• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grading 2009 OC

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,652
  • Days Won:  29

I was real disappointed and didn't see much change from the prior few years.

I grade a D.

No passes to RB's & TE's

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Wow, thats pretty harsh I think.

I would say B-/C+

BJ, while a great prospect, wasn't ready. Chico was calling plays that had receivers open over the middle and BJ wasn't throwing the ball there.

Also, thinking back about when MG was playing...I saw a lot of Richard Kelly on the field, doing some blocking. After MG got hurt, that was pretty much gone. I think Chico was running a different type of spread, not expecting MG to run as much, and use his accuracy throwing the ball more. When BJ took over, the whole offense had to change. He could make the long throws, but struggled with accuracy, so he had to run more to keep the chains moving.

Our offense was disappointing, but I am not convinced that it would have been if MG didn't get hurt. If the offense did change, you have to realize that starting at week 4, it's too late to put too much in.

On the bright side, it wasn't nearly as predictable as in the past IMHO. I couldn't call plays from my seats in section 125, so that is a plus.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

No passes to RB's & TE's

That needs to be an area of focus for 2010. They are high percentage passes and can turn into big plays (see the 3rd WR screen we ran at UConn this season).

I know we all bitched about Rod Smith, but he did use the TE and RB's as part of the passing game.

• Content Count:  37,652
  • Days Won:  29

Wow, thats pretty harsh I think.

Agree it's harsh, but 2/3 of your receiving force not being used is harsh.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I grade a D.

No passes to RB's & TE's

Go BULLS !!!

And some people say E.T. is all flowers and sunshine when it comes to USF. Good post. I would agree.

I think the defense was just a little bit better than the 08' team. The corners were not burned as much, but the offense looked the same. Have to wonder if it would look much different had Grothe been healthy.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

I'd have to give it a D as well.

The most we scored on a 1a team was 34 points!

We also got shut out, put up only 10 to Miami, 14 to Pitt, and only 17 to Cincy.

Gregory actually did a better job at putting points on the board.

• Content Count:  22,702
  • Days Won:  108

Unlike McMurphy, I actually spoke with Coach Canales and Leavitt at the banquet.  Canales before and Leavitt afterwards.  Both said that after Matt went down they had to call the game much differently.  Not making excuses, just putting that out there when you discuss grading a guy.  You may want to factor that in.  I would give him a C.  Didn't see enough of the shovel/shuffle pass and only saw that option play a couple of times all year.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I grade a D.

No passes to RB's & TE's

Go BULLS !!!

agreed

lack of creativity is what surprises me and the calling of the same plays over and over

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Our in-conference scoring average went up fom 19.4ppg last year to 22.3ppg this year.  By the way, this year's number includes that craptastic performance at rutgers.  If you take that out we scored 26ppg in the other 6 games.

Given that Gregory had a junior QB and a older (better?) OL I have a hard time saying he was better.  

Things are not where we want them to be, but there were some changes including misdirection, WR screen and the deep ball.  

My grade is a C.

• Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

Unlike McMurphy, I actually spoke with Coach Canales and Leavitt at the banquet.  Canales before and Leavitt afterwards.  Both said that after Matt went down they had to call the game much differently.  Not making excuses, just putting that out there when you discuss grading a guy.  You may want to factor that in.  I would give him a C.  Didn't see enough of the shovel/shuffle pass and only saw that option play a couple of times all year.

I agree that was probably a huge factor, but I also don't see a huge style difference between BJ and Grothe.

Archived