• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Cheap shot on Gramatica

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

I have only one (compound) question:

did the Army player(s) go "out of the basepath" in order to run him over?  or was he lined up right in the path of the team coming out of the locker room?

Good luck against Louisville and the rest of the season!

The Army team had to jog a good 45 yards out of the tunnel prior to reaching Grammatica....they could have altered their path by 3 feet. It was completely unneccesary and should have been flagged on the insuing kick off had a ref seen it.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

The Tampa Tribune is reporting the story.

Bowl Hopes Take Hit

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Oct 18, 2004

TAMPA - Even though Army rushed for 226 yards in the second half in its 42-35 upset of South Florida on Saturday, a run that didn't make the stat sheet summed up the Bulls' night.

As Army returned from the locker room after halftime, a Black Knight collided with USF kicker Santiago Gramatica, warming up on the field. It's unknown if the hit was intentional, but Gramatica was knocked to the turf, suffering a right shoulder injury that was wrapped on the sideline.

Rest of the story here

The story goes on to mention that Hall was injured, but doesn't say how.

Kizarvexis

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1

I am an Army fan and was at the game. When the team came running out for the 2nd half, one of our guys made contact with the kicker. I didn't think it was intentional but couldn't understand why he was running so close. The second contact was ABSOLUTELY intentional. I was very upset and disappointed because this is not the way we conduct our business.

I got a chance to meet many of your fans during and after the game. Without exception, they were welcoming and treated us tremendously. Walking in the parking lot after the game, many people congratulated  our win and wished us luck. It was very heart-warming.

One question for USF fans. Does the constant blasting of noise and cheerleading from the P.A. announcer actually get you into the game? I would think it would be more fun generating your own  noise and hearing your band more would be nice. Really not meant as a criticism but just wondering. Anyway, thanks for the reception and hopefully we'll meet OOC in the future

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451

IMO, this incident is no worse or at least very close to the NE C'Husker player punching the Mizzou fan who charged the field after that loss last yr in MO.  If Gramatica wooda been hurt & couldn't kick a potential winning FG in the game it wooda been devastating.  Santiago shoulda got the players' numbers, reported it to the team and retribution should have been exacted betw. the snap & whistle on those Army players by the Bulls.  That's just how a I feel about it.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Thanks Gridiron. You are right! That type of action is cheap and not accepted in a fine football program. Thanks for your insight. I hope other Army fans saw it and are repulsed by it too. Thanks again.   Reaper

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

army made usf their beetch

the fact that we didn't retaliate after the cheap shot  tells me something

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

Tampa Trib is reporting that Santiago dislocated his shoulder due to the hit during halftime warm-ups.

Gramatica Injured During Halftime Hit

A Tribune staff report

Published: Oct 21, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida senior K Santiago Gramatica suffered a dislocated right shoulder when he was blindsided by two Army players during halftime Saturday.

While warming up on the field, Gramatica was knocked to the turf by two unknown Army players as the Black Knights ran from the locker room to their bench. Gramatica's shoulder was ``popped back in'' and wrapped by trainer Steve Walz.

``I was upset about it at the time, but it's over,'' said Gramatica, who will play Friday at Louisville. ``I realize they didn't have any room to miss me - just the whole football field.''

the rest of the story

According to the rest of the article, Santiago didn't know if it was intentional (he was concentrating on kicking I expect) and Army hasn't commented (yet, I hope).

Kizarvexis