• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First Lindsey, now Sam

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Leavitt says freshman Sam Barrington might be the fastest linebacker in program history. He ran an electronic 4.53

-twitter.com/usffootball

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

WOW!!!

That's great.

I wonder what his coverage skills will be like after this fall practice. (with that speed he could be great on the weak side)

When it's his time he could be a serious difference maker on D

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

Scratch the previous Tweet: Leavitt says juco LB Jacquain Williams might be the fastest LB in program history. He ran an electronic 4.53.

-twitter.com/usffootball

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Kawika had times that low if I recall correctly when we ran the 40 because I was shocked when he was faster than 75% of the receivers that were clocked. Leavitt must be getting old.  ;D

• Content Count:  4,016

Kawika had times that low if I recall correctly when we ran the 40 because I was shocked when he was faster than 75% of the receivers that were clocked. Leavitt must be getting old.   ;D

yeah but this is Sam as a true frosh, fresh green off the bus.  Give him a year or two of college conditioning and training and things could get sicker.

BTW, just because he's fast doesn't mean he'll be great at weakside.  Coverage is more than straight ahead speed, he could end up being a great strong-side who could occasionally be money off the edge rushing the QB.  With that type of speed you want him on the field non-stop, not hiding him at weakside and subbing out when we're in nickel.

• Content Count:  342

Kawika had times that low if I recall correctly when we ran the 40 because I was shocked when he was faster than 75% of the receivers that were clocked. Leavitt must be getting old.   ;D

yeah but this is Sam as a true frosh, fresh green off the bus.  Give him a year or two of college conditioning and training and things could get sicker.

BTW, just because he's fast doesn't mean he'll be great at weakside.  Coverage is more than straight ahead speed, he could end up being a great strong-side who could occasionally be money off the edge rushing the QB.  With that type of speed you want him on the field non-stop, not hiding him at weakside and subbing out when we're in nickel.

I know that is why I was alluding to after the coaches were to work with him this fall (but speed can be a big factor at that position).  But it doesn't matter b/c as noted above the comment isn't about Sam but Williams

that makes sense, in HS at Riverview he once ran a sub 4.5 at 205lbs.  He was an anchor on the track team when he was eligible.  Jaquian can absolutely fly, and his speed is more than just an ability to run a 40, it translates well onto the field too.  I told people about this when we were recruiting him.  As a pure athlete Jacquian could be one of the best on the team--- and you are right he's already at weak, because of his limited time to play.  Jacquian could probably lose 15lbs and be a great safety if he wanted (of course he'd need to starve himself).

This time doesn't shock me, saying Sam ran that fast blew me away.  He was fast, and played RB in HS, but he never seemed that fast-- because that is insanely fast for a 220lbs 18 year-old true freshman!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

4.5 is some nice serious speed. Any of the track guys bust a 4.2 or 4.3?  That is difference maker speed.

4.5 is some nice serious speed. Any of the track guys bust a 4.2 or 4.3?  That is difference maker speed.

...those 'track guys' all weigh about a buck 65 soak and wet.  Their speed is amazing but a guy that is currently 6-3 220lbs+ running a 4.53 is sick, difference making too.  That is difference making speed in another context.  Having our 5-8 165lbs RB capable of running away from defenders is good..but having a 6-3 220lbs LB capable of running the oppositions RB down from behind also sends a message.

Both are difference making speed just different versions.

Archived