• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I'll say it first... Grothe's senior year will make or break USF football

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Gotta agree with Jim, Sunil, and Normal on this subject.  It will be tough to go in there and win.  Remember how USF plays on the road.  Yes we've won at Auburn and WVU, but for the most part we struggle on the road.  I don't think it would put us back 3 years either.  We have so many chances coming up in the next 3 years:

'09-  FSU and Miami

'10-  UF and Miami

'11-  ND and Miami

It will definitely help us a ton if we win, but if we lose it'll just be another loss, no worse than losing to a Rutgers or Pitt.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

It is a tough question ...

Beating FSU & UM or Winnig the Big East ?

We cacn do both and that's our goal !

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

It is a tough question ...

Beating FSU & UM or Winnig the Big East ?

We cacn do both and that's our goal !

Go BULLS !!!

Although it would be nice to beat our 2 Florida competitors this coming year, I'd rather us win the Big East.

I agree with you it is a very, very tough question.

Either way this will be an important season for future recruits, what with Selvie and Grothe playing in their senior year.

• Content Count:  6,848
  • Days Won:  22

I dont think it will make or break USF football but it can certaintly help. If you asked me what would help USF the most a Big East title with BCS bowl or beating FSU/UM. I would chose BE title and BCS bowl.

Sure a BCS bowl will help no matter what happens in the FSU and UM games... winning the Big East is the trump card.

But what if I asked you what would help USF beating FSU/UM and going to the PapaJohns bowl or losing to FSU/UM and going to the PapaJohns bowl?

I agree with you there BUT that was not what I was comparing. I was asking what would you rather have?

1. Beat FSU and UM and go to Papajohns Bowl

or

2. Lose to FSU/UM, win Big East and play in Orange Bowl

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

I dont think it will make or break USF football but it can certaintly help. If you asked me what would help USF the most a Big East title with BCS bowl or beating FSU/UM. I would chose BE title and BCS bowl.

Sure a BCS bowl will help no matter what happens in the FSU and UM games... winning the Big East is the trump card.

But what if I asked you what would help USF beating FSU/UM and going to the PapaJohns bowl or losing to FSU/UM and going to the PapaJohns bowl?

I agree with you there BUT that was not what I was comparing. I was asking what would you rather have?

or

a tough call.  winning the big east is good but losing to those teams the same season will diminish the BE Championship in the eyes of college football.

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

not to mention beating f@#kin Rutgers....................is that too much to ask!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Don't see it breaking USF football.  Auburn win was going to "make" USF football.  Three losses in a row changed that quickly.  A 9 or 10 win season, winning the Big East and winning a BCS game will help make the program.  But as some have intimated on here, we would then get the "Big East suck$" from the talking heads on TV should we do all that.

I'd love to see us win both in state games, but don't think it will happen.  It is more likely we win the away game and lose to UM rather than the other way around IMHO.

• Content Count:  1,757

If it's Grothe's senior season then it's time for him to step up and be a leader and act like one.  Being a leader means you do things right on AND OFF the field.  That means no retarded Gro-Hawks or other such nonsense (like getting the superman "S" in his hair).  It means keeping his mouth shut when Brett Mc-Dillhole comes asking stupid questions.  It means not handing the ball to the opposing team player after a big play, then joking about it later with coaches on camera.  And it means playing as a TEAM on offense and not trying to be a one-man-show.

• Content Count:  971

It seems unfair and just plain wrong to bullieve the entire fortunes of a football program rest on the back of one student athlete, especially as the head coach appears unwilling to make tough, but needed, changes in staff personnel. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

or

A tough choice, at first glance, but really a no-brainer when you think about it. For long term dividends, beating the two in-state schools would be huge. As already noted, the benefit should realize itself in recruiting, helping to continue building the foundation of the program, which would lead to BCS bowls down the line ...

Archived