• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Progression of Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I was thinking about posting something like this, except with the focus on who is likely to contribute from the 2008 class this year.

I think the 2007 class is the most overrated we've had so far.  Just looking at the list above, 7 of our highest rated recruits have left from that class.  Sinclair is still here but enrolled late and so might as well count in the 2008 class (redshirted his first year last season). Josh Bellamy and  Donte Spires are also gone from that class, and Spires was a 3 star on rivals.  9 guys from 1 class gone.

So far, the only major contributors from the 2007 class are Mike Ford, Terrell McClain, Q Washington, Jeremiah Warren, and Sampson Genus.  I'm using the term major loosely.  Tyson Butler got some playing time as well, I guess.  Granted, those guys either played as true freshmen or redshirt freshmen, but that's pretty bad considering what our class looked like at the time.

Contrast that to the 2008 class, where many guys have already contributed:  David Bedford, Kion Wilson, Corey Grissom (hope he gets that redshirt along with BJ Daniels and Daniel Bryant), Craig Marshall, Theo Wilson, and Maikon "Boom Boom" Bonani.  That's aready at least as many as the 2007 class that had a year head start.

Looking ahead to this year, I count 18-19 guys that redshirted last year as freshmen, and about 12 of them may contribute this season according to reports, including:  Daniels, Landi, Bryant, Edwards, Estenor, Popek, Jackson, Taylor, Lejiste, Sinclair, and Baker.

Finally, the 2009 class is our best ever (and hopefully will get even better in the next 2 weeks) and contains several possibilities to contribute early, including Giddens, Thornton, J Williams, Jenkins, Lamar (if just for ridiculous speed), Hopkins (ditto), Theliar, and Stirrups.

windbane, 2007 was slightly overrated from the standpoint that quite a few of the top athletes disappeared.  But all classes for every school lose players and a class gets rated not by it's losses but by production over 4-5 years of the top 3rd of the class which is usually about all a class produces, 10-12 starters at most.  Also remember a few things, first Jamar Taylor is effectively part of that class, also Keith McCaskill played a ton at DT, and looked good doing it.  And where the hell is Dontavia Bogans in your 2007 assessment, he's jumped up big time, and I also expect Cha-Cha Sinclair to really come on, and also Jerrell Young was part of this class.  He started the bowl game and will be a HUGE player, expected to blow up in 2009!

The 2007 class was a touch overrated, or rather probably correctly ranked when you factor in Jamar Taylor, Young, and Bogan's if correctly ranked.  I also believe when it's all said and done Cha-Cha, young, taylor, butler, Washington, warren, powe, mcclain, ford, genus, and kelly will have the types of careers that will allow us to call 2007 a relative success, and a nice building blocks recruiting class.  

I also feel the same about 2008, with lots of underrated talents like AJ Love, mitchell, nate allen, zach hermann, andrew ketchel, warren, and samuels, joseph, also include transfer pupello to this bunch...sure it lost some talent, but the level many of these guys jumped too should measure out well.

The only real abomination of a class is 2005.  It's got Grothe, Taurus, Selvie, Murphy, Busbee, Robinson, and Tyller Roberts...but there was 21-22 in that class and as of last season only 11 were left and only 7 were starters or major contributors in some capacity, and in this season, the final for this class, only 6 will be left, and only four seem assured as starters- but I suppose it will always be a success at some level landing us Selvie, Grothe, and TJ...that can never be discounted.

Although you get to the 2008 class and of the 24, only 1 didn't make it.  Secondly all are still on the team heading into the spring- four have already started in Bonani, Marshall, Wilson, Estenor...four more saw significant playing time in Bedford, Theo Wilson, grissom, and BJ Daniels.  Coaches, and by all indications say the class is amazing...Evan Landi has really come on as a QB, Grissom was underrated, by all indications from the staff ditto for Popek and Estenor.

I expect this upcoming season to see at least six starting, and nearly half the class contributing...and I am not even counting on perhaps some of the most gifted athletes on the team in Jatavious Jackson, BJ Daniels, Daniel Bryant, Quavon Taylor, Jeff Hawkins, and Demetrious Murray.  

With all that being said about 2008, the addition of Anthony Hill further amplifies it's quality, but still doesn't come close to equalling what's coming in for the 2009 class, particularly once you add Daron Rose.  Battle, Giddens, Forte, Jacquez Jenkins, Stirrups, Theliar, Jacquian Williams, Jacques, Thornton, and Dixon are elite caliber athletes at their position.  I mean upper tier elite where we really, truly fended off elite schools for their services.  It's amazing when you've got Tyrone Williams, a great defensive player, and ranked like 72nd in the state of GA, is one of our lowest ranked athletes...Bogans, a similarly ranked athlete a few years ago, was one of our highest rated back then.  

This class, combined with the touch more blue-collared 2008 class, and 2007's left overs...is quite an assemblage of talent, speed, size, and skill.  That should be enough to really make a strong push after the BE from 2009 and on.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,204

first of all no one has signed yet

second, you are  all surprised with the prospects and all i have been saying is that usf should be top recruiting big east program because we are surrounded by all the talent

we are still being out recruited by several big east teams and at the end of the day if usf doesnt bring in freshman that can start(except for grothe and selvie) than they cant be that great

at the end of the day even if usf had #1 recruiting class our coaching staff will coach them down

\feb 4th will be interesting to say the least

Funny that ESPN is saying we're pushing Rutgers for the top recruiting spot in the Big East.

At the end of the day I see us, Rutgers, and West Virginia all having top 25 classes and fighting for top dog in the conference with Pitt and UConn occasionally sneaking in and Cincy could stay in the upper echelon as long as they keep Brian Kelly.  Louisville still has some potential but Kragthorpe needs to have a good year this year.  And I still think Syracuse can come back.  They have a great history and are now going back to recruiting more speed and rebuilding their base in New York and New England.

I agree with previous assessments here.  We had a lot of redshirts last year that could step up.  Despite the graduation of much of the OL, I think we could improve with the newer gusy that have a higher ceiling IMO.  The real challenge is for Ford and the other RBs to stay healthy and be better utilized.  I think a healthy Mike Ford should be able to run over teams ala McCoy from Pitt and Brown from UConn.  That would make Grothe's job much easier, especially since he can run as well.  I'd also like to see some packages this year where both Grothe and Daniels are in on the same play.  It'd give Grothe a chance to expand his repertoire and give Daniels some snaps. 

I think we have a lot of talent on offense.  We've got some incoming freshman on both sides of the ball that may be able to play right away and give us depth, especially on the DL and in the secondary.  JUCO transfers at LB that will help immediately. 

And a guy like Lindsey Lamar might also avoid a redshirt.  His sick speed would be an asset immediately out of the backfield.  Either in a handoff or a dump off pass, this kid could torch a lot of teams right now.  So could the receiver out of Miami, though I think he's more likely to be redshirted.

• Content Count:  4,501

I was thinking about posting something like this, except with the focus on who is likely to contribute from the 2008 class this year.

I think the 2007 class is the most overrated we've had so far.  Just looking at the list above, 7 of our highest rated recruits have left from that class.  Sinclair is still here but enrolled late and so might as well count in the 2008 class (redshirted his first year last season). Josh Bellamy and  Donte Spires are also gone from that class, and Spires was a 3 star on rivals.  9 guys from 1 class gone.

So far, the only major contributors from the 2007 class are Mike Ford, Terrell McClain, Q Washington, Jeremiah Warren, and Sampson Genus.  I'm using the term major loosely.  Tyson Butler got some playing time as well, I guess.  Granted, those guys either played as true freshmen or redshirt freshmen, but that's pretty bad considering what our class looked like at the time.

Contrast that to the 2008 class, where many guys have already contributed:  David Bedford, Kion Wilson, Corey Grissom (hope he gets that redshirt along with BJ Daniels and Daniel Bryant), Craig Marshall, Theo Wilson, and Maikon "Boom Boom" Bonani.  That's aready at least as many as the 2007 class that had a year head start.

Looking ahead to this year, I count 18-19 guys that redshirted last year as freshmen, and about 12 of them may contribute this season according to reports, including:  Daniels, Landi, Bryant, Edwards, Estenor, Popek, Jackson, Taylor, Lejiste, Sinclair, and Baker.

Finally, the 2009 class is our best ever (and hopefully will get even better in the next 2 weeks) and contains several possibilities to contribute early, including Giddens, Thornton, J Williams, Jenkins, Lamar (if just for ridiculous speed), Hopkins (ditto), Theliar, and Stirrups.

windbane, 2007 was slightly overrated from the standpoint that quite a few of the top athletes disappeared.  But all classes for every school lose players and a class gets rated not by it's losses but by production over 4-5 years of the top 3rd of the class which is usually about all a class produces, 10-12 starters at most.  Also remember a few things, first Jamar Taylor is effectively part of that class, also Keith McCaskill played a ton at DT, and looked good doing it.  And where the hell is Dontavia Bogans in your 2007 assessment, he's jumped up big time, and I also expect Cha-Cha Sinclair to really come on, and also Jerrell Young was part of this class.  He started the bowl game and will be a HUGE player, expected to blow up in 2009!

The 2007 class was a touch overrated, or rather probably correctly ranked when you factor in Jamar Taylor, Young, and Bogan's if correctly ranked.  I also believe when it's all said and done Cha-Cha, young, taylor, butler, Washington, warren, powe, mcclain, ford, genus, and kelly will have the types of careers that will allow us to call 2007 a relative success, and a nice building blocks recruiting class.  

I also feel the same about 2008, with lots of underrated talents like AJ Love, mitchell, nate allen, zach hermann, andrew ketchel, warren, and samuels, joseph, also include transfer pupello to this bunch...sure it lost some talent, but the level many of these guys jumped too should measure out well.

The only real abomination of a class is 2005.  It's got Grothe, Taurus, Selvie, Murphy, Busbee, Robinson, and Tyller Roberts...but there was 21-22 in that class and as of last season only 11 were left and only 7 were starters or major contributors in some capacity, and in this season, the final for this class, only 6 will be left, and only four seem assured as starters- but I suppose it will always be a success at some level landing us Selvie, Grothe, and TJ...that can never be discounted.

Although you get to the 2008 class and of the 24, only 1 didn't make it.  Secondly all are still on the team heading into the spring- four have already started in Bonani, Marshall, Wilson, Estenor...four more saw significant playing time in Bedford, Theo Wilson, grissom, and BJ Daniels.  Coaches, and by all indications say the class is amazing...Evan Landi has really come on as a QB, Grissom was underrated, by all indications from the staff ditto for Popek and Estenor.

I expect this upcoming season to see at least six starting, and nearly half the class contributing...and I am not even counting on perhaps some of the most gifted athletes on the team in Jatavious Jackson, BJ Daniels, Daniel Bryant, Quavon Taylor, Jeff Hawkins, and Demetrious Murray.  

With all that being said about 2008, the addition of Anthony Hill further amplifies it's quality, but still doesn't come close to equalling what's coming in for the 2009 class, particularly once you add Daron Rose.  Battle, Giddens, Forte, Jacquez Jenkins, Stirrups, Theliar, Jacquian Williams, Jacques, Thornton, and Dixon are elite caliber athletes at their position.  I mean upper tier elite where we really, truly fended off elite schools for their services.  It's amazing when you've got Tyrone Williams, a great defensive player, and ranked like 72nd in the state of GA, is one of our lowest ranked athletes...Bogans, a similarly ranked athlete a few years ago, was one of our highest rated back then.  

This class, combined with the touch more blue-collared 2008 class, and 2007's left overs...is quite an assemblage of talent, speed, size, and skill.  That should be enough to really make a strong push after the BE from 2009 and on.

Outstanding posts  nice job.

Just one quick question - Where do you put Leslie Stirrups in these class's -- I think he is coming back for 09.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

The fact that no one has signed has not stopped you from ******** about the recruiting for months already.

Also, why would February 4th be interesting?  You already have your standard responses about Leavitt and the program ready.

• Content Count:  1,370

second, you are  all surprised with the prospects and all i have been saying is that usf should be top recruiting big east program because we are surrounded by all the talent

we are still being out recruited by several big east teams and at the end of the day if usf doesnt bring in freshman that can start(except for grothe and selvie) than they cant be that great

at the end of the day even if usf had #1 recruiting class our coaching staff will coach them down

Smazza, if we had the number one ranked recruiting class in the nation, you'd still be complaining about something. You'd probably say something to the effect of, "rercuiting rankings dont mattr ask coachs."

In all seriousness, you're right that no one has signed yet. We can certainly continue to improve, but there's little doubt the quality of our recruiting has gone up. The athletic facility, BCS conference affiliation, and ascension into the top 10 the past two years has certainly attributed to that.

• Content Count:  4,879

class that usc has signed so far this year is tied for worst in nation

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Coch CAroll was unprofeinal in press confernce about Sanchez.

He needs tO lern how to act in FRoNt of media. 

• Content Count:  3,403

windbane, 2007 was slightly overrated from the standpoint that quite a few of the top athletes disappeared.  But all classes for every school lose players and a class gets rated not by it's losses but by production over 4-5 years of the top 3rd of the class which is usually about all a class produces, 10-12 starters at most.  Also remember a few things, first Jamar Taylor is effectively part of that class, also Keith McCaskill played a ton at DT, and looked good doing it.  And where the hell is Dontavia Bogans in your 2007 assessment, he's jumped up big time, and I also expect Cha-Cha Sinclair to really come on, and also Jerrell Young was part of this class.  He started the bowl game and will be a HUGE player, expected to blow up in 2009!

The 2007 class was a touch overrated, or rather probably correctly ranked when you factor in Jamar Taylor, Young, and Bogan's if correctly ranked.  I also believe when it's all said and done Cha-Cha, young, taylor, butler, Washington, warren, powe, mcclain, ford, genus, and kelly will have the types of careers that will allow us to call 2007 a relative success, and a nice building blocks recruiting class. 

The only real abomination of a class is 2005.  It's got Grothe, Taurus, Selvie, Murphy, Busbee, Robinson, and Tyller Roberts...but there was 21-22 in that class and as of last season only 11 were left and only 7 were starters or major contributors in some capacity, and in this season, the final for this class, only 6 will be left, and only four seem assured as starters- but I suppose it will always be a success at some level landing us Selvie, Grothe, and TJ...that can never be discounted.

Although you get to the 2008 class and of the 24, only 1 didn't make it.  Secondly all are still on the team heading into the spring- four have already started in Bonani, Marshall, Wilson, Estenor...four more saw significant playing time in Bedford, Theo Wilson, grissom, and BJ Daniels.  Coaches, and by all indications say the class is amazing...Evan Landi has really come on as a QB, Grissom was underrated, by all indications from the staff ditto for Popek and Estenor.

With all that being said about 2008, the addition of Anthony Hill further amplifies it's quality, but still doesn't come close to equalling what's coming in for the 2009 class, particularly once you add Daron Rose.  Battle, Giddens, Forte, Jacquez Jenkins, Stirrups, Theliar, Jacquian Williams, Jacques, Thornton, and Dixon are elite caliber athletes at their position.  I mean upper tier elite where we really, truly fended off elite schools for their services.  It's amazing when you've got Tyrone Williams, a great defensive player, and ranked like 72nd in the state of GA, is one of our lowest ranked athletes...Bogans, a similarly ranked athlete a few years ago, was one of our highest rated back then. 

This class, combined with the touch more blue-collared 2008 class, and 2007's left overs...is quite an assemblage of talent, speed, size, and skill.  That should be enough to really make a strong push after the BE from 2009 and on.

Heh, I'll give you Taylor and I missed Bogans.  Good points.  Sinclair made it to the team late, so he should count as a 2008 recruit since that's when he redshirted and still has 4 years.  Still, the 2007 class, if not "overrated," has been disappointing at least.  I say overrated because you have recruiting rankings but when most of your top recruits don't show up your class shouldn't be ranked that high anymore.  The contrast I was making is the same that you fleshed out:  2008 and 2009 classes are looking far better.  We have more guys that redshirted from the 2008 class than made it from the 2007 class.

Also, good points about 2005.  It's nice to not only be increasing the talent we get in each class but also signing guys that will actually stick around.

daBull80:  I mentioned Stirrups as a likely contributor from this year's (2009) class.  I can't wait to see how the 2-deep progresses this season.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

^^^Yeah we should see a noticeable increase in quality dept and starters over the next couple of years with more players making it and and sticking around so they can be developed. 

• Content Count:  1,037

I think at least one of these guys should get playing time next year unless Baker is just as fast (I've heard he is a blazer). 

Archived