• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NO WAY you are happy about a showdown with Memphis.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Two thoughts.  First, we do not sound like UCF fans....    We are 12 years old.  Only 8 in D 1.  Only 4 in a legit conference.   Our recruiting still is lacking and we are no where near the top 25 in terms of utility depth.  By utility depth, I am talking linemen, special teams, etc.  Those key positions where you don't know guys names, unless they screw up.  We get injuries, and we step down 2 levels...   Even Cinci, WVU, RU, Pitt, have more depth than us.  Give that two more years and we will be in better shape.

Now on to Memphis.  I like the match up.  Maybe a win for us.  Memphis beat us the last time we played.   We are 2 - 1 against them.  They are on a winning streak.  We are on a losing streak.  Should be a decent match up.  Hopefully we will be healthy by then.

Plus we will have lots of fans there.  It will almost be a home game for us.

I am lookng forward to the game.   It is what we earned this year, and it IS A BOWL GAME.   4 years straight....  

You can bet that a lot of fans of other teams wish they were in a bowl game this year, plus the last 3.

UConn has been d-1a for as long as we have and they were BE co-champs last year. Boise State went d-1a 4 years before us. they have been in  and won a BCS bowl and have the highest winning percentage in the last 10 years at the d-1a level. how do you recruit to Idaho??

if we don't have depth doesn't that fall on the recruiters ? why did Leavitt kick off a special teams guy for missing practice due to class? did they not know we needed linemen to play football? our recruiting rankings have always been rated higher than cincy's.

by the way, bowls mean nothing more than a mediocre season now. it has nothing to do with success.

17 returning starters in this weak BCS league and we finish no better than 6th? Boise State lost their entire offensive line from last year and retooled their offense into a spread passing team from a run option team with a freshman starting QB and went undefeated.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

You guys act like it should all work out according to talent. If that was the case why play the stupid games, we would all know the winners in every game before they played. YES, we should had been better than our record, we had a crappy season where our team and staff did NOT perform to expectations. IT HAPPENS.

Look at Wisconsin, Tennesse, Auburn, Clemson, Michigan they all had DISSAPOINTING seasons.

Then there are teams that surprise and do better than expected. Is the reason we watch the games.

We all expect our team to continue to get better and meet expectations EVERY year, while that is great the facts are that is IMPOSSIBLE. Sooner or later we would have seasons like this, just like we will have season whjen we will do better than expected. remember that 9-2 season?

Anyways get over it, lets see how our team and staff reacts to it. If we have ANOTHER season like this then we have more to go after because it is not an exception but the rule. And before you go on at our two late season collapses, its called lack of depth and injuries.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

You guys act like it should all work out according to talent. If that was the case why play the stupid games, we would all know the winners in every game before they played. YES, we should had been better than our record, we had a crappy season where our team and staff did NOT perform to expectations. IT HAPPENS.

Look at Wisconsin, Tennesse, Auburn, Clemson, Michigan they all had DISSAPOINTING seasons.

Then there are teams that surprise and do better than expected. Is the reason we watch the games.

We all expect our team to continue to get better and meet expectations EVERY year, while that is great the facts are that is IMPOSSIBLE. Sooner or later we would have seasons like this, just like we will have season whjen we will do better than expected. remember that 9-2 season?

Anyways get over it, lets see how our team and staff reacts to it. If we have ANOTHER season like this then we have more to go after because it is not an exception but the rule. And before you go on at our two late season collapses, its called lack of depth and injuries.

why should we suffer thru another disaster of season

make necessay changes now

we are14-14 in big east .this  .500 record is reason enough to fire coaching staff

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Two thoughts.  First, we do not sound like UCF fans....    We are 12 years old.  Only 8 in D 1.  Only 4 in a legit conference.   Our recruiting still is lacking and we are no where near the top 25 in terms of utility depth.  By utility depth, I am talking linemen, special teams, etc.  Those key positions where you don't know guys names, unless they screw up.  We get injuries, and we step down 2 levels...   Even Cinci, WVU, RU, Pitt, have more depth than us.  Give that two more years and we will be in better shape.

Now on to Memphis.  I like the match up.  Maybe a win for us.  Memphis beat us the last time we played.   We are 2 - 1 against them.  They are on a winning streak.  We are on a losing streak.  Should be a decent match up.  Hopefully we will be healthy by then.

I am lookng forward to the game.   It is what we earned this year, and it IS A BOWL GAME.   4 years straight....  

You can bet that a lot of fans of other teams wish they were in a bowl game this year, plus the last 3.

UConn has been d-1a for as long as we have and they were BE co-champs last year. Boise State went d-1a 4 years before us. they have been in  and won a BCS bowl and have the highest winning percentage in the last 10 years at the d-1a level. how do you recruit to Idaho??

if we don't have depth doesn't that fall on the recruiters ? why did Leavitt kick off a special teams guy for missing practice due to class? did they not know we needed linemen to play football? our recruiting rankings have always been rated higher than cincy's.

by the way, bowls mean nothing more than a mediocre season now. it has nothing to do with success.

17 returning starters in this weak BCS league and we finish no better than 6th? Boise State lost their entire offensive line from last year and retooled their offense into a spread passing team from a run option team with a freshman starting QB and went undefeated.

great points

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

UCONN was in a BCS conference when they went to 1A.  We slugged our way through a mid major (CUSA) before finally gaining entry to a BCS/BE conference.  Additionally, UCONN had a team (1AA ) for many years before we did.  Our program is only 12 years old.  You cannot compare the two as it is not apples to apples.

Boise State has 4 years in 1A head start on us.  Plus that god awful blue field..  That kills all visiting opponents.  :-)

recruiting has only recently begun to be decent.  The last two years, really.  MOst of those kids are not playing yet (Red shirt, or sophs).  Give that two more years, and see if we are being competitive or not.

Lastly, the bowl topics.  Having a winning season and post season play is something only 54 teams get to enjoy.  There are approx 200 NCAA fb teams, over 100 1A teams.  You call it mediocre, but there are a lot of teams who wish they had a winning season and post season play.  We can agree to disagree on this point, but telling a recruit that your team has gone bowling 4 years in a row is positive.... 

Don't get me wrong, I am sad that we could not come in 1st or 2nd in conf this year.  But it was clear early when we struggled at UCF and FIU that we did not have a great program.  Partially coaching, partially talent, but definitely weaker this year than last.  I think we fell down in two areas.  McCarney being gone, adn overall Defense (specific secondary).  Lack of offensive playcalling along with weak offensive executiion, is why we died off in BE play....

I am not "ecstatic" about where we ended up, but am glad we salvaged a winning season and bowl game out of it...  And I think we can win against Memphis, though they are rising while we are on a losing trend...

• Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

Sadly enough we are exactly where we played ourselves into.....Memphis is by far as dissapointment in challenging our program to gain recognition as a solid FBS team......No disrespect to Memphis

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

Picked to win the Big East by almost every fan and by most sportwriters in the country. Now, a showdown with Memphis in a crap-ass bowl game. CJL has got to go. He served his purpose. We all appreciate him for that fact. Seems like a decent enough guy. Give him some cushy job in the sports dept. Make him AD. Make him prez of USF. But, get rid of him as HC. What a freaking joke and a total letdown embarassment to be playing Memphis in joke bowl game that shouldn't even be played.

I've been saying it for the last two years that CJL will not take this team to where it SHOULD be already in college football. Maybe FINALLY some of you are starting to feel the same way. 

****, sounds like you know everything...  Now pry your ass out of that lay-z-boy recliner and apply for the job yourself, if you can do a better job there Mr. Knowitall.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

UCONN was in a BCS conference when they went to 1A.  We slugged our way through a mid major (CUSA) before finally gaining entry to a BCS/BE conference.   Additionally, UCONN had a team (1AA ) for many years before we did.  Our program is only 12 years old.  You cannot compare the two as it is not apples to apples.

Boise State has 4 years in 1A head start on us.  Plus that god awful blue field..  That kills all visiting opponents.  :-)

recruiting has only recently begun to be decent.  The last two years, really.  MOst of those kids are not playing yet (Red shirt, or sophs).  Give that two more years, and see if we are being competitive or not.

Lastly, the bowl topics.  Having a winning season and post season play is something only 54 teams get to enjoy.  There are approx 200 NCAA fb teams, over 100 1A teams.   You call it mediocre, but there are a lot of teams who wish they had a winning season and post season play.  We can agree to disagree on this point, but telling a recruit that your team has gone bowling 4 years in a row is positive.... 

Don't get me wrong, I am sad that we could not come in 1st or 2nd in conf this year.  But it was clear early when we struggled at UCF and FIU that we did not have a great program.   Partially coaching, partially talent, but definitely weaker this year than last.  I think we fell down in two areas.  McCarney being gone, adn overall Defense (specific secondary).  Lack of offensive playcalling along with weak offensive executiion, is why we died off in BE play....

I am not "ecstatic" about where we ended up, but am glad we salvaged a winning season and bowl game out of it...  And I think we can win against Memphis, though they are rising while we are on a losing trend...

you're right we can't compare the two.

we are in the middle of the best recruiting state in the country. they are in a wasteland for high school football talent.

WVU has more Florida recruits (22) than the number of Connecticut recruits combined on every BE roster including UConn's(21).

they have been ranked last or 2nd to last in recruiting in this conference since day 1. coincidentally the only other team to be ranked below them is cincy as they both have occupied either last or second to last every year since we've been a member.

7-5 is mediocre whether it includes a bowl or not. You might be thankful for something as little as a bowl appearance but there are now 34 bowl games which means there are 68 teams. That's 57% of 119 teams.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

... Make him prez of USF. But, get rid of him as HC.

Some one clearly shares jfohio's opinion:

ANWKZRAWMCOXEKI.20081022170311.jpg

Archived