• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Progression of Recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

Although it has died down with the recent high-ranking commits, there has been a lot of talk about how we are not moving forward with our recruiting and I can’t understand how people can come to that conclusion. To look at only the rank of each class over the last few years and claim that it has not changed much is only looking at 50% of the process. The other 50% is attrition over the following years. This relates, many times directly, to the character and true capabilities of the players being recruited. All you have to do to see that recruiting has improved over the past few years is look at one of the recruiting sites and see how the classes have turned out in the following years.

For example, here are the three-star and above recruits over the past four years, according to Scout:

Recruiting Results.jpg

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  12,293

i cant really think of anyone (outside of smazza) who says we arent moving making progress with our recruiting.

but, why do you have some of those guys crossed off?  obviously some of those guys are no longer with the program but some of them are.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

i cant really think of anyone (outside of smazza) who says we arent moving making progress with our recruiting.

but, why do you have some of those guys crossed off?  obviously some of those guys are no longer with the program but some of them are.

Looks like the guys that are crossed off are the ones that had to go to JC before being here or guys who have left the program for one reason or another. 

• Content Count:  431

Pretty much anyone with a variation of bully in their name and a few others, including Smazza, have complained about the progress of recruiting over the past few months.

The only ones crossed off that are currently with the team are guys who went to JC and came back. Since they did not come in with that class they shouldn't be counted towards it and will count towards the class that they came back in with.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

How come we have stopped hearing from the naysayers after all these recruits started rolling in?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,651
  • Days Won:  29

USF has progressed well in recruiting, now i the time to translate sucess with them on the field. DEPTH !

• Content Count:  3,403

I was thinking about posting something like this, except with the focus on who is likely to contribute from the 2008 class this year.

I think the 2007 class is the most overrated we've had so far.  Just looking at the list above, 7 of our highest rated recruits have left from that class.  Sinclair is still here but enrolled late and so might as well count in the 2008 class (redshirted his first year last season). Josh Bellamy and  Donte Spires are also gone from that class, and Spires was a 3 star on rivals.  9 guys from 1 class gone.

So far, the only major contributors from the 2007 class are Mike Ford, Terrell McClain, Q Washington, Jeremiah Warren, and Sampson Genus.  I'm using the term major loosely.  Tyson Butler got some playing time as well, I guess.  Granted, those guys either played as true freshmen or redshirt freshmen, but that's pretty bad considering what our class looked like at the time.

Contrast that to the 2008 class, where many guys have already contributed:  David Bedford, Kion Wilson, Corey Grissom (hope he gets that redshirt along with BJ Daniels and Daniel Bryant), Craig Marshall, Theo Wilson, and Maikon "Boom Boom" Bonani.  That's aready at least as many as the 2007 class that had a year head start.

Looking ahead to this year, I count 18-19 guys that redshirted last year as freshmen, and about 12 of them may contribute this season according to reports, including:  Daniels, Landi, Bryant, Edwards, Estenor, Popek, Jackson, Taylor, Lejiste, Sinclair, and Baker.

Finally, the 2009 class is our best ever (and hopefully will get even better in the next 2 weeks) and contains several possibilities to contribute early, including Giddens, Thornton, J Williams, Jenkins, Lamar (if just for ridiculous speed), Hopkins (ditto), Theliar, and Stirrups.

• Content Count:  1,757

I sure hope the 09 class doesn't experience the attrition that we saw in 06 and 07.  It's very surprising to see so many kids crossed off that list.  It's also a little surprising that B.J. Daniels was only a 3 star, not a 4.

• Content Count:  10,219

we are imporving all the way around.

1. we are getting to choose better talent thus we take fewer risks on the academic side

2. we are filling needs so we are much more picky

3. CJL has buildt cred in the HS's among kids and coaches so we are getting more looks by top guy's and coaches have less resistance to usf.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

first of all no one has signed yet

second, you are  all surprised with the prospects and all i have been saying is that usf should be top recruiting big east program because we are surrounded by all the talent

we are still being out recruited by several big east teams and at the end of the day if usf doesnt bring in freshman that can start(except for grothe and selvie) than they cant be that great

at the end of the day even if usf had #1 recruiting class our coaching staff will coach them down

\feb 4th will be interesting to say the least

Archived