lakes QB Stevie Weatherford gets first offer: USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Land O'Lakes QB Stevie Weatherford gets first offer: USF

Posted on Monday, Jan. 25, 2010 at 4:08 p.m.

There's a new feel on the USF campus. That's the way Land O'Lakes junior quarterback Stevie Weatherford and his coach, Matt Kitchie, felt after a visit last week to meet new Bulls coach Skip Holtz.

The big news: USF gave Weatherford his first scholarship offer.

Weatherford has had plenty of interest from some of the country's top schools, but USF is the first to follow through with a scholarship.

"It feels good to get it started," Weatherford said Monday. "People tell me that I'll get offers but getting this one makes it real."

Kitchie had nothing but praise for Holtz & Co.

One image that struck home was Holtz's office. Kitchie said Holtz's office was filled with boxes and the only item that had been unpacked was a picture of Holtz's kids with a frame that said, "World's Greatest Dad."

"He is the man for the job and the man to take it to the next place," Kitchie said. "I was so unbelievably impressed by him and his staff. They were genuine guys. I've never been around a head coach I felt so comfortable with."

Weatherford said he's looking for the best quarterback situation before picking a school. Weatherford threw for 2,052 yards, 27 touchdowns with just five interceptions as a junior.

igould@tampabay.com

http://hometeam.tampabay.com/recruiting/2010/jan/25/football-land-olakes-qb-stevie-weatherford-gets-fi/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

hopefully one for USF

• Content Count:  178

I believe that he is the last one.  He was just starting Middle School when I was a senior in High School.  He is in the same grade as my cousin and they have dated in the past.  This kid has all the ability to be the best QB in the family.  I believe that Drew got messed up by going to FSU.  The offensive system there was a mess when he started and did not get any better before he finished.  Also, he was not a fit for that Jimbo wanted to do, which has been limited by their very poor Oline play.  Stevie has gotten very good coaching from his family and should be ready to start very early.  I would love to see him come to USF. 

• Content Count:  1,633

good god, how many weatherfords are there?

hhahahahaha...I was thinking the exact same thing

• Content Count:  1,251

so is he a junior right now and will be a senior in high school next year?

• Content Count:  178

^^^ That is correct.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

dwowarp8, thank you for the laugh.

• Content Count:  622

He might end up being a good one but his brothers put up good numbers at Land O' Lakes too. We will see how good he is during the summer at all of the camps and combines.

I wonder if we offer LO'L DE Gary Myrick also??? I coached around him at NCT before he transferred to LO'L this past summer. We really missed his presence as he really owned whichever side of the field he was on but apparently he picked up some attitude problems over there and got ejected in one game even. Myrick has to be like 6-4 240 by now and strong as an ox. He had our top powerclean as a Sophomore, lol, like over 300 lbs.. He is just one of those freak kids. I could see us offering him in the future as well.

• Content Count:  239

"He is the man for the job and the man to take it to the next place," Kitchie said. "I was so unbelievably impressed by him and his staff. They were genuine guys. I've never been around a head coach I felt so comfortable with."

UM, I love this. I hope all coaches feel this way. Would love to see them buy into it also so they encourage their kids to stick around

Archived