• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Commit WR Difton Switches to UConn

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

It looks like USF has cooled off in recruiting St. Thomas WR Dwayne Difton. I remember we were recruiting both him and Duron Carter, but Carter wound up committing to Ohio State. Since I haven't seen this reported on here, here's the information:

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/highschool/recruiting/blog/2009/01/wr_difton_to_add_spice_to_ucon.html

WR Difton to add "Spice" to UConn

> Posted by Christopher Stock on January 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

St. Thomas Aquinas WR Dwayne Difton has committed to Connecticut.

"It's a great opportunity to come in and play right away and a great program with great academics," Difton said. "If i graduate from there, it would be a major part of my life."

Difton, 5-11, 170, picked Connecticut over Southern Miss and South Florida, which he verbally committed to last spring.

"I still haven't been able to get ahold of South Florida," said Difton, who listed the Bulls as his leader despite de-committing from them. "Now I'd rather go to the Big East and play against them. I'm looking forward to that game."

Difton, who will wear No. 1 at Connecticut, is the highest-ranked player the Huskies have gotten out of high school. He is listed as the 47th-best wide receiver by ESPN.com and 39th-best by Rivals.com.

"Since I committed there, I'm the highest-ranked player that they've ever had so that's great," Difton said. "I know they are going to expect a whole lot out of me, which I like."

Connecticut finished 8-5 this season and won the International Bowl over Buffalo. Difton feels he can be a playmaker in the passing game, which finished 109th this past season.

"They have an offensive coordinator that they are going to spread it out and they need wideouts," Difton said. "I am going to come in and play right away. I want to some spice in the offense."

Difton caught 33 passes for 549 yards and six touchdowns this season for the national champions. Difton won back-to-back Class 5A championships at Aquinas after transferring from Pompano Beach Ely after a standout sophomore season.

He will make it official on Signing Day, February 4 at 5:30 at the high school.

Christopher Stock is a co-owner of InsideTheU.com and can be contacted by emailing him at stock@insidetheu.com

POSTED IN: Other Schools (16), South Florida (4)

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I just noticed this same topic mentioned by KingBull's post. Mods, please merge with that existing thread.

• Content Count:  1,478
  • Days Won:  0

This is not good, our former recruits want to beat us specifically. I'm just kidding i think thats  awesome. on guard

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

Poor him. 

• Content Count:  1,894

? Now he acts like he would of chose us. He chose to shop around. Our coaching staff has more important things to worry about than a wr. Wr is one of the most overrated positions to depend on. It's weird because he makes it sound like he would of been a bull if usf had just contacted him.

• Content Count:  1,400

I dont remember this guy giving us a verbal he is rated 4 star in rivals seems like a big loss if thats the case

• Content Count:  5,241

Im sure he's good, but we got plenty of WRs just as good if not better.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I dont remember this guy giving us a verbal he is rated 4 star in rivals seems like a big loss if thats the case

He was either the first or second kid to commit.  He backed out upon advice of some close to him as they thought he settled on USF too soon.  We are on both Lamar Scruggs and Sterling Griffin.  Given the lack of interest after the decommitment on his side the staff moved on. 

In any case 2010 is supposed to be a very kid year in Florida for talent at skill positions.

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

If CJL doesn't get a commit from Scruggs or Griffin, does he go after Difton at the last minute?

It sounds like he is settling on UConn.  How many kids from FL grow up dreaming of playing college football in Conn?

And to make the comments about USF right after he committed to UConn.  I bet he regrets pulling his commit from USF.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

If CJL doesn't get a commit from Scruggs or Griffin, does he go after Difton at the last minute?

It sounds like he is settling on UConn.  How many kids from FL grow up dreaming of playing college football in Conn?

And to make the comments about USF right after he committed to UConn.  I bet he regrets pulling his commit from USF.

I doubt that we would go back to Difton, just on principle. IF we have an extra scholarship to give out to another WR, I think we'd sign a JUCO who originally committed to USF, like Josh Bellamy or Ishmael Grant. Either guy woulld be capable of playing right away.

Archived