• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumors heat up....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

that Carl Crawford is being shopped.  I know matt said he isn't going anywhere, but he's eligible for arbitration this year and it would cost the Rays $10M+/year to keep the guy by most estimations- some say he's worth as much as $15M+ and has worked his way into the elite level (which I agree).  No way they can afford to double his salary, nor can they afford to let him go for nothing.

With Perez, Joyce, and Jennings waiting in the wings for room, and BJ two years away from arbitration/salary renegotiation there is a good bet Carl is gone, not to mention Gabe Gross has suddenly looked like an intelligent pick-up this year.  As a Rays fan, I hate it but with all the young talent in the wings it's a smart move, grab a young closer, and catcher.  This is especially likely if by the middle of July it appears the Rays will need a good jolt to get back into the pennant race, or perhaps set-up for one in 2010.

I love Carl, my favorite Ray ever, and possibly forever (he got this thing started), but I think it's clear that unless Carl wants to play for pennies of what he's worth on the open market then he's probably gone sooner rather than later.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

curious to where you have heard these 'rumors'

i talk with a guy in the know pretty regularly and about a week ago we were talking about any possible moves the rays might make and he said nothing about c.c.

its a week before all-star break and the rays are 4.5 games out of the wild card; 5.5 out of the division.  they aren't going to trade their all-star OF for young guys. 

from what ive heard is that they would rather run the risk of not being able to resign him and offer arbitration.  i think that the rays would fare pretty well in that case...especially with the economy.  there will not be many moves at the deadline (just some of the minor ones that you are seeing now) and the free agent market in the offseason will be very bland.

so it will be a decent offer thru arbitiration.  if CC doesnt accept it he is clearly a type a so the rays get 2 draft picks and dont lose any face with a fragile fanbase.

im just curious where you get these rumors from.  this isnt the first time youve came on here with the 'crawford is gonna be traded rumor'

this time are you just grasping at straws in hopes of some how being right and deemed a prophet??

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

I've heard the Rays have put feelers out on Crawford, Upton, and Kazmir.

Should be an interesting trade deadline.

there is a huge difference between putting 'feelers' out there and 'being shopped'

obviously we wont be able to keep this team together for ever but C.C. is extremely valuable to this club.  what he does defensively, at the plate, and on the bases (even when he isnt stealing he gets the hitters behind him some great fastballs to hit)

i'm sure rays front office can find another 5 million to keep him.  what they need to do is trade pat burrell back to the NL.  what a waste of money he has proven to be as a DH.

we could of kept gomes and got better production for 75% less

matt, admittedly I have no inside contacts.  What I heard was on a national radio show, and some television buzz.  Probably the better terminology is what joe said and that they were putting 'feelers' out there for him, and they said Kaz too, and it's hit the media mill now. 

Also, it could cost a lot more than a 'five more million' to keep CC, because CC is making around $5M right now, and he's now getting talk as being one of the games top 20 players.  That means a salary north of $12M/year.  Pat has two years guaranteed money and unfortunately if he doesn't get going soon then they won't be trading him (can't get anything for him) and be forced to eat his salary by keeping him or releasing him.  The point about CC is we already have conceivable replacements for him, Perez, Joyce, Jennings, Eldridge...not to mention possibly Beckham.  The minors and IR are FILLED with speedy outfielders that can hit for average, and run.  I am not saying no one is a replacement for CC, but they can come close enough. 

I think they would be insane to allow CC to go to arbitration.  We can't over simplify the limitations of this ballclub, they really can't grow their salary by to much more than it is today, or rather they're pretty adament they won't-- so more than a few will need to go eventually.  As it stands, with the recent product and field play of CC, and Bartlett, both who could be up for arbitration soon...and many believe each would be demanding significantly greater salaries.  Remember the Rays have qualified replacements for CC in the outfield, but there is no one capable of doing what Bartlett has done at SS in the minors.  The Reid Brignac experiment the past month or so while Jason was on IR wasn't a rousing success.  To put simply if the team had to decide which eight figure salary to keep CC or Bartlett, then they should go with Jason who is harder to replace at this point.

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Just to add clarification to this chain,  CC is not up for arbitration at the end of this year.  The Rays have a club option on him for $10 million next year (2010), and then he will become a free agent after that season. 

Just to add clarification to this chain,  CC is not up for arbitration at the end of this year.  The Rays have a club option on him for $10 million next year (2010), and then he will become a free agent after that season.   

even more reason to keep him. 

spend 10 mil on him next year and then if we doesnt want to resign at that point we get the 2 extra draft picks with zero risk.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

spend 10 mil on him next year and then if we doesnt want to resign at that point we get the 2 extra draft picks with zero risk.

Top level Prospects (Which you would be able to get with CC)>>>>>>Draft Picks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,475
  • Days Won:  13

that is the truth and he is more valuable now or at the end of the season then he would be next year at this time when he only has half a year left on his contract. The Rays are a small market team and wont be able to afford the core that you have now once they start becoming free agents. You need to trade some of them for top quality prospects. Thats what the Fish did in 1997 and the talent they got back had them winning another World Series 5 years later.

Exactly;  It's all about what management wants to do really which is probably why they're putting feelers out to see what he could get for the program.  After all they may find what they would could still be to expensive, but they may also be able to pick up a mid-level starter o two, nd a few minor league prospects for a player of Crawford's caliber.  Maybe in a year the draft picks are more important but Kaz, Garza, Bartlett, and others are all coming up for big paydays.  They all can't stay, and if you look at that list you'd have to say right now the Rays have real replacements for Carl...they don't for the others.

Archived