• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Not sure if Gregory gets it

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

When next year arrives, offensive coordinator Greg Gregory already has determined one thing he’ll do differently.

“I do know this: We are not going to hold back on the quarterback running,†Gregory said. “When we run the quarterback, we are a far better football team.â€

“The biggest thing is we’re hoping we get [running back] Mike Ford in real shape,†Gregory said. “We need to find out if he can be a big-time back. He’s shown flashes, Jamar Taylor and Moise Plancher have shown flashes, but you’d like to be more consistent with our run game.â€

On designed Runs Grothe was largely ineffective. Why would he want more designed QB runs? I believe the QB should run when everyone is covered and there is no where to throw the ball.

Consistent RB play. How about giving a RB a chance to get into the flow of the game?

Based on these statements he will be back next year. Lets just hope he understands the error of his ways.

• Content Count:  4,738

has leavitt not found his replacement yet?

• Content Count:  4,642

Gregory relies on Grothe mainly because our RBs can't step up and be a go-to back.  Gregory simply gives Grothe the ball because he's the one who steps up.  Hopefully Ford steps up like we need him to.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Watching a replay of the bowl game last night, when memphis blitzed grothe I saw there was a slant pass for him to make but he just ran back and took a big sack. He needs to learn to just take the hit and get the ball out of there.

When next year arrives, offensive coordinator Greg Gregory already has determined one thing he’ll do differently.

“I do know this: We are not going to hold back on the quarterback running,†Gregory said. “When we run the quarterback, we are a far better football team.â€

“The biggest thing is we’re hoping we get [running back] Mike Ford in real shape,†Gregory said. “We need to find out if he can be a big-time back. He’s shown flashes, Jamar Taylor and Moise Plancher have shown flashes, but you’d like to be more consistent with our run game.â€

On designed Runs Grothe was largely ineffective. Why would he want more designed QB runs? I believe the QB should run when everyone is covered and there is no where to throw the ball.

Consistent RB play. How about giving a RB a chance to get into the flow of the game?

Based on these statements he will be back next year. Lets just hope he understands the error of his ways.

I would disagree.  On designed runs, Grothe is quite effective -- often getting 5-6-7-8 yards per play.  The problem has been our read-option has not worked very well.

Second, Gregory does not decide which RB gets the ball, that job goes to Carl Franks.  As the position coach, he is the one responsible for rotating players -- and people may not like to hear this, but all of our RBs should be able to run every play.  To be sure, finding a 15-20-25 carry back would be great... but that won't happen with both Ford & Taylor on the team.  My guess is we become more two-back next season with Ford and Taylor splitting the duties... Plancher and Kelly will get the mop-up duties.

• Content Count:  919

I agree with Jim.  I hope Ford and Taylor split duties next year.  We need to develop a threat from RB.  Grothe can be devastating running, but need D's to have to worry about both QB and RB.  For 2009 to be a success, I don't think QB can lead us in rushing again!

• Content Count:  3,749
  • Days Won:  3

Gregory relies on Grothe mainly because our RBs can't step up and be a go-to back.  Gregory simply gives Grothe the ball because he's the one who steps up.  Hopefully Ford steps up like we need him to.

THEY DON'T GET A CHANCE!!! That is the problem. We probably haven't had a RB with more than 10 carries in a game all season. A back can't step up if they only get maybe 5-10 snaps a game. Not to mention blocking had been piss poor. It felt like the line blocked fine for Williams, and Taylor, but as soon as Ford touched the ball he was always tackled.

• Content Count:  919

That reminds me - hope we use our back like other teams.  Give a guy an entire series.  If it's a long drive, and he's winded, bring in the other guy inside the 20.  But quit rotating on every play and allow a back to get some rhythm. 

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

That reminds me - hope we use our back like other teams.  Give a guy an entire series.  If it's a long drive, and he's winded, bring in the other guy inside the 20.  But quit rotating on every play and allow a back to get some rhythm. 

Amen

Give your two best backs the majority of the touches.

Id love to see teams get pounded with Ford and Taylor and maybe Kelly late in the game with a lead to run out the clock.

Archived