• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Guest nybullsfan

lets hope that we develop at "go to" WR.  id rather see 1 guy get 8 catches a game then 4 guys get 2 catches.

I disagree. I'd rather have the 4 guys consistently getting good catches. If we start depending on one player, other teams will game plan for him.

Just ask DoJo

APPLES AND ORANGES.

in basketball there are only 10 guys on the court and it is a MUCH smaller space.  and i did not mean that i wanted 1 superstar and 4 other guys just going thru the motions (like our basketball team)  id love to have 15 nfl caliber WRs I just think that it would be better for our offense as a whole if Grothe had a Go To Guy.  it helps the confidence of grothe and our coaching staff when its those 3rd and longs.

on a basketball court you can gameplan to take 1 guy out of the mix offensively and still be in a pretty good position to guard the other 4.

in football if you game plan to eliminate 1 particular WR you open yourself up on the other side of the field big time.

And if you have to game plan for 4 consistently good receivers, you open yourself up on every play.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

This almost sounds like a runningback discussion.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Yeah he got a lot of practice for kick returns during the Rutgers game....  :-\

But he definitely has skills. Our whole WR set will be quite a bunch. Can't wait to see them in action.

Is it bad that I got a chuckle out of that?

Guest nybullsfan

Yeah he got a lot of practice for kick returns during the Rutgers game....  :-\

But he definitely has skills. Our whole WR set will be quite a bunch. Can't wait to see them in action.

Is it bad that I got a chuckle out of that?

Yah, it's bad.

But it's still funny.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

lets hope that we develop at "go to" WR.  id rather see 1 guy get 8 catches a game then 4 guys get 2 catches.

I disagree. I'd rather have the 4 guys consistently getting good catches. If we start depending on one player, other teams will game plan for him.

Just ask DoJo

APPLES AND ORANGES.

in basketball there are only 10 guys on the court and it is a MUCH smaller space.  and i did not mean that i wanted 1 superstar and 4 other guys just going thru the motions (like our basketball team)  id love to have 15 nfl caliber WRs I just think that it would be better for our offense as a whole if Grothe had a Go To Guy.  it helps the confidence of grothe and our coaching staff when its those 3rd and longs.

on a basketball court you can gameplan to take 1 guy out of the mix offensively and still be in a pretty good position to guard the other 4.

in football if you game plan to eliminate 1 particular WR you open yourself up on the other side of the field big time.

And if you have to game plan for 4 consistently good receivers, you open yourself up on every play.

no ****, buddy.

but the fact is, we probably aren't going to have 4 superstars lining up at wideout.  having a guy Grothe can not only count on to make a catch in the clutch but who is good enough to design plays for is what we've been lacking since he's been here.

even teams with a litany of talent at WR still have a standout who becomes the "go-to" guy.  just ask Crabtree over at TxTech.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Anyone else as excited as I am about him?

Second half of the year, he was spectacular on kick returns. Reminded me of JR, but better.

Solid receiver too, good hands. Great size too.

He's my breakout player for '09

GO BULLS!

usf doesnt know how to use an elite receiver

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Just ask DoJo

APPLES AND ORANGES.

\

usf doesnt have 4 good receivers

usf doesnt have a coaching staff or a scheme that incorporates 4 receivers  with any consistency

• Content Count:  98
  • Days Won:  0

Second half of the year, he was spectacular on kick returns. Reminded me of JR, but better.

GO BULLS!

Other than the UCONN game and the Bowl (against a woefully overmatched team) what specifically impressed you about him in the return game? He averaged about 20 per return which doesn't set the world on fire. Did you notice that the other team kicked ONLY to him in almost every game? That says they fear any other guy (Murphy, Taurus, etc) more than him.

I like Bogan as a WR going forward, but I don't think his return skills are scaring anybody.

• Content Count:  849
  • Days Won:  0

Just ask DoJo

APPLES AND ORANGES.

\

usf doesnt have 4 good receivers

usf doesnt have a coaching staff or a scheme that incorporates 4 receivers  with any consistency

They do now with Canales

I think Hester, Mitchell, Bogan and Love are good receivers

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

GO BULLS!

Other than the UCONN game and the Bowl (against a woefully overmatched team) what specifically impressed you about him in the return game? He averaged about 20 per return which doesn't set the world on fire. Did you notice that the other team kicked ONLY to him in almost every game? That says they fear any other guy (Murphy, Taurus, etc) more than him.

I like Bogan as a WR going forward, but I don't think his return skills are scaring anybody.

Actually, he averaged close to 27 yds per return and I noticed the same thing the OP did ... he came on the second half of the year. He just didn't seem to waste any time running east and west and went vertical as soon as he could.

Archived