• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

St. Pete Bowl Attendance

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,649
  • Days Won:  29

We're building slowly but surely. Just a few seasons ago we were barely hitting 40,000 in attendance and now we're averaging over 50,000 for the season.

Yes we are.

Future is very bright  8-)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

We're building slowly but surely. Just a few seasons ago we were barely hitting 40,000 in attendance and now we're averaging over 50,000 for the season.

Yes we are.

Future is very bright  8-)

The attendance at FSU is a better indicator of how we're progressing than a podunk first year bowl against a podunk team played in our backyard ... The guys on UCF fans' nuts can squawk all day but the fact that they were playing a BCS team, from a league they're destined to join ( :D ), a team that has owned us for four years played a huge part in their turnout .... Again, if you think they have that turnout for Kent State, you're freaking delusional.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

lol. im not on UCFs nuts. IM just acknowledging the fact they had an amazing turnout. It was very very good. Who cares who they played. come time for expansion and future bowl picks, fan travel to bowl games is key. its very simple.

UCF will be in a BCS conference someday soon. to deny that is unrealistic. In fact I kinda hope they do because I like playing them. Its always a fun game.

I just give credit where credit is due.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I agree with Trip.

World a-splodes

fin

• Content Count:  1,037

any one of us who makes an excuse why UCF brought like almost 20k and we brought way way way way less is foolish.

A bowl game is not pointless and meaningless. Sometimes how well your fans travel can be the difference between an invite to a awesome bowl and not an invite.

UCF impressed me w/ that support and so did Rutgers.

8_va why make excuses? it looked bad that we could cause a sellout to a game that close with a small venue.

Not sure where you get these numbers from but there is no telling how many UCiF actually brought because Rutgers had a very large turnout due to their large number of transplants in the area. And, yes, USF brought 20K to the stadium for that game. I'm sure somebody can find a link.

Playing Memphis was the equivalent of playing Wofford or Charleston Southern-- just a horrible opponent that we were going to destroy based on talent alone. Now change your screen name to UCiFkanigits86 you are clearly a poser.

• Content Count:  509

Could we have done better and sold out the bowl game against Memphis; Yes. Is the fact that we had less USF fans attending this Bowl game compared to UCF fans relevant; NO, for reasons mentioned in earlier posts! I think we as USF fans should be more secure with our program and not always seek to compare ourselves with UCF.

Oh, and by the way; we did average 15,000 more people a game for our home games compared to UCF.   

• Content Count:  971

Here are the actual attendance figures and media reported estimates for those interested in the facts . . .

2008 St. Pete Bowl attendance was 25,205 minus an estimated 1,000 Memphis fans equals an estimated 24,205 USF fans.

2009 St. Pete Bowl attendance was 29,763 minus an estimated 8,000 Rutgers  fans equals an estimated 21,763 UCF fans.

Thus, it appears USF fans bought about 11% more tickets than UCF fans.  GB!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,629
  • Days Won:  424

lol. im not on UCFs nuts. IM just acknowledging the fact they had an amazing turnout. It was very very good. Who cares who they played. come time for expansion and future bowl picks, fan travel to bowl games is key. its very simple.

UCF will be in a BCS conference someday soon. to deny that is unrealistic. In fact I kinda hope they do because I like playing them. Its always a fun game.

I just give credit where credit is due.

No problem with giving them credit where it's due, they did have a great turnout (so did Rutgers) but don't do it at our expense. Comparing the two bowl turnouts was apples and oranges. How do you think our turnout would have been last year if we had played South Carolina?

Guest Sunburned

A bowl game is not pointless and meaningless. Sometimes how well your fans travel can be the difference between an invite to a awesome bowl and not an invite.

Attendance has little to nothing to do with it, winning games in the Big East is what gets you an invite to an "awesome bowl game".

Win 2 or 3 games and you go to a bottom feeder bowl, no matter how many well you travel.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Content Count:  2,276

Here are the actual attendance figures and media reported estimates for those interested in the facts . . .

2008 St. Pete Bowl attendance was 25,205 minus an estimated 1,000 Memphis fans equals an estimated 24,205 USF fans.

2009 St. Pete Bowl attendance was 29,763 minus an estimated 8,000 Rutgers  fans equals an estimated 21,763 UCF fans.

Thus, it appears USF fans bought about 11% more tickets than UCF fans.  GB!

Except that only 21,863 showed up (no clue on how many actually paid for their tix).

Believe USF's attendance was hurt by very weak student attendance, plus, overall tix sales as each tix sold through USF received a free ticket to the USF/Syracuse Hoop Game...but that still left USF short on official tix sales.

From Tampa Tribune:

WHERE’S THE SCHOOL SPIRIT? Of the six Big East schools that went to bowl games in 2008, USF sold the third-most tickets (8,500). The actual attendance at Tropicana Field for the St. Petersburg Bowl was 21,863.

However, despite one of the nation’s largest enrollments, only 533 – or 1.1 percent – of the school’s student body attended the St. Pete Bowl, located about 40 minutes from campus.

What’s more surprising about the low student turnout (only 533 tickets sold) was USF offered discounted $10 tickets and of USF’s fall enrollment of 46,330, nearly two-thirds of USF’s students (30,300) are from nearby Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, Polk, Manatee and Sarasota counties.

Here are the number of tickets sold by each Big East school for its 2008 bowl games according to each university. Pittsburgh, which played in the Sun Bowl, did not release its ticket numbers.

School (Bowl tickets sold by school) Bowl

West Virginia (18,800) Meineke Car Care

Cincinnati (13,187) Orange

USF (8,500) St. Pete

Rutgers (5,012) Papajohns.com

UConn (3,500) International

Archived