• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Excuses are getting old!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Every time we lose, the same excuses.......We aren't recruiting as high, we are a young program, We need better blah blah blah.

Here's my question:

Why aren't these things a factor when we go beat #18 Auburn, #9 WVa, #10 Kansas, #5 WVa, #17 FSU, etc?

Why aren't these things a factor when we made a heck of a game out of it @ Penn St (with far less talent than we have now,) AND went on that year and played a much tougher, closer game @ Miami?

Why are they only factors when we lose miserably or to a less talented team that we should've beaten?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Hmmmmmm, and where were the fire Jim Leavitt threads after those victories over a ranked Auburn, WVU, Kansas, WVU, Louisville, FSU, etc....? 

Oh, he only sucks when we lose.  I guess none of those victories over teams with more talent, and some of them on the road in hostile places had anything to do with the coaching staff. 

Gotcha. 

• Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

We don't hear those things when we win because:

1. The players were motivated.

2. The players were well prepared.

3. The players played above expectations.

IMO, all 3 of those things are part of what coaches are paid to do. They are paid to motivate young men to play to the best of their ability, and sometimes, actually find an extra gear. The loss to Miami aside, I am disappointed with the coference losses. We have the same type of recruits that our conference foes have, yet the same 2 teams have beaten us 4 years in a row.

As for the "Leavitt coached us in those wins" people. Why, is it OK to you to have an upset or 2 a year, yet have NO CHANCE in conference play??

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Its not Leavitts fault... its the coordinators... when we prepare properly for a game we win, when our coordinators don't prepare and play conservative "safe" football we get our asses beat...

safe is death

• Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

Hmmmmmm, and where were the fire Jim Leavitt threads after those victories over a ranked Auburn, WVU, Kansas, WVU, Louisville, FSU, etc....?   

Oh, he only sucks when we lose.  I guess none of those victories over teams with more talent, and some of them on the road in hostile places had anything to do with the coaching staff. 

Gotcha. 

That's my point!  If it was coaching, why do they take the week off when we play Rutgers?

• Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Its not Leavitts fault... its the coordinators... when we prepare properly for a game we win, when our coordinators don't prepare and play conservative "safe" football we get our asses beat...

safe is death

If you were being sarcastic with the "It's not Leavitt fault" then I apologize. However, if your serious, you can't be serious. The HC is responsible for everything that goes on within the coaching staff.

• Content Count:  959

Oh, he only ***** when we lose.

No, I think the issue is the WAY we often lose, how our team looks and plays when we lose. And, in my opinion, how we look sometimes when we win, too. The first three games this season had some really ugly play in them and, personally, I'm glad we made it to 7-4 given what I saw the team doing, and especially after we lost Grothe.

In a lot of people's minds, when our team doesn't even show up, that's why he *****.

• Content Count:  1,768

Oh, he only ***** when we lose.  I guess none of those victories over teams with more talent, and some of them on the road in hostile places had anything to do with the coaching staff. 

Gotcha. 

That's my point!  If it was coaching, why do they take the week off when we play Rutgers?

Why did USC take the week off against Stanford this year?   Or Oregon?  I guess USC must be scrambling to kick Pete Caroll out the door.  Because.....gasp.....I mean there's just no excuse to lose to ranked/good teams.  

And OK, so let me get this straight,  basically what you're all saying is USF should be undefeated every year.  Cause apparently when we beat more talented ranked teams...."thats what coaches get paid to do" (despite the fact that there are well paid staffs with more talent getting paid to do the same thing across the sideline every game).....but any loss (even when to ranked more talented teams) is inexusable.  

OK, Gotcha.  

I forgot we are living in the sugar gum drop world.   Here's to hoping BJ sprouts wings before next week so he fly into the endzone every offensive possession.  

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

If you were being sarcastic with the "It's not Leavitt fault" then I apologize. However, if your serious, you can't be serious. The HC is responsible for everything that goes on within the coaching staff.

Not being sarcastic... sure the buck stops with him but at the end of the day we need to put blame where it is due and that is on the coordinator. Now if Leavitt sits around and does not fire Canales then its his fault too and he owns it at that point.

If I don't do a good job at my office my boss is held accountable for my mishaps but ultimately its my fault.

:2cents

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

AND went on that year and played a much tougher, closer game @ Miami?

It's funny how people's memories seem to adjust over time to what they WANT to believe ... Truth is, the 2005 game was very similar to the one on Saturday.

Archived