• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Leavitt was wrong before about kickers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

it was not until the third game of last season before Jim Leavitt and Company decided to switch kickers. Maybe Leavitt will do the same this year.

Just a little tidbit about Alvarado 40 yards and beyond. For 40-49 he is only a 41% kicker from 50 yards and beyond 50% going 1 for 2.

Year  40-49  50+

2006  1/1    1/2

2007  6/11  0/0

2008  0/3    0/0

2009  0/2    0/0

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Having two NFL caliber kickers back to back I think has spoiled USF fans.

Remember, this is college football.  FSU has had kicking problems over the years.  Wasn't Urban Meyer going for 2 after every TD a few years back cause he didn't have anyone who could make an extra point?  It just isn't easy to predict how players will perform.

no, missing field goals has frustrated fans. i was not here when we had the NFL caliber kickers you speak of. i have had nothing to "spoil" me. i simply expect field goals. sure some are missed occassionally, but alvarado misses often not occassionally.

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

FGs ... 27/46 ... 58.70%

EPs ... 86/88 ... 97.73%

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Remember, this is college football.  FSU has had kicking problems over the years.  Wasn't Urban Meyer going for 2 after every TD a few years back cause he didn't have anyone who could make an extra point?  It just isn't easy to predict how players will perform.

It is easy to watch high school tape of a kicker knocking down field goals and offer them a scholarship. I am not spoiled by having NFL kickers because I wasn't here. Alvarado sucks, he is not a field goal kicker he is a punter. Don't make excuses for our FG kicking... The coaches ignored the position for too long.

Our kicking game is worse than the local high school teams.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

another position we didnt recruit for.you should always have 2 guys on squad that can make field goals

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  4,741
  • Days Won:  3

Not to defend Alvarado. But, kicking is not as easy as it looks. I kicked in HS. I didn't ever kick in college, but it has to be a lot more difficult. The players are faster, stronger, bigger, and the speed of the game is faster. Don't forget that Nugent had a kicked blocked and missed one out right today for the Bucs. FG's are not automatic. An extra point was missed in Atlanta.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Kickers/Punters on scholarship today- Alvarado, Brockhaus-Kann and Bonani.  How many kickers/punters should we have on scholarship? We have also had a couple walk-ons every season hanging out for kicking purposes.  Since the Bonani injury they have had walk-ons and try-outs with no one proving better yet.  Had Bonani not fallen off a freaking ride at Busch Gardens we would not even be having this discussion, and I don't know how a staff plans for that to happen.

Also a scholarship has already been offered to Chris Veron to handle kicking duties so we will have 3 again next season.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

It is easy to watch high school tape of a kicker knocking down field goals and offer them a scholarship. I am not spoiled by having NFL kickers because I wasn't here. Alvarado *****, he is not a field goal kicker he is a punter. Don't make excuses for our FG kicking... The coaches ignored the position for too long.

Our kicking game is worse than the local high school teams.

Just seems major BCS contenders (UF, USC, FSU in 90's) have kicking trouble as well.  I have never kicked field goals, never tried to recruit a kicker, but just based on the results of some of the most successful college coaches I have to think it is pretty tough.  Add to that the fact that our kicker got hurt this season, it seems overly harsh to jump on our coaching staff so hard.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Im not mad with the coaching staff, they had a good kicker got injured in a freak accident and they have tried to get somebody to beat

Alvarado but nobody has which really amazes me.

Unless its like a 30 yard field goal or less and in the middle of the field I say just go for it on fourth down.

Archived