• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion............ACC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

This was already mentioned in the thread below

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=61658.40

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Hey Knightlight

Robbins also said the Big East would no longer consider a Conference USA team, such as Memphis or UCF, or even Army or Navy because of the league’s success in the BCS bowl games and overall strength.

Sweet, bring on Maryland and Boston College

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Thank god, no terrible C-USA teams would be brought in.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

While the possibility is certainly exciting, I just don't think it will come to fruition. Neither Maryland nor BC would benefit financially from leaving the ACflea. Cash drives everything. 

• Content Count:  1,013

Very little chance of this happening! Especially BC

• Content Count:  1,757

While the possibility is certainly exciting, I just don't think it will come to fruition. Neither Maryland nor BC would benefit financially from leaving the ACflea. Cash drives everything

How much more does the ACC pay out on average to it's members each year?  How much more does Maryland and BC spend in travel costs (not just football, but including all sports) then they would in the Big East?  I think it would be very interesting to see the numbers here... that would tell the tale for sure.  I would imagine jumping ship to the ACC has cost BC more than it has paid off. 

• Content Count:  4,016

While the possibility is certainly exciting, I just don't think it will come to fruition. Neither Maryland nor BC would benefit financially from leaving the ACflea. Cash drives everything. 

I've been suggesting this for a while.  The ACC is not as financially strong as some suggest, they pay out based on bowls, instead of the BE everyone is equal routine.  That sounds fine if you're a BCS team, but when your BC and you get shipped to Boise after winning 9 games in a season, or the Tulip Bowl in bump f nowhere, and a worse FSU team who you beat goes to the Blockbuster bowl in Miami--- well that starts to burn you.  First for all the money they're getting from conference splits, they're losing on travel, and bowl losses.  Also, their fans have a tougher time if they're not associated with olympic sports with teams in their backyard like Providence, Uconn, Pitt, Syracuse, etc.  BC has been treated so much like the redheated step child, and with the BE's new hoops tv agreement, it brings a lot more dollars to the table for a team like BC.  I am betting locally they would have more luck with their olympic sports if they could compete against teams and state adjacent to them.

Maryland is another one that has been treated poorly.  With Gtown down the block, RU too...they might decide to come and be the big fish in the smaller pond.  They've played RU, WVU,and Vtech for so long they must feel like a step brother to the BE anyway.  Their hoops has been treated poorly too, and this conference has become Tobacco Road and South league, with Vtech getting some extra play only because theyre so dominant in football they can't be ignored.  But look at TV schedules, bowl assignments, NCAA Tourney seedings...it's the NCST, UNC, DUKE, Vtech, Clemson, FSU, Miami, Wake Forest, and Gtech WORLD.  To me UVA, Maryland, and BC are treated like stepchildren....more so Maryland, and BC.

I think it's a brilliant move by the BE.  It's a longshot, but a good time to start pushing and go on the offensive instead of being on the defense.  If any teams may get frustrated and jump it would be these two. 

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Bullpride not happening. The ACC football TV contract is more than double the Big Easts...While the basketball also edges it.

TV money is too good for any of the other 5 leagues to ever switch up.

Guest hm101

wait a second, you mean these schools wont come into the big easy... i mean the big east... snag a conference title every year cause its a peice of cake, and make a BCS bowl game? but i thought we were the weakest conference? dont they want an easy road to a bowl game? i thought these other programs dominate the big east! WTF!

/sarcasm

Archived