• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UT vs. USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

USF hired a coach with a bit better background.  I think Holtz is a near perfect fit for USF.  But we won't know if he's better than Dooley for a few years.  Dooley has a very strong resume as an assistant coach/coordinator at some very large programs.  Don't undersell him because he chose to get some head coaching experience at a small, struggling school.  Chizik did pretty well for himself at Auburn this year after hearing many of the same complaints when he was hired last year.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  579
  • Days Won:  0

USF hired a coach with a bit better background.  I think Holtz is a near perfect fit for USF.  But we won't know if he's better than Dooley for a few years.  Dooley has a very strong resume as an assistant coach/coordinator at some very large programs.  Don't undersell him because he chose to get some head coaching experience at a small, struggling school.  Chizik did pretty well for himself at Auburn this year after hearing many of the same complaints when he was hired last year.

I agree.  This is fun to banter about, but there is no way of knowing.  The only thing that struck me about Dooley is, even though he has been at big programs, his only responsibility was as a recruiter and positions coach.  Once again who knows?  Jim Leavitt wasn't a world beater name the first time I heard it.

• Content Count:  16,380
  • Days Won:  43

Dont forget that Dooley was also the AD at LA TECH which could have so effect on coaching. Tenn pretty much has that cloud over the program right now that many coaches didnt want to touch. Diito for USC. At least Tenn shot for the starts and tried to get Gruden before they were shot down. I think Tenn is going to be in for some long years. I am not sure now many scholarships that they will lose from the NCAA or if they will be banned from post season, but we will soon find out.

Guest nybullsfan

I think Tenn is going to be in for some long years. I am not sure now many scholarships that they will lose from the NCAA or if they will be banned from post season, but we will soon find out.

Here's an interesting thought. If TN gets penalized, shouldn't the penalties also fall on the coach personally if it happened under his watch?

This way, if Kiffin screwed the pooch for TN and ran to USC to escape, USC would have suffer along with TN (besides any suffering they'll have to do for Pete's tenure)

IMO, this would help to eliminate violations, if the coaches knew they couldn't escape by changing schools.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,375
  • Days Won:  10

...Jim Leavitt wasn't a world beater name the first time I heard it.

And now what do you think about Leavitt?

• Content Count:  5,241

I think Tenn is going to be in for some long years. I am not sure now many scholarships that they will lose from the NCAA or if they will be banned from post season, but we will soon find out.

Here's an interesting thought. If TN gets penalized, shouldn't the penalties also fall on the coach personally if it happened under his watch?

This way, if Kiffin screwed the pooch for TN and ran to USC to escape, USC would have suffer along with TN (besides any suffering they'll have to do for Pete's tenure)

IMO, this would help to eliminate violations, if the coaches knew they couldn't escape by changing schools.

USC is more likely to face penalties from the ncaa in football right now than Tennessee. I think we will have to wait and see how the teams perform next season until we decide who got the best coach.

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Someone made a fair point.  It would appear to be Head Coach suicide at this point.  You've just lost a lot of recruits.  You are coming off a mediocre season.  The last coach just ditched the team in the middle of the night.  You have very little time to win these recruits back; if you can at all.  You are also losing your biggest playmaker (Eric Berry).  Oh not to mention you are in a conference with the last 4 National Champions.  The percentage chance of being able to turn it around before the faithful decide to axe you is slim.  I have to imagine some of these things went through the coaches heads.  Duke and Air Force coaches should not be publicly turning you down.

So yes I think we got a better head coach then they did.  To be fair, we would have been disappointed in him as a coach.  Without knowing a whole lot about him he appears to be mediocre in conference (4-4, 5-3, 3-5).  His only big win is against Mississippi State the year they went 4-8.  No top 25 wins, just some close game moral victories.

Actually ESPN was reporting that only 3-4 were not going to Tennessee. But its a mess.

all this talk about UT and USF get me wondering. what if we formed a hybrid community featuring the schools amking their own island out of our current resources. we have everything all we need, all we need is a little time. what do you think? volunteer orange mixed with holtz green and we can have a fantastic athletics and academic community. the girls will be great i know from experience. we're all in right?

...Jim Leavitt wasn't a world beater name the first time I heard it.

And now what do you think about Leavitt?

Definitely a more respectable name in a coaching sense then Derek Dooley.  Once again this is from a fan's perspective but when you get a new coach you want to feel comfortable with the decision.  How can Tennessee feel comfortable knowing their ship has been righted?  Obviously, the emotions you invest between now and the start of the season are irrelevant.  But I have a feeling we will be sleeping easier until it really matters.   

Someone made a fair point.  It would appear to be Head Coach suicide at this point.  You've just lost a lot of recruits.  You are coming off a mediocre season.  The last coach just ditched the team in the middle of the night.  You have very little time to win these recruits back; if you can at all.  You are also losing your biggest playmaker (Eric Berry).  Oh not to mention you are in a conference with the last 4 National Champions.  The percentage chance of being able to turn it around before the faithful decide to axe you is slim.  I have to imagine some of these things went through the coaches heads.  Duke and Air Force coaches should not be publicly turning you down.

So yes I think we got a better head coach then they did.  To be fair, we would have been disappointed in him as a coach.  Without knowing a whole lot about him he appears to be mediocre in conference (4-4, 5-3, 3-5).  His only big win is against Mississippi State the year they went 4-8.  No top 25 wins, just some close game moral victories.

Actually ESPN was reporting that only 3-4 were not going to Tennessee. But its a mess.

I thought it was 4 4 star recruits.  Either way that feels like a crushing blow no matter what.  Plus the new recruits need to reevaluate the new coach.

Archived