• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Interesting Story on Carnes...

Brad

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

logo2.gif

Carnes/Burton trying to win over Sanders

by Alan Dell

Quarterbacks Brion Carnes of Manatee High and Trey Burton from Venice are not just fighting for a title when they meet Friday night in their Class 5A-District 10 showdown.

They are both trying to win the heart of Manatee High receiver Ace Sanders.

The 5-10 senior wideout is the apple of their eye for good reason. He is fast, savvy and rarely drops a ball. In short, he can help make the transition to college ball a lot easier for either Carnes or Burton.

Sanders has more than 15 scholarship offers from BCS schools, including the University of South Florida, where Carnes has committed.

He has not received an offer from Florida, but Burton says it’s academic.

Burton, who committed to Florida prior to his sophomore season, talks with Gators coach Urban Meyer on a weekly basis and says it’s just a matter of time before Sanders gets an offer.

“He is close to getting an offer and I am trying to get Ace to come to Florida,” Burton says. “In fact, me and his mom have a little rivalry going. His mom and I joke around a lot and she says this is the year they finally get us (Venice has won the last two meetings).”

Besides being teammates, Carnes and Sanders are cousins. But the Manatee High quarterback says Sanders is the type of person who makes up his own mind and it won’t matter what any player says.

Sanders is not talking about all this and says right now he plans to take all five of his NCAA allowable visits before he chooses a school. If it matters, his dad Tracy, who played for FSU, says mom wants Ace to go to USF because it’s close to home and she loves Bulls head coach Jim Leavitt.

The one thing Burton doesn’t like talking about is the comparison of him with Gators quarterback Tim Tebow. He finds all that stuff ludicrous and wishes it would stop.

“It’s not fair to me since he is the best player in college football,” Burton says. “It’s not even close. I know it (the comparison) is not true. Tebow is awesome and I am not on his level in anyway. He is better in every aspect. “

Link

I'll move to appropriate board shortly...

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Carnes is already committed to USF and I feel that he's solid. No insider info I just have a feeling. Carnes seems like the type of kid that feels he can complete for the starting job as a freshman and that's the type of kids you want.

I would also say that the story is more about Sanders than Carnes. With all the talk in the media about UF not having a go to reciever this year worries me about Sanders. Also the fact that Brantley is a pocket pass is more alluring than out receiver by committee. Hopefully blood is thicker than water and Sanders should know that Momma always knows best. GO BULLS!!!!!

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

i really want Carnes to remain commited... i would LOVE to get Carnes and Sanders...

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

I want Carnes to come here as well, but wow it would be a cluster f of QB's. BJ, Landi, Carnes and with all 3 having talent to be a starter egos will be flaring.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,018
  • Days Won:  469

I am no expert, but it would seem to me that Landi returns to wideout..no?

Carnes and Daniels compete hard for QB?

I love it.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I love it.

Landi back to WR and Marc to either RB to safety.  Would be great.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

Think about if we get Godfrey and Tarean Austin as well! Does anyone here see Godfrey as a D-1 QB? He's awfully small.

I would love to see Landi back a WR. He seems like a Kerry Mier type of WR. Nothing flashy just get the yards.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

I love it.

Leavitt always keeps three reasonable QBs on the depth chart.  Landi could be backup QB and WR.  I'd be surprised if Carnes isn't redshirted, unless Daniels fails to develop as this season goes on.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Think about if we get Godfrey and Tarean Austin as well! Does anyone here see Godfrey as a D-1 QB? He's awfully small.

I would love to see Landi back a WR. He seems like a Kerry Mier type of WR. Nothing flashy just get the yards.

I doubt we take 3 QBs in a year we're supposed to have around 20 scholarships (At 20 there will be some turnover, but if we sign 25 expect real heavy turnover in the spring).

Carnes is committed and hopefully gets in academically.

If Godfrey commits I think we take him and pass on Austin.

If Godfrey goes elsewhere then I think it's 50-50 for another QB and Austin may be that guy.

Archived