• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grading 2009 OC

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,490
  • Days Won:  13

I give the OC an A+ we beat FSU. Everything USF is great

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  66
  • Days Won:  0

I saw a tremendous difference in the playcalling once Grothe went down. We became much less dynamic, likely because BJ wasn't ready for the full book. That's fine for his year. Next year will be different!

I was real disappointed and didn't see much change from the prior few years.

I grade a D.

No passes to RB's & TE's

Go BULLS !!!

agreed

lack of creativity is what surprises me and the calling of the same plays over and over

agreed.

D.

outside hire where are you? we need someone who hasnt absorbed the mentality that our QB should be our entire offense. someone who has more up their sleeves than qb scramble/deep ball/FB up the middle for 1yd.

• Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Unlike McMurphy, I actually spoke with Coach Canales and Leavitt at the banquet.  Canales before and Leavitt afterwards.  Both said that after Matt went down they had to call the game much differently.  Not making excuses, just putting that out there when you discuss grading a guy.  You may want to factor that in.  I would give him a C.  Didn't see enough of the shovel/shuffle pass and only saw that option play a couple of times all year.

I seem to remember Canales saying something about not changing the plays for B.J. when MG went down - I think the changes were made after the Pitt loss, but I personally think that it was about 30% playcalling and 70% freshman running the offense.  Canales got a bad rap in the Rutgers game for his playcalling, but I remember camera views looking downfield and I would see 1-2 receivers open in the middle of the field, but BJ took off running in a futile effort.  My letter grade for the OC is C+ and I think it will get better. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I think the OC would have done a great job with MG, but showed that pony only had one trick when MG went down. I was disappointed with the running game, which struggled the entire season and failed to find consistency or a solid gameplan. We certainly don't strike fear in anyone's hearts there, except a game or two of a decent running game. I saw very little creativity in playcalling, and certainly no attempts to throw in any trickery or flare (I don't mean the Voodoo kind). The players really didn't seem to develop that much as the year went on, at least not like in years past, so I'm concerned that players aren't being developed as well. Let's not even TALK about gameplanning; one needs only to look at the Rutgers and UM games to see where that's been completely deficient. Really, the gameplan in our wins wasn't all that good, and our defense is what won us the FSU game because lord knows if FSU could have scored, we wouldn't have been able to keep up. We're not playing SMART football; I get the feeling our coaches would be outmatched in a chess match, and that's really what college football is - some talent on the field, but really a chess match with the other team's professional staff. Certainly, playcalling is limited by player experience. But you've got to work with what you've got and make the most of it, and that's what I'm not sure has been happening. I do like him a lot personally though, from what I know of him, and I think he's got great rapport with the players and is great for recruiting. I'm no authority on football, that's for sure, but there's my two sense. I'd give the OC a C so he passes this year but will need to demonstrate improvement next year in order to pass.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I saw a tremendous difference in the playcalling once Grothe went down. We became much less dynamic, likely because BJ wasn't ready for the full book. That's fine for his year. Next year will be different!

than you adjust

we should have gone to more balanced attack----WE DIDNT

we should have run the ball via rbs more---WE DIDNT

WE should have gone to short passes--WE DIDNT

WE RAN SAME OFFENSE AS IF MG WAS QB

Archived