• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This sums it up for me!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Days Won:  1

Flip, you just summed it up for me.  I have always been Matt's fan and was pretty frustrated with the way things were being played out.  I agree Matt may have made a few mistakes but who doesn't in this imperfect world.  We have thought all along that Matt was given half a deck and told to go out and make a million.  I can tell by the way these guys are playing that the internal strife is there and it's against someone or something.  You just confirmed my answer.  It's glaringly obvious that a change needs to be made regarding the coaching (specifically ie : OC).  Unfortunately CJL needs to make that change for the good of the team and not let the loyalty get in the way.  He let Matt in as QB when Julmiste came back and he stated, " for the good of the team".  Now he needs to make that same type of change in the OC for the good of the team even for the remainder of the season.  So what if Grant quits because his Dad is let go.  It's for the good of the team.  BJ can back Matt up and alternate if necessary.  It would give Matt a rest #1 and give BJ some playing exposure.  We have nothing more to lose.  Tell Matt no one can point fingers because they don't know what they would do in that same situation and 99% have not been in his shoes.  I'm still there for him and the team hope above all hope that Leavitt takes the blinders off and makes the changes now!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

I'm still there for him and the team hope above all hope that Leavitt takes the blinders off and makes the changes now!

If Leavitt doesn't make changes after this season I don't think they can justify that decision to anyone.  This offense is like wasted potential.  I am usually not on the fire a coach bandwagon but this offensive coordinator is embarrassing. 

If they don't get rid of this guy the blame shifts 100% to Leavitt next year.

• Content Count:  5,245
  • Days Won:  2

has Matt spoken to his coaches about the playcalling?

does he have the option to call his own audibles?

what is MATT doing to rectify the situation?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

3rd and 15 in 3rd quarter    QB draw up the middle!!!!!

I have no issue if we are in 4 down territory there, but I agree that wasn't a brutal play call. How frustrated are you with the play calling? I have to think Matt is beyond frustration at this point.

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Matt does NOT have the authority to change plays.  IMO, one of the problems we have is that he's forced to run a QB draw 15 yds from the line, knowing it won't work.

Matt does NOT have the authority to change plays.  IMO, one of the problems we have is that he's forced to run a QB draw 15 yds from the line, knowing it won't work.

has he taken the issue up with his coaches?

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Matt Grothe should be the least of our worries on this team.

True

and i beg to differ that Matt doesn't have the authority to change plays.

even if he "doesn't have the authority" to call an audible at the line based on what he sees on the field [which again, he needs to address with his coach if he hasn't already], he still has the ability to change the play after the ball is snapped... improvisation, after all, is what MG is known for best.

it seems to me that, inexplicable coaching errors like the QB draw on 3rd and 15 aside [and yes, Gregory is a much bigger "problem" than Matt could ever be], Grothe is still sticking with the plays that are called.

the coaching staff has clearly decided that they want MG to be more of a pocket passer, and Grothe is clearly making an effort to sit in the pocket and see plays through... even though he is at his best when he follows his instincts and takes off running instead of forcing himself to sit in the pocket.

all i'm saying is, if MG has such a problem with the playcalling, MG is one of the few people who can actually affect the situation.

he is the star QB.  Jesus could be the 2nd stringer and CJL wouldn't bench him. 

any good coach would listen to his star Junior quarterback and rectify the problems that he sees on the field.  the problem can't be solved on a message board, other than complain loud enough about Gregory until the program does something about it.

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

i thought plays are called at the line by the coaches. they line up and look to the sideline for the audible

Archived