• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I've been on Hobbie for a while

Guest S.  Bien
I was a very vocal critic of Hobbie earlier this season.  Primarily because I thought he didn't get it.

Well, I don't know if it was Hobbie or CJL - but the offense has adjusted midseason.  The system relies on our strong running game (rather than passing it), and makes it easier on PJ to make plays that he can, rather than those he has to.

If Hobbie has actually found his brain and used it to make these mid-season adjustments, then I must say it was never expected.  It's a shame that he couldn't make these changes earlier this year.

Finally, Anthony Severino played last night - blowing his "redshirt" season.  Why oh why oh why didn't CJL put him in against L'ville ??  He couldn't have been any worse than 3 for 20!!

I can promise you one thing, it was CJL that changed the offense.  He might have had some ideas, and provided input but the changes were made by the offensive staff.  CJL knows he's not an offensive mind, and doesn't try to pretend that he is.  He lets the coaches coach, and I think Franks, and Dawsey helped along the way.

Hobbie deserved some props, in the Army and USM games if we executed properly we win those games, there is no debate there, you can't beat USM by surrendering 4 INT's, and giving up big plays, ditto for Army.  Against UL, and USC well we just aren't ready personnel wise to beat those teams this year, I think Dan Hawkins would have had trouble devising offenses that would have put more than 10pts on the board when we played USC and UL.

The offense has changed and adapted.  You must give credit to the offensive staff even if it pains some of you to say it.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

To those who complain that the offensive scheme wasn't addressed pre-season, I have four words:

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER.

I applaud the offensive staff for realizing that what they were doing wasn't working, and making changes to address it.

Even if USF doesn't win any more games this year, it is VERY encouraging to see that we have a coaching staff that is willing to adjust. Malleability is a huge asset. This year it might make the difference between 3-8 and 5-6. Some year in the future, it might make the difference between 7-4 and 9-2.

Gary, you are right.  But if USF doesn't win 2 of 3 and go bowling, it will be because the coaches didn't adjust fast enough.  They had the correct scheme early in the year against TCU and seemed to forget about it for several weeks.

But I am glad to see them pounding the run now, using play action, and throwing deep.  I love it!

• Topic Count:  141
  • Content Count:  2,661

Agreed. It is to be hoped that the offensive staff will continue to adjust as needed for our upcoming games. So far so good, but there's still a lot of season left.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I still don't like the spread.  They tried to run out of it a couple of times Saturday night.

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

IMO the offense play calling was schitzophrenic Sat.  Some plays were great calls but some call were out right ugly dogs.  I never understand.  Let me repeat it.  I NEVER UNDERSTAND why OC'S call options to the short side of the field.   Now, remember I'm a NE 'Husker fan and this complaint goes all the way includes Tom Osbourn & Frank Soliche.  I've seen it successful only 5-10% of the time.  The Bulls did it 2-3 times w/zero success.

Another thing is on the first play of the game the Bulls hand off to Andre.  Let's see.  Andre gained 275 yards against UAB last week.  Ya think the DC would of prepared for Andre primarily.  How about some creativity on the first play?  How about a play action to Andre with a post or go route for JP or a half back pass?  How many times have opponent Os run the double pass to the QB for a score or large gain vs our Bulls?  I want more C-R-E-A-T-I-V-I-T-Y.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

When our offense steps up against an actual defense I'll be satisfied.  We've performed well offensively on TCU, Army, ECU - some of the worst defenses in the nation. Play well against Cincy and they'll get my respect.

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Gary, you are right.  But if USF doesn't win 2 of 3 and go bowling, it will be because the coaches didn't adjust fast enough.  They had the correct scheme early in the year against TCU and seemed to forget about it for several weeks.

But I am glad to see them pounding the run now, using play action, and throwing deep.  I love it!

I don't agree.  The team should have beaten USM, and Army.  We sacrificed 4 INT's, and 12 penalties to USM, basically giving them the game.

Against Army we scored 35pts, but our defense forgot to hit the field in the second half, coupled with the crucial mistakes at pivotal moments by QB, we gave that game away.

UL, they could have adjusted until their eyes turned blue, but we wouldn't haven beaten UL, don't have the personnel or experience to do it yet.

It' ridiculous to assume, or to propose that Hobbie and staff had some awakening before UAB.  The fact is they've been adjusting since TCU, however you can't install an entirely new offense overnight, and against USM, and Army we coulda, and shoudla won....that was execution and bad plays by personnel on the field not on the sidelines.