• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Wayback Machine: Future Schedules

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Does anyone remember this heated article Brett posted back in 2006?

The link to his records request that gave him all of this info is no longer there.

I accidently stumbled upon this again and it brought me the question, since Murph was right about Ball State and Western Kentucky, what ever became of the proposed series with Buffalo or Illinois? I just assume since that was 06' and we haven't heard anything that nothing came of it but I just wanted to throw this back out there for fun.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/look_into_the_future/

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,386
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone remember this heated article Brett posted back in 2006?

The link to his records request that gave him all of this info is no longer there.

I accidently stumbled upon this again and it brought me the question, since Murph was right about Ball State and Western Kentucky, what ever became of the proposed series with Buffalo or Illinois? I just assume since that was 06' and we haven't heard anything that nothing came of it but I just wanted to throw this back out there for fun.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/look_into_the_future/

In the article, he mentions that this was the proposed schedule if the contracts were worked out. Obviously, they were not. I read a recent blog by Brett where he discusses why USF played Chas So (scroll down to After FIU fled, reason USF stuck with I-AA “not simple†Posted September 18, 2009 by Brett McMurphy)

Here is the relevant quote.

But how did USF get stuck with two FCS schools after FIU bought out of the game? Leavitt said there’s not a simple answer.

“There’s so many things that come into play,†Leavitt said. “It’s not just, ‘If this or that.’ It’s not that simple.

“There’s money – how much you’re going to pay people, who’s willing to come here and who’s wanting to? – the dates, the conference, there’s a lot of things that come into play with scheduling. There just is. There just isn’t one straight answer.â€

With only 11 games and the season eight months away, the Bulls, who paid Wofford $300,000, were forced to up the ante to get Charleston Southern. USF is paying CSU $450,000, the same amount the school received for playing at the University of Florida two weeks ago. By comparison, USF will only receive $500,00 for playing at UF next season.

USF may have been able to find a Division I BCS or non-BCS school instead of Charleston Southern, but those games usually come with a price tag between $600,000 and $1 million – something USF can’t afford at this time.

That’s why last week USF played at Western Kentucky, in its first season as a FBS member, as part of a home-and-home series with the Hilltoppers, instead of paying WKU to come to Tampa for one game.

So according to this, the standard payout to a non-BCS team seems to be over $600k and I-AA teams between $250-500k. So scheduling a home and home seems like the cheaper way to go. Scheduling a home and home with UCF seems like it would be even cheaper. Question is, do home and homes require money as well or is it only compensation for travel?

• Content Count:  740
  • Days Won:  3

usf should play ucf every year.  those games are fun and always packed.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

UCF-No!  FSU, UF, and UM-Yes!

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

UCF-No!  FSU, UF, and UM-Yes!

The more money we save the more that we can spend on turf painting, banners for Ray Jay, and other stuff... Here is a big hypothetical question for those that do not want to ever play UCiF again...

(Q). Would you be in favor of USF playing UCF again on an annual or biannual basis if it saves USF enough money to paint the turf for some of the home games, and add new banners at every home game?

For me its all about money and a cheap road trip every other year... sure Miami is a great replacement school to add to the schedule and hopefully it becomes a rivalry game.  However as far as dollars goes you can not get cheaper then a drive up I-4 to mouse town and back.

I would only be in favor of a renewed series with UCiF if the team put the savings into jazzing up RayJay some more.

• Content Count:  46

I agree we should be playing FSU/UM/UF but why not schedule UCF instead of 1 of the I-AA teams.  Also, who is to say that the "Big 3" will schedule us in the future if we become too competitive.  From their perspective they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us (much like we say with UCF).

• Content Count:  166

I agree we should be playing FSU/UM/UF but why not schedule UCF instead of 1 of the I-AA teams.  Also, who is to say that the "Big 3" will schedule us in the future if we become too competitive.  From their perspective they have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us (much like we say with UCF).

You answered your own question about why we prefer not to schedule UCF.  Imagine what might have happened if we had laid an even bigger egg last year and lost in OT.  The fallout could have included recruting, national perception, etc...  Besides, and this is not a new topic as far as I've read, I have no desire to return to that rinky dink bouncyball of a stadium and get harrassed by UCif fans ever again.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf should play ucf every year.  those games are fun and always packed.

the state legislature should force usf to play this game

it is absurd usf play a 1aaa team instead---we are our own worst enemy

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

You answered your own question about why we prefer not to schedule UCF.  Imagine what might have happened if we had laid an even bigger egg last year and lost in OT.  The fallout could have included recruting, national perception, etc...  Besides, and this is not a new topic as far as I've read, I have no desire to return to that rinky dink bouncyball of a stadium and get harrassed by UCif fans ever again.

you dont not schedule game because you are afraid to lose

• Content Count:  1,386

you dont not schedule game because you are afraid to lose

I have to agree with smazza. USF fans complained about wanting to schedule UF/FSU/UM and shouldn't have the double standard of playing UCiF. It would be a cheap trip with no hotels and a short bus ride. Maybe have a tradition of the fans following the buses over early on game day?

Archived