• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

embarassing season begins to hurt recruiting

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

If I were a HS WR, I would think twice before coming to USF.  If I were a FL HS LB or DB USF would always be on my shortlist.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Yea like Ohio St getting waxed in national championship games hurt their recruiting  that Terrell Pryor guy sure bailed on them -  oops - maybe not.

Or maybe those 5 star USC recruits that manage to choke and lose to Standford and Oregon -  just kills their recruiting.

Best ranked class USF ever had is coming in and yet you clowns still manage to complain about it    ::)

• Content Count:  667

Yea like Ohio St getting waxed in national championship games hurt their recruiting   that Terrell Pryor guy sure bailed on them -   oops - maybe not.

Or maybe those 5 star USC recruits that manage to choke and lose to Standford and Oregon -  just kills their recruiting.

Best ranked class USF ever had is coming in and yet you clowns still manage to complain about it    ::)

Those programs still make it to BCS games... that's the difference.

Please take a DEEP breath and count to 10. we will lose some commits and gain others. If they are the type of recruits that would run away aftera 7-5 season then we dont need them. We need kids that would see that record as a chance to come in and take us to a higher level.

Well unfortunately, the type of commits that decommit to a program that just went 7-5 are top level talent.  So you're just going to ignore the fact that we're losing potential top level talent?  This is the mentality on this message board that propagates and justifies that "the recruiting rankings dont matter," when we all know that it does.  Talent always gives you the best chance to win on the field.  Sure, the talent has to be developed, but I'd rather have top level talent and bad development than mid-level talent (what we have) and bad development.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Please take a DEEP breath and count to 10. we will lose some commits and gain others. If they are the type of recruits that would run away aftera 7-5 season then we dont need them. We need kids that would see that record as a chance to come in and take us to a higher level.

Well unfortunately, the type of commits that decommit to a program that just went 7-5 are top level talent.  So you're just going to ignore the fact that we're losing potential top level talent?  This is the mentality on this message board that propagates and justifies that "the recruiting rankings dont matter," when we all know that it does.  Talent always gives you the best chance to win on the field.  Sure, the talent has to be developed, but I'd rather have top level talent and bad development than mid-level talent (what we have) and bad development.

I don't know good talent with bad development would get you FSU for the most part, but they did have a shot at winning the ACC.

If recruiting keeps getting better every year and it appears it will again this year I am happy with that, just get some good coaches and we could have a shot for the big east very soon

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

I started a Topic on this about a week ago mentioning a verbal commit O Lineman that is getting a wandering eye because his dad isn't happy with the way our season went.  It only stands to reason that kids want to play for a winner.  Hopefully he'll be here when signing day arrives.

• Content Count:  1,894

Shoop you must of misread my comment man, I'm with you. I don't want the feel good guys, those are the guys it seems everyone wants when a person decommits or something, LIKE FORGET HIM WE DON'T NEED HIM, well we do need him and we need to get it right to keep him in the future.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  125

Those bad records have not hurt the Canes in recruiting, thats the kind of Bulls players I want not those that would rather go to UF and sit in their bench for acouple of years.

UF, FSU, UM have all PROVEN they can win championships.  USF has yet to prove that it can even come close.  Sorry if top talent recruits want to go to a PROVEN team. 

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

If I were a HS WR, I would think twice before coming to USF.  If I were a FL HS LB or DB USF would always be on my shortlist.

no 4 or 5 star player is coming to play for leavitt

UF, FSU, UM have all PROVEN they can win championships.  USF has yet to prove that it can even come close.  Sorry if top talent recruits want to go to a PROVEN team. 

the reason of "The Chance to Play" plays second fiddle to "Playing for a Winner".  If you're a top-level recruit, you aren't picking USF with your #1 selection out of high school.  You're picking teams like UF, Ohio State, USC, Texas, etc.  Then, secondly, you are picking proven programs that are transitioning-- teams like FSU, UM, Auburn.  We, along with [hate to say it] UCF, are picking from the rest of those.  It is evidenced in the recruits we go after and the recruiting battles we have with UCF. 

There are deviations from the norm (example: Robert Griffin, http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?sport=1&pr_key=64312, who actually picked BAYLOR, for the chance to start immediately), but i think the QB position is a little different, seeing as there are only 119 starting QB's in division I college football.  All the other positions around Griffin are filled with mid-level recruits (like what we get).

Can we break out of this recruiting funk?  Sure, but we need to show prospects that we have a clear-cut vision for the program in order to do so (like how Greg Schiano recruits, and he does a great job doing it).  But, the way we cycle in RB's and WR's and the way our QB's don't develop over the years, it's starting to become a tough sell.  We NEED better coaching.

Archived