• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Tired of it....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7
  • Days Won:  0

Fellow Bulls Fans....

Since graduating with my MBA in '06 I have devoted my fan loyalty from the Gators, my undergrad, to our Bulls.  I use this site as a means of info.  However, I have to admit that the bias here is unbelievable and now I must speak up.

Our program has received TONS of exposure and notoriety.  Here in Houston I see the "U" all the time.  But the constant beating of McMurphy vs. Auman is crazy.  Both are to the extreme in their own regard.  Brett is crazy negative and Auman is crazy positive.  We need to make our own decisions by reading both.  However, if I am not mistaken, Auman was an editor with the official USF football media guide/program. 

That shows a stupid amount of how he is ONLY on the side of the Bulls and not impartial.  That is absolutely NOT unbiased journalism.  We might as well be reading Leavitt speak himself through the papers.

I am not the biggest fan of McMurphy at all.  I think he hurts the perception of the program often.  But you have to give him credit for staying true to journalism. 

Call me smazza2 if you wish, but I am just being honest. 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

Call me smazza2 if you wish

Or, McMurphy2!

jay kay...

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

No, you're not being honest at all.  Negative stories run by Greg?  Jackie Chambers/Josh Julmiste being suspended and then kicked off the team; Brian Fisher's variety of legal problems; Johnny Peyton going being dismissed and eventually ending up in jail, Carlton Hill's goings and comings, Stirrups's legal problems, etc.  And more recently the 12% decline in season ticket sales, the Joyer and Thornton issues with the academic committee.  Greg writes lots of negative stories.  However, Greg also works on getting the news on the team he is asisgned to cover: Greg goes to practices; Greg keeps track of walk-ons; Greg tracks USF recruiting; Hell Greg ran a 2 hour chat yesterday to answer all sorts of USF questions.  

Also, as much as some fans want to go on about how our fans need to "grow up" or that such scrutiny "is what all bigtime programs go through," the beat writers of such programs better get used to some criticism coming their way too.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

YOU CAN'T FOOL ME BRETT!!!!!!!  >:(

Wow.  Conspiracy theorists!  SANJAY... you make some very valid points.  Just saying that us here on this site need to be more realistic and less biased.  Greg is great and Brett is not bad himself.  But I do remember an out roar when Greg reported on our guy Moffitt.  No one here likes bad news and that's OK.  Neither do I.  But I feel that we have been unrealistic. 

Greg editing ANYTHING official USF is wrong.  He needs to be more objective.  Brett needs to be WAY less negative.  But as fans we need to read both and not only want to see the GOOD stuff. 

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Wow.  Conspiracy theorists!  SANJAY... you make some very valid points.  Just saying that us here on this site need to be more realistic and less biased.  Greg is great and Brett is not bad himself.  But I do remember an out roar when Greg reported on our guy Moffitt.  No one here likes bad news and that's OK.  Neither do I.  But I feel that we have been unrealistic. 

Greg editing ANYTHING official USF is wrong.  He needs to be more objective.  Brett needs to be WAY less negative.  But as fans we need to read both and not only want to see the GOOD stuff. 

Greg for purposes of full disclosure mentioned his limited non-paid involvement proofreading some pages of the 2008 USF Media Guide. I don't think it was a big deal and neither did his editors:

-- Just a full disclosure thing: If you have USF's 2008 football media guide, you'll see I'm credited as one of 11 copy editors. I want to make it clear I wasn't compensated in any way for proofing pages for the guide. Just wanted to help -- if I can catch a few things in July, it's less likely that I or anyone else will pass along something incorrect from the guide to the blog or the paper during the season. I don't have a problem with that from an ethics standpoint, nor do my editors. I welcome your e-mails at auman@sptimes.com ...

Posted by Greg Auman at 5:18:33 PM on August 4, 2008

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2008/08/first-practice.html

Well, this is turning into a way bigger deal then I intended.  I like Greg.  I met him at the Sun Bowl.  However, name one other BEAT WRITER that edited the team's guide... pro or college.  It just doesn't make sense.  You have to respect Brett's point of view.  The money has nothing to do with it.  Journalism ethics do!!!  Brett is a bitter guy.  We all can agree.  Just make sure you read both and make your own decision. 

My whole point isn't about Brett or Greg.  It's about being honest with where the team is.  Be it negative or positive.  All of us here only seem to like the positive. 

• Content Count:  339

The problem is that Brett writes a USF blog for USF fans.  Not only does he never miss an opportunity to bash the program when something bad happens, but he also takes non-issues or neutral issues and finds a way to try to make the program look bad.  That kind of reporting is fine if he's a UCF reporter in Orlando, but really unacceptable given that it's a site for Bulls fans in tampa.  he doesn't have to be a cheerleader, but honestly, he should be reporting information that's interesting and useful to the people that follow his blog (aka USF student/fans/alumni).  usually it's not "what" he reports but "how" he reports it that gets everybody so upset.

he clearly has an agenda and its unfortunate because there aren't that many sources to get info about the bulls.  I just wish everybody would stop reading useless articles/blogs and he will eventually go away.

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

I just want to see a wrassling match between the two to settle the air. I'm more partial to Brett and believe he would put the smack down on Greg in the ring. I do find myself reading Greg's blog more often (although because he is a Gator, I click on the McMurphy link first always - being true to USF that way). Either way, in 23 days, all that matters are 12 straight wins!

• Content Count:  3,403

I just want to see a wrassling match between the two to settle the air. I'm more partial to Brett and believe he would put the smack down on Greg in the ring. I do find myself reading Greg's blog more often (although because he is a Gator, I click on the McMurphy link first always - being true to USF that way). Either way, in 23 days, all that matters are 12 straight wins!

yeah, I bet you read Greg's more often because there's a lot more interesting stuff to read there.  What difference does it make that Greg went to UF?  Brett didn't go to USF and he hates the coach.

Archived