• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tired of it....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

The problem arises when you have that casual or potential USF fan reading Brett's constantly negative stories and getting a bad picture of the school and program.  Makes bringing those casual fans into the stadiums and arenas that much more difficult.

negative stories are always out there for all programs.  think about FSU....when do we, as people who do not follow thier program on daily basis, hear about them?  when someone gets arrested or cheats on a test.

same thing with UF...we heard about 4 or 5 guys on their program getting arrested this summer.

those are the kind of stories that are written about all college programs. 

not here to argue if that is right or wrong but brett isn't doing much different then other major program beat writers (the making up false numbers is a problem)

but we notice it more and blame brett more because this is 'OUR' program.  it really doesn't have as much effect on the outside fans as you might think.

IMO

I agree, but Brett seems to go out of his way to write negatively about USF.  I'm not looking for someone that's going to blow smoke up our asses constantly (see Rich Herrera of Rays' radio fame).  But I also don't want to see someone purposely slanting things negatively, when simply reporting the facts of an issue would suffice.  I think Greg balances the good with the bad nicely, erring smartly on the side of not biting the hand that feeds him. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

i dont really care if greg proof read the media guide but like ive said...

i question his ability to write the tough story if/when it comes up.

Matt, I mean this in the kindest way possible but you are totally full of ****. Name one LEGITIMATE tough story that Greg hasn't written about?

Brett, through public records request to Matt Grothe's high school, reported that MG once slapped his brother in the hallway at school. This shows that MG is a loose cannon, and cannot be trusted around his family. Greg did not report on this horrifying incident.

Seriously though, Greg has reported on everything that I know of. I think he broke the Moffitt story. Some times he is a bit later with the negative stuff because he actually tries to do a little research before  writing a story, specifically a negative piece.

There are ways to write a story about a negative event without having a negative slant on the story. In my mind, that is how Greg approaches those stories, while Brett just dives right in.

In any event, the most recent blog post that has everyone up in arms, was not at all news worthy. Giddens is brand new to the program, so it does not show anything about the coaching staff or team leaders as he hasn't been there long enough. The only possible outcome of that piece was to embarrass the kid, his family, and the program. As others have said, if he had at least left the name out, it wouldn't have been so bad.

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

good grief, another thread wasted on brett?  I don't care who the blameguy is....although it spells of a tribune guy throwing up a fake id so the whole sports dept can get a good chuckle at us all.

Give it a rest.  We all know about brett, the athletic department knows about him...it's always a battle and struggle but **** don't be so gullible to let an anonymous poster, who registered today, and who's first thread was to defend brett.....DUH ::)

Now can we stop giving him the time and energy he desires.  If i have to read one more post about why they read the times over trib.....

• Content Count:  1,390

However, name one other BEAT WRITER that edited the team's guide... pro or college. 

How many people can actually name more than 1 beat writer that isn't associated with USF/Tampa sports? How do we know other places around the country don't do this same thing?

• Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Give it a rest.  We all know about brett, the athletic department knows about him...it's always a battle and struggle but **** don't be so gullible to let an anonymous poster, who registered today, and who's first thread was to defend brett.....DUH ::)

Hold on....you think they set us up?  ;D

• Content Count:  12,293

good grief, another thread wasted on brett?  I don't care who the blameguy is....although it spells of a tribune guy throwing up a fake id so the whole sports dept can get a good chuckle at us all.

Now can we stop giving him the time and energy he desires.  If i have to read one more post about why they read the times over trib.....

agree.  can we talk about football again?  first game is about 3 weeks away!!!

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

there is room for another smazza

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

I don't think so, only a few select people are raised by Monkeys and Apes.

Answer NO more so called fans with negative attitudes and comments.

• Content Count:  2,569
  • Days Won:  1

I don't think so, only a few select people are raised by Monkeys and Apes.

Answer NO more so called fans with negative attitudes and comments.

I thought it was "Monekys and Apes" or something like that.

• Content Count:  7

Wow.  Didn't mean to start such a mess.  I love USF, Greg and Brett.  They make a great balance.  Imagine if we didn't have Brett to give us the other side.  If he is so bad, then no one would read his stuff.  You ALL do.  So do I...

Archived