• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Wayback Machine: Future Schedules

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

As far as our schedule, there really isn't much more room in the forseeable future. 2010 is booked. 2011, 2012 & 2013 are booked except for our annual I-aa school and then one non-BCS I-A school. So we won't see any big name school signings until 2014. As far as UCF, the earliest we could see them is 2011 and I doubt that because we actually need a road game in 2011 and then a home game in 2012. I doubt USF would give UCF that chance. My guess is someone like a "Buffalo" or a "Troy". I know we have been talking to FAMU about doing multiple games in Tampa over the next few years.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I agree we should be playing FSU/UM/UF but why not schedule UCF instead of 1 of the I-AA teams.  Also, who is to say that the "Big 3" will schedule us in the future if we become too competitive.  From their perspective they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us (much like we say with UCF).

UCF really has nothing to do with our scheduling 1-AA games.

We play 1-AA teams because we need 5 OOC games a year and we only play 3 Big East teams every other year.

The only way we can avoid playing a 1-AA team is to PAY a 1-A team to come here with no return game, or get an uneven series in our favor  against a 1-A team as we did with FAU and FIU. Of course, we saw that it backfired with FIU this year when they were able to buy out of the second return game. That could still also happen with FAU.

I'm pretty ceertain that if UCF would agree with a 3-2 series in our favor, we would schedule them. That's what WVU did with instate rival, non BCS member, Marshall.None of the Florida BCS schools have a 1-1 series planned with UCF. I believe Miami has a 2-1 with them.

Now, if you were arguing that we should play UCF on an equal basis instead of Western Kentucky, Ball State or any other non BCS out of state team, that would be a different point. We may very well end up doing that down the road, but so far we haven't chosen to go that route.      

WVU actually has a 5-2 with Marshall.  5 at WVU, and 2 at Marshall (Look up their schedules). 

Actually, it was a little more complicated than that when the series was signed:

"Manchin said the site of the 2009 game will be determined based on which team wins the majority of the first three games. WVU is guaranteed at least four home games in the series; Marshall has the chance to play up to three home games."

http://www.statejournal.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2843

The bottom line is they ended up with 5 home games out of 7, and everyone knew they were going to get 5 home games, unless Marshall could pull some upsets at wVU, which was not going to happen given the disparity between the teams.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I agree we should be playing FSU/UM/UF but why not schedule UCF instead of 1 of the I-AA teams.  Also, who is to say that the "Big 3" will schedule us in the future if we become too competitive.  From their perspective they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us (much like we say with UCF).

We play 1-AA teams because we need 5 OOC games a year and we only play 3 Big East teams every other year.

The only way we can avoid playing a 1-AA team is to PAY a 1-A team to come here with no return game, or get an uneven series in our favor  against a 1-A team as we did with FAU and FIU. Of course, we saw that it backfired with FIU this year when they were able to buy out of the second return game. That could still also happen with FAU.

I'm pretty ceertain that if UCF would agree with a 3-2 series in our favor, we would schedule them. That's what WVU did with instate rival, non BCS member, Marshall.None of the Florida BCS schools have a 1-1 series planned with UCF. I believe Miami has a 2-1 with them.

Now, if you were arguing that we should play UCF on an equal basis instead of Western Kentucky, Ball State or any other non BCS out of state team, that would be a different point. We may very well end up doing that down the road, but so far we haven't chosen to go that route.      

WVU actually has a 5-2 with Marshall.  5 at WVU, and 2 at Marshall (Look up their schedules). 

Actually, it was a little more complicated than that when the series was signed:

"Manchin said the site of the 2009 game will be determined based on which team wins the majority of the first three games. WVU is guaranteed at least four home games in the series; Marshall has the chance to play up to three home games."

The bottom line is they ended up with 5 home games out of 7, and everyone knew they were going to get 5 home games, unless Marshall could pull some upsets at wVU, which was not going to happen given the disparity between the teams.

I'm not sure exactly what your point is.

MY point is that USF would probably agree to a series with UCF along the same lines that WVU made with Marshall.

Like WVU with Marshall, USF has leverage over UCF.

One way or another, USF will be looking to get the extra home game against UCF in whatever type of series they end up making with them.

As far as our schedule, there really isn't much more room in the forseeable future. 2010 is booked. 2011, 2012 & 2013 are booked except for our annual I-aa school and then one non-BCS I-A school. So we won't see any big name school signings until 2014. As far as UCF, the earliest we could see them is 2011 and I doubt that because we actually need a road game in 2011 and then a home game in 2012. I doubt USF would give UCF that chance. My guess is someone like a "Buffalo" or a "Troy". I know we have been talking to FAMU about doing multiple games in Tampa over the next few years.

Correct, the first we would possibly see UCF would be 2012.  I could possibly see us buying a home game for 2011, and then doing 2012 and 2013 with UCF, with the 2012 game being at home.  But more likely this will not happen, and another team will be brought in.  Also, about non conf. BCS opponents, there are no openings until 2018 really.  There is one opening in 2014, 2016, and 2017, but in reality, these slots are reserved for UM or FSU.  

I'm not sure exactly what your point is.

MY point is that USF would probably agree to a series with UCF along the same lines that WVU made with Marshall.

Like WVU with Marshall, USF has leverage over UCF.

One way or another, USF will be looking to get the extra home game against UCF in whatever type of series they end up making with them.

My point is that wVU knew they were getting 5 out of 7, unless marshall could pull a HUGE upset in the first 3 games of series (actually 2 upsets, to win 2 out of first 3).  This series was a 5-2, flat out.

I highly doubt UCF agrees to a 5-2, but if they do, then and only then might I be inclined to sign a deal with them.  Actually the best thing for USF would be to do occasional 1-0s with UCF every 3-5 yrs or so.  Other than that, concentrate on deals with Miami and FSU. 

• Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

USF's schedule plan appears to be one I-AA home game, two non-BCS teams and two BCS teams for the 5 games of out of conference play. The one I-AA is because one is allowed to count towards bowl eligibility and is a guaranteed home game for money purposes. USF would prefer to have both non-BCS teams be home games, but since they charge so much for payday game, they appear to be trying to get one home and one away with the two non-BCS games each year. There is no way USF football will have the money for a BCS payday game, so USF is trying to get one BCS OOC home and away game each year. I see this as a very good plan for USF to build on. I know smazza wants nothing but BCS OOC, but I don't think USF is storied enough to swing that or has enough cash for enough home games for that right now.

I don't have a problem with playing one I-AA team as long as it counts for bowl eligibility. But after 2010, USF still needs one more non-BCS game each year, so working out some kind of deal with UCF would be good. Since, UCF seems to want the game more than USF, I don't have a problem asking for more than a 1-1 deal. The problem is that the more moneyed BCS teams are paying for non-BCS teams to travel, so as long as UCF is willing to wait on a 1-1 with USF this deal won't happen.

Of course, this may already be happening behind the scenes at USF/UCF and we just don't know it.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Someone needs to waste public services with a Freedom of Information Act request...we need to know!

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

This is really a simple solution.

Play them every other year when we have to schedule an extra home game because of the conference schedule.

Pay'em 300k. Offer five of them, same weekend, every time.

Take it or leave it!

Archived