• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Rumors heat up....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

here are some comments from Rays owner on this issue...again, doesn't look like CC is on the move anywhere this year.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/rays-dont-plan-in-season-payroll-cut/

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016

dont get me wrong.  it makes financial sense to move him just based on what it would take to sign him long term but i think the front office knows that carl is pretty much the face of the rays to the rest of mlb.  i think they see the value in keeping him and paying him 10 mil next year.

but if he does get traded, i will be upset. but like i said, i will understand why and i will just have my fingers crossed that jennings is ready to go.

I think it can be argued that Longoria has already over taken him as the face of the rays. 

Big time.  Longo is the guy they've got locked up for 6-7 years already, a very shrewd move by the Rays last year.  He's clearly the face of baseball for goodness sakes he was almost the leading vote getter for the AL.  He's the face of the Rays and who they banked on long-term.  If you're the Rays and think to yourself you've got to keep one all-star then Longo is the guy.  He's extremely marketable across the country, and his play is difficult to replicate at 3B.

Carl is great but you've got to look at two things...1. there are ample replacements for him being groomed in the minors, and 2. he's expensive from here on out.  there are no cheap moves when it comes to keeping Carl.  Maybe they spend the $10m for one more year of Carl, but as a small market program they can ill-afford to allow Carl's contract to run out and assume they'll be able to resign him.  They must trade him at some point when they can get full value for him on the open market, but once they're sure say a Jennings is ready to fill his role.  As I see it the vision for 2011 is probably an outfield of Jennings, Upton, and Joyce with Perez as a filler.

It makes sense the Rays won't do any 'salary dumps' this year, but that's not to say they couldn't pick up a closer that matches Carl's salary either.  Also, next year there are guys who are getting salary jumps too like Burrell, who is heating up, and I thought I read that Jason Bartlett is up for arbitration...you must keep those too, first because Burrell has a two year guaranteed salary, and Bartlett at this point is irreplaceable.  Decisions must be made over the next 12 months and they could be some hard ones like trading a guy like Crawford.

I think it can be argued that Longoria has already over taken him as the face of the rays. 

.  If you're the Rays and think to yourself you've got to keep one all-star then Longo is the guy.  He's extremely marketable across the country, and his play is difficult to replicate at 3B.

It makes sense the Rays won't do any 'salary dumps' this year, but that's not to say they couldn't pick up a closer that matches Carl's salary either.    Decisions must be made over the next 12 months and they could be some hard ones like trading a guy like Crawford.

• Content Count:  4,016

.  If you're the Rays and think to yourself you've got to keep one all-star then Longo is the guy.  He's extremely marketable across the country, and his play is difficult to replicate at 3B.

It makes sense the Rays won't do any 'salary dumps' this year, but that's not to say they couldn't pick up a closer that matches Carl's salary either.    Decisions must be made over the next 12 months and they could be some hard ones like trading a guy like Crawford.

ok so now s. bien you are saying that the rays wont trade him this year but sometime in the next 12 months? 

moonwalking pretty fast there.

and the only reason longo is the face of the rays and not CC is because longo is much more media friendly.  CC is known to be a TERRIBLE interview because...face it....he just isnt that bright of a person.

BJ Upton is much more liked by mainstream media for his answers than CC.  but the fans still LOVE CC because he is honest and plays hard.

rays front office know this.  i cant see them moving him.  in this economy i could see other teams valuing guys like jennings more than crawford...why not?

you do?   yea rays are small market but who is to say that pena couldnt be moved? bartlett is key to this team and we need to keep him but zobrist?  aki is gonna be off the payroll after this season.  same with percy.  there is room to pay CC. 

Sonnastein is pitching well in the minors,

Andy is now on the Minor League DL with mononucleosis

Archived