• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Holtz Recruiting...please enlighten me

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  0

so im a little confused about something.....holtz seems like a great guy.....i think everyone on this board agrees about that....he seems very genuine and real.....

so why exactly is he not that solid of a recruiter.....he seems lilke the quintessential people person....which should be a quality of a great recruiter shouldnt it...

why does he not get the kids to commit??.....u think because its harder to pull solid recruits at ECU he was just tagged as not being a good recruiter??.....is not able to connect with the kids that well??....is there some quality he is lacking that makes a goiod recruiter?? whats the deal?

its just kinda buggin me cause he can win and he seems like a great guy why wouldnt kids wanna come play for him.....

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Hopefully it has a lot to do with being at ECU.

However, that is not going to change that much. USF to a 4/5* guy is on the same level as ECU to a 3/4* guy. He has to be able to sell the program, make kids believe that BIG things are in store for USF. It should be a little easier for him here, but I think it's one of those things where you either have it or you don't.

You know what they always said about Big Tom Callahan, he could sell a ketchup popsicle to a woman in white gloves.

I think that it was pretty easy for Leavitt because he truly had so much passion in the program. He could tell a kid anything because he sincerely believed that USF was the best place in all of college football. Holtz will need that same passion, he's got to fully buy into the program, and then get out there and sell it.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

we should have hired ron zook or ed oregron.

nah recruiting doesn't win ballgames.

did meyer recruit as well at Utah? how about Saban at Michigan State?does spurrier recruit as well at USC as he did at UF?

Programs account for 75% of recruiting. the head coach maybe 15%. Position coaches recruit more than head coaches.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf's recruiting will improve

but he needs to be judged next year

leavitt created a bad situation for any coach to come inhere get good class

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

Our last 2 classes have been good ... this year was shaping up well. Expecting Holtz to land a very good class.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

He won back to back conference championships.  His recruiting must be pretty good.

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Why not wait until signing day to pass judgement?

• Content Count:  771

Three days on the job, and Skip Holtz has his first oral commitment as head coach at USF. Jake Kaufman, a 6-foot-9, 330-pound offensive tackle from Brick Township, N.J., picked the Bulls on Sunday during an official campus visit.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/01/big-commit-jersey-tackle-69-330-picks-usf.html

This guy was recruited by big ten schools.  I think you will see that holtz will be an excellent recruiter. 

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I think you might see us doing a little more recruiting nationally.  Certainly not to the extent of Florida, Notre Dame, etc., but I wouldn't be suprised to see a few guys from other areas of the country each year.

• Content Count:  771

I think you might see us doing a little more recruiting nationally.  Certainly not to the extent of Florida, Notre Dame, etc., but I wouldn't be suprised to see a few guys from other areas of the country each year.

agreed

Archived