• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excuses are getting old!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

I'd like to know who the...

other schools clearly in the same position or worse turning into better teams and we seemed to be on that course but we arent. If other schools with less talent can play just all around better football then we are doing something wrong.

What other schools? 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

Sanjay,

Comparing RU to USF is not quite right. It's much harder to build a program in New Jersey than it is in Florida. There approximately 50 Division 1 football players in NJ whereas there are over 350 in FL... it's the reason Schiano (and many others) does most of his recruiting in Florida. And by the way RU has gone 5-2 in the Big East twice something USF has never done.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Lunchtime,

When RU fans come on our board and take gratuitous shots at USF on a topic that has nothing to do with RU, they should be reminded that outside of beating us they haven't done jack.

As for the numbers of D-1 football players, I think jersey is closer to 100 a year, but yes Florida produces a lot more players.  However, Florida has 7 division 1 programs competing for those players, as well as every team east of the mississippi (and this year oregon and texas tech), while jersey has maybe 15 schools that really recruit there.

• Content Count:  720

Quit comparing us to 75% of losers Bullshitznitz, and start comparing us to the 25% of the winners! I love how numbers look on paper I just can't get enough of that! What I don't like are how the numbers are looking on the scoreboard which is about the ONLY thing that matters.

By the way we're 2-2 and maybe soon to be 2-3 against that terrible UCONN team.

If you think UConn is terrible you should probably try watching some football sometime.

That was sarcasim NCBull. We're 2-2 vs. UCONN so I know they're not terrible.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Bullshitznitz. Why do you keep comparing us to teams that have a storied history with national championships and tons of conference titles and both of those teams are STILL IN THE TOP 25 while having off seasons. I think that USF fans could be a little more understanding if we had some of those accolades and then we're just having and off season or two. You know? Being that one play or one player away from turning things around. Instead we've been stuck in mediocrity for our existence. You need to compare apples to apples.

My point of making these comparisons is to show how exactly riduculous some of the arguements are....exactly compare apples to apples.....don't put expectations on USF comparable to those of programs like USC, UF, etc...  [glow=red,2,300]We don't have the resources, history, or talent currently.[/glow] 

And wow...."our existence"....all 5 total years in the Big East.  And again, not to let pesky little things like "FACTS" get in the way of some more great emotionally driven rants....but that "mediocrity" has produced 5 straight winning seasons, 5 straight bowl games and 7 wins over top 25 teams.  USF has recruited in the bottom 1/3 of the BCS teams over the past 5 years, but have performed at a level of the top 1/3 of BCS teams. 

I guess some of us realize that this isn't the NFL.  That one or two players isn't going to change a program.  That it takes a few years of improving recruiting classes to build a program and that it isn't going to happen overnight. 

This is exactly the point I was making by starting this (and I'm not aiming this at you personally.)  But back to my original question..... if we don't have the resources, history or talent, then how do we beat 7 top 25 teams, but we can't score a point on Rutgers, and lose to Uconn, etc?  We didn't have the resources, history or talent to beat them, but we can beat top teams?

INCONSISTENCY = coaching

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

AND went on that year and played a much tougher, closer game @ Miami?

It's funny how people's memories seem to adjust over time to what they WANT to believe ... Truth is, the 2005 game was very similar to the one on Saturday.

Not hardly.   ::)   I was there.  Miami didn't run all over us at will.  They had to fight hard for that game.

The score was 17-0 after the 1st quarter .... 20-0 at the half ..... 27-7 final (with USF scoring with about 5 mins left in game). We must have different definitions of having to "fight hard" ...   ;)

I guess we do, because considering almost every Miami drive started on our side of the 50, it was an accomplishment limiting them to 20 the first half.

We definitely have a different definition of Miami having to "fight hard" if you think them starting every drive in the first half from our side of the 50 meant they had to fight hard for the win .... sounds like they hardly had to break a sweat.  Does sounds like WE had to fight hard to keep it from being a greater blowout, though ....  ;)

Considering they could've come away with 45 + first half points?  Yes keeping them to 20 was a fight.  If you were there, you can't deny that team fought hard every down.

Besides, this is a side issue.....back my original point......see my post above

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

1. anyone who believes we have more talent than all these teams we played is a fool

2. this was a rebuilding year at best, especially once Grothe went down with an injury-- but even before that in my eyes. You don't just replace the entire offensive line and a good portion of other starters with freshmen and expect that you are going to somehow be awesome 100% of the time

3. our fans are hypercritical of the team and it's performance primarily because we have typically never seen any setbacks other than on losing season after our first season. It is a fact that we lack the resources, talent, and history to think we can simply continue to improve after our quick rise to the middle of the BCS pack.

4. the incredible upset wins scattered across the history of USF football should not be used as the measuring stick for the entire program. The team's performance on those specific days are the result of many variables all going our way. Sometimes you have to understand that the same variables can work against us (we get upset) and in other situations, we cannot bring those variables to the table.

bottom line-- if you told me in 2002 that we would be going to our fifth bowl game in a row in 2009-- I would be amazed and happy. Instead, we have people who are so delusional about what USF football currently is that they act like the Notre Dames of the world, demanding better performance as if it is a birthright.

I say give it a few years-- we seem to run in cycles with this team (as do most teams) where positive field success leads to better recruiting which eventually leads once again to positive field results. I know it sucks to not win a conference title in our history, but the last time I checked few people had thought we were the team to beat in the Big East at any time we've been a member-- save that stupid ass situation where we fell into the #2 ranking for a week and everyone went nuts thinking we were the next big thing in football. I will be happy if we can continue to build the program the right way so that when we do have the talent & resources, we eventually make some history.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I'd like to know who the...

other schools clearly in the same position or worse turning into better teams and we seemed to be on that course but we arent. If other schools with less talent can play just all around better football then we are doing something wrong.

What other schools? 

STANFORD WAS MUCH WORSE OFF 3 YEARS AGO

NOW they would smoke usf

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Bullshitznitz. Why do you keep comparing us to teams that have a storied history with national championships and tons of conference titles and both of those teams are STILL IN THE TOP 25 while having off seasons. I think that USF fans could be a little more understanding if we had some of those accolades and then we're just having and off season or two. You know? Being that one play or one player away from turning things around. Instead we've been stuck in mediocrity for our existence. You need to compare apples to apples.

My point of making these comparisons is to show how exactly riduculous some of the arguements are....exactly compare apples to apples.....don't put expectations on USF comparable to those of programs like USC, UF, etc...  [glow=red,2,300]We don't have the resources, history, or talent currently.[/glow] 

And wow...."our existence"....all 5 total years in the Big East.  And again, not to let pesky little things like "FACTS" get in the way of some more great emotionally driven rants....but that "mediocrity" has produced 5 straight winning seasons, 5 straight bowl games and 7 wins over top 25 teams.  USF has recruited in the bottom 1/3 of the BCS teams over the past 5 years, but have performed at a level of the top 1/3 of BCS teams. 

I guess some of us realize that this isn't the NFL.  That one or two players isn't going to change a program.  That it takes a few years of improving recruiting classes to build a program and that it isn't going to happen overnight. 

This is exactly the point I was making by starting this (and I'm not aiming this at you personally.)  But back to my original question..... if we don't have the resources, history or talent, then how do we beat 7 top 25 teams, but we can't score a point on Rutgers, and lose to Uconn, etc?  We didn't have the resources, history or talent to beat them, but we can beat top teams?

INCONSISTENCY = coaching

great point

Archived