• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UT vs. USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

Didn't see anything about this anywhere else, but if there is sorry!

I wasn't ecstatic about Holtz to begin with, but after a little research, and his first two days, I really think this guy is great. 

My question would be who agrees that we just snagged a much better HC hire than Tennessee?  I'll admit I don't know much about Dolley, but from what I've seen we got a sweet deal.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  16,379
  • Days Won:  43

You have to think that Tenn is facing serious penalties from the NCAA when the Duke and Air Force coach turn the Tenn job down. I never thought I would see the day when a Duke coach turns down a major program like Tenn down for football. Talk about crazy times for Tenn.  Those Hoo stesses are going to cost them dearly.

• Content Count:  565
  • Days Won:  0

I honestly couldn't believe that Tennessee couldn't get a better hire. That guy is not unproven, he is proven as a mediocre coach at a sub-mediocre program. You can not convince me that Mangino or even Fulmer would not have been a better candidate. This is as risky as they come.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i thought about this myself...

we did get a better candidate imo.

• Content Count:  529
  • Days Won:  1

I think we can thank the weather.  Lou had to 'retire' somewhere warm since he is sooo tiny. 

If Lou lived in TN we might be listening to Chico talk up a crowd at his intro press conference (well, maybe not a crowd).

• Content Count:  16,379
  • Days Won:  43

Keep in mind that USF got a better candidate than USC too. USC was turned down by about four difference coaches before they took Kiffin. I wonder what smazza has to say about that. We tried to warn smazza that USC was cheating, but he was not listening. Now, noone wants the USC or Tenn job because of upcoming NCAA violations. At least Leavitt didnt get USF into major trouble with NCAA violations like Kiffin, Carol, and Calipari did at their former schools.

• Content Count:  14,405
  • Days Won:  13

Its weird and I don't think anyone, including the media,  is sure what the reason no one wanted that job. The fans are among the best in the nation. Its 10 years out from an National Championship. They pour money into. It was in the top of teh SEC, but ESPN put ou a poll whether fans still think its a top program. Not wanting to be Alabama and Florida's whipping boy might be part of it or the mess Kiffin left it in could be another. I think Rick Stockstill would have been better then Dooley if that is the level they had to go to get a coach.

Guest nobullhere

i agree that Stockstill would have been a better choice for Tennessee. But I predict that Stockstill goes to ECU; does well; and then moves up to a bigger conference after three years. Who knows maybe USF after Holtz moves on to bigger things after having success here.

Guest nybullsfan

At least Leavitt didnt get USF into major trouble with NCAA violations like Kiffin, Carol, and Calipari did at their former schools.

that we know about YET

• Content Count:  579
  • Days Won:  0

Someone made a fair point. It would appear to be Head Coach suicide at this point. You've just lost a lot of recruits. You are coming off a mediocre season. The last coach just ditched the team in the middle of the night. You have very little time to win these recruits back; if you can at all. You are also losing your biggest playmaker (Eric Berry). Oh not to mention you are in a conference with the last 4 National Champions. The percentage chance of being able to turn it around before the faithful decide to axe you is slim. I have to imagine some of these things went through the coaches heads. Duke and Air Force coaches should not be publicly turning you down.

So yes I think we got a better head coach then they did. To be fair, we would have been disappointed in him as a coach. Without knowing a whole lot about him he appears to be mediocre in conference (4-4, 5-3, 3-5). His only big win is against Mississippi State the year they went 4-8. No top 25 wins, just some close game moral victories.

Archived