• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Grothe looking into dumping Bulls for NFL

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,442
  • Days Won:  9

reading this thread disgusts me -- this board is barely worth visiting anymore

Sad but true... What's worse is alot of these posters are actually adults.... who see it as their RESPONSABILITY to act like 2 year olds.  ::)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

reading this thread disgusts me -- this board is barely worth visiting anymore

Sad but true... What's worse is alot of these posters are actually adults.... who see it as their RESPONSiBILITY  to act like 2 year olds.  ::)

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

The question is "How has playing at USF prepared Grothe to play in the NFL?" My answer to that question is it has not done enough. USF relies on him for his athletic ability more than his ability to play quarterback. From his Freshmen to Sophomore year there were some improvements based largely on experience.  From his Sophomore to Junior year there were not that many.

USF does not allow Grothe to audible at the line instead it comes from the side line.  Also the offense does not allow him to make some of the throws that would be expected of a QB in the NFL. So I would say that USF has not prepared him for the NFL.  Just like WVA has not prepare Pat White for the NFL.

• Content Count:  5,241

Grothe will be back next year. Is Selvie dumping the team if he leaves early? NO. He's just doing whats best for him and his family.

You guys need to go outside for about an hour each day instead of posting here.

• Content Count:  1,457

Grothe is great kid, but he better get an education and skills b/c he will not play at the next level in NFL

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,035
  • Days Won:  5

You people kill me.  :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

“If they moved me to nose guard, I’d play,†he said. That doesn't sound like somebody overly full of himself. Sounds like 90% of us, just wanting the chance to play in the NFL.

He is just checking his options. Given the fact that he leads the Big East in passing and is 90% of the Bulls' offense, that's the smart thing to do. It also sounds to me, like he thinks the best he can do is the 4th round and he better grab his chance and go while he can. Again, smart.

Finally, he's being HONEST when he says he'll go if he is projected as at least a 4th rounder. Want him to feed everybody a line of crap and bolt anyway? I prefer honesty over hiding your intentions. If I were his teammate, I'd want that quality in my quarterback and expect nothing less.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

You people kill me.  :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO :ROFLMAO

“If they moved me to nose guard, I’d play,†he said. That doesn't sound like somebody overly full of himself. Sounds like 90% of us, just wanting the chance to play in the NFL.

He is just checking his options. Given the fact that he leads the Big East in passing and is 90% of the Bulls' offense, that's the smart thing to do. It also sounds to me, like he thinks the best he can do is the 4th round and he better grab his chance and go while he can. Again, smart.

Finally, he's being HONEST when he says he'll go if he is projected as at least a 4th rounder. Want him to feed everybody a line of crap and bolt anyway? I prefer honesty over hiding your intentions. If I were his teammate, I'd want that quality in my quarterback and expect nothing less.

I've thought about my original remark that Grothe isn't right for the NFL (size, etc) mostly because of past players who were more of the model than he is and still failed.  At least in the QB position..  But, possibly other options exist I had not considered right off.

Thinking of him in another position, that opens up a world of possibilities, especially on D.  The guy is tough, he is athletic, he is not afraid to hit or take a hit.  He can maneuver around 7 guys coming at him now, don't you think he could get around 1 or 2 offensive lineman to get to a QB?  He has speed.  I think I like the idea of him moving to D in the NFL and I can see that happening.  He'd have to prove himself, but I could see it happening and would enjoy watching him on Sundays.

I don't think he goes to the NFL this year, but he should get his name out there and test the waters so that next year there will be more buzz about him.  He probalby knows he is not going this year, but is marketing and positioning himself for the following year.  Kind of like when business people go to networking events to get business, but also to know people in case they need to tap into the network later for a future job.... 

I don't have any problem with him doing that.  I wish he had been a little more neutral for now until the season is over, but I don't blame him.

• Content Count:  1,894

I dont blame him at all for exhausting all possible options, its about his future. It is about an opportunity you might not get again. No problem. It would allow BJ the sole position and make alot of people happy, if he comes back...welcome back...and earn your spot because it will be tough competition. I think no matter what next year we should DUAL QB all year splitting the time like Va tech. Allow BJ to really get the experience with ample playing time. We have no pressure, noone will expect us to win the big east. Most likely will be picked to finish above Syracuse next year.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Great team player here! >:(  First off, he doesn't have the tools for the NFL. He is at best arena league. No arm, no discipline, no view of the field. If he can't cut it here with us, what makes him think he is 4th or 5th round? Maybe his ego says yes, but his skills say no way.    Reaper

Who said he WAS leaving.  Seems like a lot of people talk out their ass without even understanding the process available to underclassmen.

There is an NFL advisory board available that let's underclassmen know how they are projected IF they were enter the draft.  It also provides feedback to them as to what they need to work on and what they need to improve upon to taake it to the next level.

Over the years we have had a lot of kids seek out advice from the advisory board.  Andre Hall did so after his JR year here.  Mike Jenkins did, Amarri did,  A bunch of others.

I'd certainly take the word of the NFL scouts and coaching on the advisory board than the word of someone on a forums board.  Also, no one says he would go as a QB.  There are lots of guys who go at different positions. 

If it looks like he can make some decent money next year, why not take a shot?  If they come back and say he has no shot so be it. 

Archived