• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Khyri Thornton not coming to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  185
  • Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

well in my opinion the committee is looking to save their !@##! and not trying to help  get a kid an education and that is why USF will always be a second rate school in FL.

Community colleges help get a kid an education. He can go to one just like any other student who doesn't get admitted and work hard there to get another chance.

Your thoughts about USF's role in this are ass backwards.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

well in my opinion the committee is looking to save their !@##! and not trying to help  get a kid an education and that is why USF will always be a second rate school in FL.

Community colleges help get a kid an education. He can go to one just like any other student who doesn't get admitted and work hard there to get another chance.

Yeah, what a hilarious thing to say. USF won't admit unqualified students, so the university will "will always be a second rate school." In other news, candy will always taste disgusting because the makers won't include ingredients that taste like ****.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Yeah, what a hilarious thing to say. USF won't admit unqualified students, so the university will "will always be a second rate school." In other news, candy will always taste disgusting because the makers won't include ingredients that taste like ****.

+1  Now that's funny!!

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I can't believe how many people are embarrassed by this.

Things that embarrass me...

1. Having the lowest APR on earth

2. "alumni" on our message board who call our school a "joke"

3. "alumni" here who can't write a coherent sentence

Those things embarrass me about USF.

As for not helping this kid get an education, who decided it was everyone's God given right to have an education? Most people on here had to work for their education. Hell, we may as well admit him, then just give him a degree so that he doesn't have to go through the trouble of studying and all. Should at least have a 3.5 GPA to help boost the team GPA also. That would solve our APR problems, right?

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

As for not helping this kid get an education, who decided it was everyone's God given right to have an education? Most people on here had to work for their education. Hell, we may as well admit him, then just give him a degree so that he doesn't have to go through the trouble of studying and all. Should at least have a 3.5 GPA to help boost the team GPA also. That would solve our APR problems, right?

+1000

The only thing that concerns me:

- We took way too long to notify the KID whether he would be accepted. No way he should have to start planning what he's going to do with his life this late in the process. I really feel bad for the kid, and I hope this never happens again.

Our admission committee (AC) is trained to determine whether students will have a decent chance of graduating from USF. Based on Thonton's past history, the AC determined that his chances of reaching graduation day were slim to none. The AC is being proactive to avoid future APR EMBARRASSMENTS (and possibly NCAA sanctions). You will thank them later. The process of notifying STUDENT-Athletes needs to be done quicker, though.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  172

Not everyone who is on this message board is an alumni but I see your point. Some people could give two violation if they type in complete sentences let alone use proper grammar and punctuation.

Personally-- I think this kid screwed up and did not do enough to fully qualify. Now he has to go somewhere else for a while-- perhaps a JUCO route like others have gone. Nothing terrible about that other than not being able to have him play for us for a few more years-- especially if he gets the proper attitude and classroom habits needed to go to USF in the end. Clearly-- he has a questionable (at best) track record. The whole second rate institution comments are pretty pathetic and uninformed.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

The only thing that concerns me:

- We took way too long to notify the KID whether he would be accepted. No way he should have to start planning what he's going to do with his life this late in the process. I really feel bad for the kid, and I hope this never happens again.

Our admission committee (AC) is trained to determine whether students will have a decent chance of graduating from USF. Based on Thonton's past history, the AC determined that his chances of reaching graduation day were slim to none. The AC is being proactive to avoid future APR EMBARRASSMENTS (and possibly NCAA sanctions). You will thank them later. The process of notifying STUDENT-Athletes needs to be done quicker, though.

I'd really like to get some reporting (Brett/Greg/Oracle... please) on this, but with no knowledge whatsoever of how this committee works, I would bet dollars to donuts the committee got back to this kid plenty early.

Let's just talk about what happens when a normal student applies to USF.  Unless it has changed since 1999 when I applied, all students who apply in the fall of their senior year are either admitted, deferred, or denied.  If a student has great academics their are admitted with relatively few conditions (generally no major disciplinary issues, they complete courses required for graduation, etc).  If students are so poor there is no chance they would be considered they are declined.  Some number of students fall close to the cut line and their admission is deferred.  Generally this means two things - 1) the admissions committee wants to evaluate their final semester work and 2) the committee wants to see who else applies to USF.

Since we are talking about admitting scholarshiped student athletes, seeing who else applies really isn't an issue - we all understand that scholarship athletes at practically every school don't meet normal requirements to be admitted.  However, this committee is responsible for ensuring that the students can be successful, understanding the additional tutoring and help they will receive as athletes.

So let's just say hypothetically that the council told Khryi before he signed his LOI "You are borderline, and we cannot guarantee your admission.  These are the things we would really need to see you do to convince us that you will be successful at USF."  Would anyone have any issue with this?  Would anyone say they felt bad for the kid getting screwed over and we need to fix that?  Do you think it would be fair for the coaching staff or USF to come out and say they rejected him this late because he didn't meet requirements x, y, and z? 

I think it would be unfair for USF to say anything regarding how these decisions work so close to this situation.  I would hope that perhaps in January they can talk, more generally, without naming specific players, about how decisions are made and the timing.  I have little doubt that CJL would be going military on someone if he just randomly got told in June some of his players cleared NCAA requirements but wont be accepted.

• 4 years later...

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just went in the third round to the Packers.

Digging up bones... i'm digging up bones....exhuming things that are better left alone..

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Doesn't mean he would have been drafted if he came here, hehe trollin

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

I can assure you by today's academic standards most on this board would not "get in" USF. Being smart is a good thing.

The way you wrote that almost makes it seem like you believe it!....haha, good one! ;)