• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gerard Atkins didn't make it in

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  342

GA starts off with

"For the second time this fall, USF could see a signed football recruit end up playing for Big East rival Louisville"

• Content Count:  1,261

I'm f-ing tired of this committee.  That is at least 2 guys we wanted that we know have to play against because some jackazz thinks we are the Harvard of the South.

Rutgers is taking a kid that didn't get into Penn State, UL has taken 1 of our and looking for a 2nd, So Miss took a few......these schools know how important winning is and giving a kid a chance to get an education.....USF instead wants to look like they are some sort of academic elitist.

This shizit will haunt us bad in recruiting.

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

They need to get a grip, it is USF for crying out loud.  A STATE School, be real let the kid in so he can play.

• Content Count:  4,016

where are all the 'good riddance' guys that were chiding me yesterday. ::)  BTW, for you all that like to keep count there still could be another one added to this group and it is not JPP.

I told you all, but you wanted to throw the green and gold glasses at me, that this is not a good situation for USF on so many levels.  It could end up harming the program if they don't get this academic review process in check.  Atkins will play somewhere, and he is a tremendous athlete.  And please, no more of the guys telling me...well this kid couldn't make it at USF anyway'....that BS, and people that have no idea about how the football program is run.  IF a player WANTS to make it through school, he will, regardless of his HS academic achievements.  The players are afforded all the opportunity and advantages normal students are not-- like tutors, study halls, special class scheduling....you've got to TRY to flunk out of school as an athlete.  Buie was a Prop 48 and he graduated with some graduate courses under his belt.

The point is this is not about finding a player that can get through USF.  USF is a state school, with marginally difficult academics.  Most literate individuals that apply themselves can easily get a basic degree from a school like USF.  This is about the academic side, which is getting absolutely tore up budget wise, getting a chance to oversee a portion of USF athletics-- a group who's budgetary constraints are not nearly as severe.  If you need to have the academic side looking over the coaches then that means you need new coaches.  Plain and simple.

I wonder if USF is going to call Pinellas County to ask about Atkin's grades. ::)

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

where are all the 'good riddance' guys that were chiding me yesterday. ::)  BTW, for you all that like to keep count there still could be another one added to this group and it is not JPP.

I told you all, but you wanted to throw the green and gold glasses at me, that this is not a good situation for USF on so many levels.  It could end up harming the program if they don't get this academic review process in check.  Atkins will play somewhere, and he is a tremendous athlete.   And please, no more of the guys telling me...well this kid couldn't make it at USF anyway'....that BS, and people that have no idea about how the football program is run.  IF a player WANTS to make it through school, he will, regardless of his HS academic achievements.  The players are afforded all the opportunity and advantages normal students are not-- like tutors, study halls, special class scheduling....you've got to TRY to flunk out of school as an athlete.  Buie was a Prop 48 and he graduated with some graduate courses under his belt.

The point is this is not about finding a player that can get through USF.  USF is a state school, with marginally difficult academics.  Most literate individuals that apply themselves can easily get a basic degree from a school like USF.  This is about the academic side, which is getting absolutely tore up budget wise, getting a chance to oversee a portion of USF athletics-- a group who's budgetary constraints are not nearly as severe.  If you need to have the academic side looking over the coaches then that means you need new coaches.  Plain and simple.

I wonder if USF is going to call Pinellas County to ask about Atkin's grades. ::)

Just so you know, Pasco County is trying to cover up the debacle that occurred when Kamran Joyer had grades changed so that he could qualify for college. The Principal has been "involuntarily relocated" to Ridgewood High School.

Atkins was a good athlete, but I am certain that we can use his scholarship better in the next recruiting class, where we have an extremely limited number of schollies to go around. TE is not a position that is featured in anyway in a true spread offense, so losing a TE recruit is not that big of a deal to me.

• Content Count:  5,241

We weren't expecting Atkins this fall anways, a lot like Adaris Bellamy who is goin juco.

If he goes to louisville, more reason for us to stomp a hole in their chest come November.

Did Battles make it on campus?

Just so you know, Pasco County is trying to cover up the debacle that occurred when Kamran Joyer had grades changed so that he could qualify for college. The Principal has been "involuntarily relocated" to Ridgewood High School.

Atkins was a good athlete, but I am certain that we can use his scholarship better in the next recruiting class, where we have an extremely limited number of schollies to go around. TE is not a position that is featured in anyway in a true spread offense, so losing a TE recruit is not that big of a deal to me.

They are not covering it up chief...show me that.  They reported it to USF, and it was determined to be unfounded for the most part as the NCAA found out also.  I am close to the situation and there is no 'cover up'.  Quite the contrary they're mad at USF because after reviewing 'the process' USF wanted them to clarify....despite having other kids that had grade changes and made it into USF, they still didn't find anything wrong with Joyer's transcript other than one grade needed to be changed back, FROM A B TO A C NO LESS.

Also, I have never seen it stated that Andy was removed.  He was reassigned, and as I hear it was quite voluntary.  The School Board stood by him, and nothing was found.  He is staying in the county and just a principal at another big school....whoaaa that's some real discipline.

This board gets ridiculous at times.  I am a diehard bull but there are just extreme factions that exist here.  You either totally are negative, or you're totally positive.  I am a positive Bull, but explaining that this circumstance is not good, and this is more than cursory knowledge.  Why does each kid have to be villified instead of just talking about USF improving the system?

I'm f-ing tired of this committee.  That is at least 2 guys we wanted that we know have to play against because some jackazz thinks we are the Harvard of the South.

Rutgers is taking a kid that didn't get into Penn State, UL has taken 1 of our and looking for a 2nd, So Miss took a few......these schools know how important winning is and giving a kid a chance to get an education.....USF instead wants to look like they are some sort of academic elitist.

This shizit will haunt us bad in recruiting.

As some say it already is haunting us.  Funny thing is no one cares about the HS transcripts of athletes.  Most presume they're borderline and all get exceptions anyway.  There is absolutely no methodology about what level a student-athlete needs to be to survive at a school-- especially at a school where one can obtain a Physical Ed Degree!  To not allow kids that are accepted by the NCAA, kids we took just 2 years earlier, because of a reaction to an APR, or academic situation with the football and basketball teams is over-compensating.  You deal with it at the executive level, you don't add layers and handcuff a coach on recruiting.  If he can't keep guys in order, and bring balance to a team then maybe he isn't the right coach to jive with the administration.  Remember this, some schools have done this very thing to get rid of some coaches....after a while they force someone out and don't realize what they lost until they're gone.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

They are not covering it up chief...show me that.   They reported it to USF, and it was determined to be unfounded for the most part as the NCAA found out also.   I am close to the situation and there is no 'cover up'.  Quite the contrary they're mad at USF because after reviewing 'the process' USF wanted them to clarify....despite having other kids that had grade changes and made it into USF, they still didn't find anything wrong with Joyer's transcript other than one grade needed to be changed back, FROM A B TO A C NO LESS.

Also, I have never seen it stated that Andy was removed.  He was reassigned, and as I hear it was quite voluntary.  The School Board stood by him, and nothing was found.  He is staying in the county and just a principal at another big school....whoaaa that's some real discipline.

This board gets ridiculous at times.  I am a diehard bull but there are just extreme factions that exist here.  You either totally are negative, or you're totally positive.  I am a positive Bull, but explaining that this circumstance is not good, and this is more than cursory knowledge.  Why does each kid have to be villified instead of just talking about USF improving the system?

No one is villifying anyone, at least I am not. I am stating a fact: he was involuntarily transferred to Ridgewood High School on the heels of the Joyer investigation. Period. He did not want to leave Wesley Chapel and communte an hour each day to Ridgewood, no one in their right mind in Pasco would. Pasco protects its own, this isn't the first case in which an administrator or principal has been transferred due to questionable practices. 5 grade changes in a marginal student who is an exceptional athlete attempting to get into a D-I college, whose mother is also a school administrator in the county. You are absolutely right, no impropriety there. Where were all the other grade changes for all of the other students at Wesley Chapel? Exactly.

Archived