• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bohemian Rhapsody

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Anything to disrupt the other team, I'd Guess...  VIVA' #8

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  597
  • Content Count:  6,557
  • Days Won:  3

I hate band posts and usually avoid them.  There is no serious effort to make the band larger other than words.  The first year the band existed it was mainly a word of mouth thing.  Sid bought enough instruments to equip a band almost twice the size it was.  I think there are like 20 available sousaphones.  I heard from someone that they were starting a band, I inquired with the Fine arts department and that was it.  Most bands recruit heavily from "quality" highschool programs.  I first heard about UCF from their band recruiting for example.  We need to do the same thing.  We also need to find former "band geeks" that enroll at USF and brainwash them into joining.  College band was more fun for me than other other activity I did in college because it was nothing but an excuse for similarly minded and talented folks to get together and party.  There were no rules or committments other than showing up to practice.  Secondly we got to travel to conference tournaments for both women and men hoops.  Those were the days.

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  274
  • Days Won:  0

I think the band plays the same thing over and over again because the football games are really nothing more than practice for them.  Its the competitions they are working toward and the game gives them one more chance to practice their competition show, does anybody know if thats right?

Umm...no...they have played Queen a couple times..and yes you will here it again at the last two games because of conflicts with practice times.  Now that basketball season is starting they have a large portion of people that can't be at rehersal so they had to do the Queen show again.  Now they did learn a new show but its rather short so they are adding on a portion of the Queen show on for lenghth becuase they were relying on the Saturday morning before the Memphis game but that is no longer possible (No rehersal on Wed or Fri around Thanksgiving).  As for competitions...they don't compete...they did one exibition as a recruiting thing this year and they did the Queen show and the crowd loved it, sorry yall don't.  The band is bigger this year than it has been in the last few.  

Don't forget the band program is just as young as the football program.  

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Well, I understand it's difficult, but when Sid was the director there was not this problem.  Sounds like poor management, they knew the BBall games would conflict with practice and they had to know when Thanksgiving was.  

I do like the Queen show, however, once is enough.  You have to mix it up after that or this is what you run into from the "regular" football fan.  

As far as the stans music go, Sid had a book complied of about 60+ tunes.  Does the band still use that book?  There was some good stuff in there from myself and from Keith.  

• Topic Count:  693
  • Content Count:  5,550

I think the band plays the same thing over and over again because the football games are really nothing more than practice for them.  Its the competitions they are working toward and the game gives them one more chance to practice their competition show, does anybody know if thats right?

I would hope that this is not considered practice. Anytime you're playing live in front of 20,000 people shouldn't be considered practice.

• Topic Count:  131
  • Content Count:  3,096

As a former band member, I really cant stand when other people bash the band.  If you all remember correctly, the band has only played Queen for no more than 3 games (Army and ECU for sure and Southern Miss is a maybe).  For the Tenn Tech game and maybe the Southern Miss game, they did Pirates of the Caribbean.  Last year when I was in the band we did 3 shows.  The first couple games were Spanish stuff, then came music from Gladiator, and the final one was a song from each of the previou shows along with a KISS song and Van Halen song. All in all, i really wish that people, would give the band members a break.  The reason why I had to quit band this year is due to the fact that it was hard to balance band and classes.  I truly look up to anybody who can balance this schedule.

Don't forget the band program is just as young as the football program.  

I actually beleve that it is younger than the football team

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

As a former band member, I really cant stand when other people bash the band.  If you all remember correctly, the band has only played Queen for no more than 3 games (Army and ECU for sure and Southern Miss is a maybe).  For the Tenn Tech game and maybe the Southern Miss game, they did Pirates of the Caribbean.  Last year when I was in the band we did 3 shows.  The first couple games were Spanish stuff, then came music from Gladiator, and the final one was a song from each of the previou shows along with a KISS song and Van Halen song. All in all, i really wish that people, would give the band members a break.  The reason why I had to quit band this year is due to the fact that it was hard to balance band and classes.  I truly look up to anybody who can balance this schedule.

I actually beleve that it is younger than the football team

They played it at the So Miss game. I was there and at Army. I was surprised they played it there too. If they do 3 songs, why not play each one and then repeat instead of repeating each one two or three times in a row?

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,360
  • Days Won:  43

You are right in that the HOT is even younger then our football team. I think the band does well, but I just think they get cut off too many times by that big sound system at the stadium. I am all for the HOT to play more and have the sound system play less. It is supposed to be college football not NFL. To anyone in the band, keep up the good work. You guys do a nice job during the half time right near the pirate ship.

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  85

If the halftime show isn't important to the band, I'd rather see Rocky and Hootie wrestle or some stupid stunt like that.  Please no more "Mama, Just killed a  man, Put a gun against his head, Pulled my trigger, now he's dead"

Can we get those strippers that twirl the batons to give lap dances?