• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Offense and a needed change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

In my opinion, the way we run our offense, with so much reliance on one player to be dominant, we won't win the Big East.  We need another true offensive threat to keep the defenses honest.

I am starting to be of the opinion that the running backs we have are barely average for the BCS level. With the injury to Taylor it is tough to know, but I have lost all confidence in Franks to develop a good running back.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,558
  • Days Won:  0

Forde is a good back, he needs the ball

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I don't think there is alot of changes needed on offense as far as people saying we recruit for the spread. The QB is really the main guy who gets recruited to our offensive system based on physicality. Must be able to run and throw. Backs, receivers, and the O-line are about the same no matter the system, because when it comes to some schemes, it's a matter of teaching. We recruit a bigger O-line in the future, and we'll be fine no matter what.

IMO changing a defensive scheme is harder than changing an offensive scheme. With the defensive scheme, you are either relying on having a fast guy, or a big guy, or that guy in the middle who you hope can excel in whatever system you're running.

The BE seems to have a good mix of teams' schemes. I don't think it's a matter of what system is being run, but how the coaching develops the players in said system (assuming they have recruited someone suitable).

I'd definitely like to see USF get a feature running back in order. Relying on a mediocre running back (or two, or three, or five) really doesn't pose a threat. Teams will gladly play 'bend but don't break' defense and allow our RBs to get a few big gainers, because they KNOW that our staff won't leave one back in the game very long (even if he is gashing it up the middle or consistently making good plays). Thus, they can shut down the longer routes, spy on the QB, and hope we don't start burning them underneath...and voila, you can beat USF.

Look back at WVU the past 3-4 years. Pat White and their spread/option offense was effective because Pat could throw, and he could run. But he had Steve Slaton and then Noel Devine to be a featured runner. Now their system is different this year, and you can see that while Jarrett Brown is somewhat mobile, that 3rd dimension that White brought to the table is gone, and it's easier to focus on Devine, shut down the passing routes, and make Brown beat you underneath, and voila...we beat WVU.

Maybe I'm wrong about it all. I'm no HC or OC.

I say:

1. Get O-line bigger, get them to block for specific running routes.

2. Featured RB, max of two. Preferably one mid size RB for full time use, a smaller sprinty guy that can be used here and there/side passes in space, and a big bruiser fullback for use on 3rd and short plays, and goal line pushes..the rest of the time he can line up in the back and run the running route and take an upfield block for the featured RB.

• Content Count:  8,159

We need need a new offensive scheme and an o line that can block... can't blame Leavitt for this... its not his fault the University goes cheap on the Coord's compared to other State programs.

If Mangino gets canned then we need to lure him down here with money or a cupcake on a string...

please stop with the money excuse.

UF pays their OC a whopping $7k a year more than we do.

Central Michigan pays their OC $90k less than we do.  They still manage to field a decent offense.

BTW the line falls on CJL. He signs them. If he needs someone else to recruit and develop a decent line then he needs to make that move.

...Central Michigan?!....

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We need need a new offensive scheme and an o line that can block... can't blame Leavitt for this... its not his fault the University goes cheap on the Coord's compared to other State programs.

If Mangino gets canned then we need to lure him down here with money or a cupcake on a string...

Central Michigan pays their OC $90k less than we do.  They still manage to field a decent offense.

BTW the line falls on CJL. He signs them. If he needs someone else to recruit and develop a decent line then he needs to make that move.

yes central michigan.

the team that has the #18 scoring offense in the country.

a team that is 9-2 with a win over michigan state. their only losses are to arizona and BC.

it is possible to get good coaches with what we pay.

The #1 offense in the country pays their OC $17k more than we do.

The #3 offense in the country pays their OC $20k LESS than we do.

The #4 offense in the country pays their OC $102k LESS than we do.

I'm just tired of the salary excuse.

• Content Count:  8,159

yes central michigan.

a team that is 9-2 with a win over michigan state. their only losses are to arizona and BC.

Fair enough, and I agree with your point.  Central Michigan just seemed a strange example to use out of all the teams out there.

But we also field a "decent offense," even if we pay more than they do.  In fact, sometimes it's outstanding...and sometimes it's not.  But it's been that way for a long time with multiple OCs, so your point of it falling with CJL is also right, I think.  But I like what Mike's doing overall....I think he probably banked a little too much on Grothe staying under center and now he and BJ have showed their relative lack of chemistry.  And yes, for every good play call he makes a questionable one....those have to stop when BJ gets the experience he needs to run this offense.  O-line play is also in need of experience to help this out.

It seems to me more and more than this may be our peak year on defense...but our offense needs another year or two to peak.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

yes central michigan.

Fair enough, and I agree with your point.  Central Michigan just seemed a strange example to use out of all the teams out there.

But we also field a "decent offense," even if we pay more than they do.  In fact, sometimes it's outstanding...and sometimes it's not.  But it's been that way for a long time with multiple OCs, so your point of it falling with CJL is also right, I think.  But I like what Mike's doing overall....I think he probably banked a little too much on Grothe staying under center and now he and BJ have showed their relative lack of chemistry.  And yes, for every good play call he makes a questionable one....those have to stop when BJ gets the experience he needs to run this offense.  O-line play is also in need of experience to help this out.

It seems to me more and more than this may be our peak year on defense...but our offense needs another year or two to peak.

someone had mentioned him in a post a few days ago as someone we should have considered when making the hire. He just stuck with me as an example of a good coach that doesn't make more than our guy. I'm just tired of the salary excuse.

I'm willing to give Canales time especially considering the Grothe injury. I wish he had made some adjustments with the offense(i.e. extra blockers,simple reads,etc.) when BJ took over. I'm not a huge fan of running out of the spread as our base offense but that falls with Leavitt. I'm sure our offense will get better with experience and I hope our defense hasn't peaked.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

I just want to know what everyone thinks about this topic. Will USF ever be a power house team if we have to rely on the quarterback so much? With Grothe and now B.J. they both lead are team in rushing each year. I don't know if they can get up and play every game with so much pressure on them. When they play great we win but when their not so hot we can't do anything. No other team in world is this dependent on a player than we are. I think it has a lot to do with the offensive system that hasn't changed in 5 years. If were on and playin great we're hard to contain. I just don't think this style can work for a full season. I could be way off but its always the same old story our QB has to have the game of his life to get a win.

you cant be a power house when you have one weapon

you are a power house when you have many weapons

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

yes central michigan.

someone had mentioned him in a post a few days ago as someone we should have considered when making the hire. He just stuck with me as an example of a good coach that doesn't make more than our guy. I'm just tired of the salary excuse.

I'm willing to give Canales time especially considering the Grothe injury. I wish he had made some adjustments with the offense(i.e. extra blockers,simple reads,etc.) when BJ took over. I'm not a huge fan of running out of the spread as our base offense but that falls with Leavitt. I'm sure our offense will get better with experience and I hope our defense hasn't peaked.

salary excuse is a joke

you get what you pay for

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Yeah, ask the fine folks at Notre Dame, or Michigan.

If it were only as simple as some portray.

Archived