• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CANES now say MARVE can go to USF & UCF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

If he had to sit out a year... USF would be the better place for him to go. 

Why?  I hope it's not because your delusional to think Rob Calabrese is going to be a great QB- that kid has more hitches then a trailer, or LD Crow is anything but the overrated passer he was coming out of HS.  The fact is Marve would blow by all those guys on the depth chart, and I think UCF would give him a fresher start.  The starting spot would be set-up in 2010 at USF with only BJ Daniels, and Evan Landi to beat, but there is a lot of critical eyes around here that would critique his every move which he wouldn't get as much in Orlando.

I don't think either Marve nor Calabrese will be great.. but bottom line is iif he sat out a  year at UCF.. We will either have a 2nd or 3rd year starter in place when he could play.. while grothe would be graduating when he would be eligible for USF.. thus he would be on a much more even playing field  working toward a starters job.   To be honest I think he woulld be ahead going to somewhere else rather than eiither of us.

The flaw in your logic comes from the false assumption that being a two- or three-year starter at UCF in any way actually means a person is any good.

it would mean he was good enough to be their best option to fit whatever needs they had at that position for 2 or 3 years ... That's all you can really ask out of any player going into a program.

The UCF poster said USF would be better for Marve than UCF would because UCF mighth ave a two- or three-year starter at the helm that season, while USF will not. But being a three-year starter at UCF does not automatically make a QB better or more qualified than a first-year starter at USF, which is what the poster was implying. It only means he was good enough to start on a crappy, crappy team for a couple seasons.

That's not to say UCF doesn't have good players. But "three-year starter at UCF" is not a credit to a player’s ability the way "three-year starter at Oklahoma" would be. It's hilariously far from that, in fact.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

it's a comical joke over at UCF now when it comes to QB- and how delusional they are about players and their futures.  Do you realize Rob Calabrese threw for 39.2% completion percentage.  Do you know how pathetically bad that is?  I mean, you could understand a kid doing that as a true frosh in a game or two, but Rob had over 180 throws on the year, and like 5 starts not to mention 6 INT's with 7 TD's, he's guaranteeing about an INT a game, and remember it's not like he's heeving the ball either, his average yards per completion were an excited 8.9ypc.  Hell, Greco who is REALLY BAD, threw 48%, did you know Greco has never throw over 50% completion in his HS or JC career.

But Rob comes in and throws 39% with all that time, having come to UCF in May to begin his tutoring...and you could give maybe a partial mulligan if he was an athletic 'dual threat' QB who could run.  But watching a few UCF games he's anything but...at times he looks like a kid with roots growing in the ground.  He executed ok a couple of read-options and draws, but didn't get **** (6-10 yard gains) despite catching the defenses flat footed and there was 2x to 3x as much yards to be had if you were Grothe.

They're moving Greco over to defense, where I told USF fans he should have been when they signed his arse, where USF talked to him about only, as if Rob set the world on fire...and yet behind him was even worse Joe Weatherford...but at least LD Crow is transfering in...the kid that barely saw a minute playing for Stanford for 2 years despite a QB carousel that went on those two years.

To put simply, any unbiased self-respecting UCF fan that really was honest about their team would be praying that Marve ends up there.  You could add Calabrese, Crow, Greco, and Weatherford together and I doubt they collectively have as much QB talent and potential as Robert Marve.  Sad but true, this year UCF was an ok QB away from winning 3-5 more games.

oh and i see today that UCF is sweating out the verbal of Nico Flores, against WMU, and FIU.  Brandon Helboy will tell the world he had BCS offers, but that doesn't count if UCF uses him as a QB.  It's like signing Mike Greco, sure he was a three and four star, but that was as an athlete, as a QB he's a 1-2 star kid as you've come to learn.  Nico Flores is a repeat of the same...an excellent athlete but remember he has a career 46% completion percentage in HS, and this year threw for something silly like 14 TD's to 6 INT's.  In HS that's below average, think Grothe as a senior threw for like 34 TD's and 8 INT's, and BJ Daniels threw for 28 and 3 INTs, and both threw for over 59% completion percentage career, and Grothe was 64% as a senior, BJ 61%.

UCF would be better off if they'd recruit a darn QB that can consistently complete passes in HS.  Why you all didn't go more ardently after Nico Rainieri is beyond me, a kid that threw for 2,500 yards as a senior, was always about 50% completion percentage even as a frosh, and threw for over 5,000 yards in his career.  That's the type of kid you go after, especially after you landed his quality teammate in Victor Gray, The Raineiri "Nico" not the Flores one, is the kind of player that would lead UCF to the CUSA championship.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

So, any word yet on where Marve is going to end up? I've heard rumors about Oklahoma St., Cincinnati, etc., but there hasn't been a difinitive school mentioned yet by anyone.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

I talked to my friend and former teammate who saw Marve in Tampa...said he was trying to get in here or it sounded like this is where he'll end up but it wasn't 100%.

If he wanted to come to USF he would have stated such, I believe. Why do you think his dad was still pissed even after given permission to go to USF or UCF. USF and/or UCF were never on his radar screen and MIami knew that!

• Content Count:  1,894

?...He doesnt have alot of choices. His choice is to go somewhere where he will an opportunity with a senior qb in 09 and a fair competition to start in 2010. His options are extremely limited in order to stay close to home. This is the most logical place. With our good recruiting class, you would think his friends in Tampa are pressuring him and pumping him up about usf. I'm just telling you what my friend told me. He was a high school football player and my former teammate and Marve said that about usf. He would get to play miami twice and Fsu once, and the Gators. How could you pass that up. The option is closer to reality then alot of people think. I would be pretty suprised if he chose elsewhere. This is regardless of how they weren't to excited about opening up these two options.

• Content Count:  677

I agree.. he is close to home.. will have a very legit chance at starting.. USF is the logical place for him to go.

• Content Count:  1,037

If Marve can live at home where his dad can keep track of his behavior then I would like to have him on the team. Otherwise, I think he would just be a distraction to the team. He would also have to be willing to compete with BJ Daniels for the starting spot and not cry about playing time if he doesn't play.

I agree.. he is close to home.. will have a very legit chance at starting.. USF is the logical place for him to go.

Well, legit chance to start if he can beat out BJ Daniels, Evan Landi, and an early enrolling Brion Carnes who is a pre-pre season top 60 player in FL for 2010.

If he wanted a legit chance to start he'd go to UCF because the bums they've got there and called 'starters' is a joke.  I mean I think a 60 year old alzheimers patient with a stiff breeze behind him has a better arm than Rob Calabrese.  Behind Rob what's left?  I mean you did watch your team play this year?  What on God's green earth do you believe Rob Calabrese possesses, aside from a pulse, that makes him potentially a good QB and capable to thwart off Marve, let alone that Alezheimer's patient?

We give him a chance to be near home, but no guarantees.  The guarantees reside at UCF, with no competent QB competition, and they play a decent enough schedule.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Well, legit chance to start if he can beat out BJ Daniels, Evan Landi, and an early enrolling Brion Carnes who is a pre-pre season top 60 player in FL for 2010.

If he wanted a legit chance to start he'd go to UCF because the bums they've got there and called 'starters' is a joke.  I mean I think a 60 year old alzheimers patient with a stiff breeze behind him has a better arm than Rob Calabrese.   Behind Rob what's left?   I mean you did watch your team play this year?  What on God's green earth do you believe Rob Calabrese possesses, aside from a pulse, that makes him potentially a good QB and capable to thwart off Marve, let alone that Alezheimer's patient?

We give him a chance to be near home, but no guarantees.  The guarantees reside at UCF, with no competent QB competition, and they play a decent enough schedule.

yeah he would pretty much be a starter from day one for UCF.  At USF there is no guarantee. 

Archived