• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First Lindsey, now Sam

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

can they tackle

can they defend

can they shed blocks

Every so often smazza provides a cogent post.  This is right, all these freshmen running around looking great in helmets.  Wait until the pads come on, and they get into 7 on 7's, and 11 on 11's...then they separate the men from the boys.  Then the 220lbs Williams, and 215lbs Barrington look mortal, and there is a reason why teams place reliability above all other things.  A freshman needs to be so much better than the next guy if he's going to start because a team will lose a little bit of reliability, and knowledge with a freshman.  Rarely do you see that though.  Williams more than Barrington will be ready to see minutes immediately.  Barrington will more than likely fade a bit when they get deeper into fall practice.  Then you separate the men from the boys.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Remember a WVU recent freshman who was and probably still is a light weight named Devine? Whether I was watch WVU vs us or anyone else, every time he touched the ball I held my breath. Why? Because if you did not get a hand on him early (within first 3 yards), you would not get a hand on him. That is what I think this Lindsey could be for us. A change of pace hold your breath kind of guy.

I remember that kid DELdaBull...and what's funnier is that season Ford had more carries, more yards, and more TD's than Devine!!!  Go figure.  Devine had 73 carries, for 627 yards and 6 TD's.  Ford had 128 carries on 657 yards and a 4.75ypc average and 12 TD's...

Given those numbers Devine was third best back just ahead of Schmidt, and Jarrett Brown.  HOWEVER, again he did not have as deep a backfield to contend with as Lamar has at USF with Ford, Taylor, Plancher and Samuels.  Also  Lamar is plenty talented but he is not the freak that Devine was who averaged 8.6ypc his freshman year.  Not to mention USF already has Aston Samuels who is nearly as fast as Lamar, and the staff freely admits they need to find ways to get him the ball.  Aston has now bulked up to nearly 190lbs....Lamar is 5-8, and MAYBE 160lbs.  Devine was 5-8 180lbs when he arrived on campus at WVU.

The staff has to be careful with Lamar he's still small and fragile.  You've got all these big, talented, and experienced backs ahead of him so there is no reason to use him in much more than situational set-ups.

Quite frankly I would be thoroughly pleased if our staff just made him a returner, and brought him in for 3-4 special plays a game.  Keep it simple and let that athleticism shine out, don't get him killed wih that tiny body until he's had a chance to get bigger and stronger.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

You obviously did not understand my point. We should use him much like Devine was used as a frosh. Slaton was the main ball carrier (Ford?) and Noel was used about 5 or 6 times a game to shock the D of the opponent (Lamar). What we need to do is sign a bruising back in this recruiting class that can do the heavy lifting for when Taylor and Mike depart.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

You obviously did not understand my point. We should use him much like Devine was used as a frosh. Slaton was the main ball carrier (Ford?) and Noel was used about 5 or 6 times a game to shock the D of the opponent (Lamar). What we need to do is sign a bruising back in this recruiting class that can do the heavy lifting for when Taylor and Mike depart.

We already have  a verbal from a bruising back in Tiger Powell.

One thing about Devine is that he came to WVU already very strong. In HS, he was known for his exploits in the weightroom. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

can never have too much speed.  im excited to see the new guys play.

lets hope that leavitt doesnt play favorites with more established guys and he puts the best players out there on the field

leavitt always plays favorites and will play veterans

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

We already have  a verbal from a bruising back in Tiger Powell.

One thing about Devine is that he came to WVU already very strong. In HS, he was known for his exploits in the weightroom. 

Yeah Devine is extremely gifted athletically and has always been strong despite is diminutive stature.

And you mine.  Devine arrived on campus about 20lbs+ heavier than Lamar.  Also, as a bona fide superstar RB.  Lamar Lindsey is a very good speedster, but we have those.

Devine arrived on campus at WVU in a shallow backfield, and was able to plow through the depth chart rather quickly.  Lamar needs to out contend Aston Samuels, Taylor, and Plancher for playing time, and touches.  Devine missed 4 games that season so he averaged far more touches a game, and he also played slot too and had something like 29 catches for over 100 yards.  Devine returned kicks too.

Lamar will be lucky to get what Devine got as a freshman.  Lamar isn't as immediately skilled as Devine, and he's much smaller.  To preserve Lamar the better way to get his speed on the field is returning, and then drop him in a couple plays a game. 

Archived